The U.S. Army's new Interim Combat Service Rifle (ICSR) program is rumored to have been canceled, just a few weeks after it launched. The project, announced last month, sought to procure a standard-issue infantry rifle chambered in the larger 7.62x51mm round.
The Army's rifle program fell victim to a "massive review of US Army small arms programs," unnamed military sources told The Firearm Blog in a Sep. 20 post. The report coincides with the news that budget uncertainty has led the Department of Defense to limit investment in new projects — and has caused consternation among service heads. In a letter to the Senate Armed Forces Committee earlier this month, Secretary of Defense Mattis warned that "continuing resolutions" — stopgap three-month budget bills to get around congressional disagreements, "impact the readiness of our forces and their equipment at a time when security threats are extraordinary high."
The new rifle was intended to give troops the ability to extend their effective range over the current M4 and to penetrate modern body armor. The program launched earlier this year with a "directed requirement" from the then-vice chief of staff, now-retired Army Gen. Daniel Allyn.
While the rumors that ISCR has been cancelled are not yet confirmed, Task & Purpose has reached out to the Army for comment.
Benjamin Franklin nailed it when he said, "Fatigue is the best pillow." True story, Benny. There's nothing like pushing your body so far past exhaustion that you'd willingly, even longingly, take a nap on a concrete slab.
U.S. Coast Guard Petty Officer 2nd Class Karl Munson pilots a 26-foot boat while Petty Officer 2nd Class Gabriel Diaz keeps an eye on a boarding team who is inspecting a 79-foot shrimp boat in the Gulf of Mexico, off the coast of New Orleans, La., on April 27, 2005
Radio transmissions to the U.S. Coast Guard are usually calls for help from boaters, but one captain got on the radio recently just to say thanks to the men and women who are currently working without pay.
DOVER AIR FORCE BASE, Del (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump traveled to Dover Air Force Base in Delaware on Saturday to receive the remains of four Americans killed in a suicide bombing in northern Syria.
Trump, locked in a battle with congressional Democrats that has led to a nearly month-long partial government shutdown, announced his trip via a pre-dawn tweet, saying he was going "to be with the families of 4 very special people who lost their lives in service to our Country!"
Former President George W. Bush is calling for an end to the partial government shutdown, which is about to hit the one-month mark and is currently the longest shutdown in US history.
In an appeal made on Instagram, the 43rd president called on "leaders on both sides to put politics aside, come together, and end this shutdown." The caption was posted with an image of him and former First Lady Laura Bush giving pizza to their Secret Service detail.