2 Arrested In Murder Of Marine In The Philippines After 5 Years In Hiding

Bullet Points
U.S. Marine Corps Maj. George Anikow speaks with villagers during a census patrol in Helmand province, Afghanistan, Aug. 18, 2009
U.S. Marine Corps/Sgt. Pete Thibodeau

Two men in hiding have been arrested for the death of a U.S. Marine killed in the Philippines more than five years ago.


  • Maj. George Anikow, from Howell, New Jersey, had served in Afghanistan before moving to the Southeast Asian country with his wife, an American diplomat.
  • The 41-year-old father of three was stabbed to death during a fight near his home outside Manilla in November 2012, though legal proceedings had resulted in his convicted killers avoiding prison time.
  • Galicano Datu III and Crispin dela Paz were charged after the case was downgraded from murder to homicide but were given probation, according to local news reports.
  • The judge in the case was later dismissed and had his retirement benefits stripped as a result of his "oppressive disregard" for evidence in that and other trials, leading to new arrest warrants.
  • Former U.S. Ambassador to the Philippines Philip Goldberg told ABS CBN that he was "disappointed" that no one had "served a day for that brutal crime."
  • But the American Embassy reacted Monday to the arrests carried out last week by saying it "welcomes" the moves against Datu and Dela Paz and praising Filipino authorities for "bringing some measure of justice to this senseless crime."

An obituary for Anikow in the Asbury Park Press said that in addition to receiving numerous awards in the military, he was an "an enthusiastic and beloved soccer and baseball coach" for his children and "always ready to help a neighbor or friend in need."

———

©2018 New York Daily News. Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.

WATCH NEXT:

Soldiers from the 1st Armored Brigade Combat Team, 3rd Infantry Division in their Bradley Fighting Vehicle during Marne Focus at Fort Stewart, Ga. during the week of Oct. 14, 2019 (U.S. Army photo)

Three soldiers were killed and another three injured when their Bradley Fighting Vehicle rolled over during a training exercise at Fort Stewart in Georgia on Sunday morning, Army officials announced.

Read More Show Less
U.S. Defense Secretary Mark Esper addresses reporters during a media briefing at the Pentagon in Arlington, Virginia, U.S., October 11, 2019. (Reuters/Erin Scott)

KABUL (Reuters) - U.S. Defense Secretary Mark Esper arrived in Afghanistan on Sunday in a bid to bring talks with the Taliban back on track after President Donald Trump abruptly broke off negotiations last month seeking to end the United States' longest war.

Esper's trip to Kabul comes amid questions about the United States' commitments to allies after a sudden withdrawal of U.S. troops from northeastern Syria and Trump's long-time desire to get out of foreign engagements.

Read More Show Less
Ummmmmm what? (Twitter)

Mark Esper is the third person after James Mattis and Patrick Shanahan to helm the Pentagon since Donald Trump became president, and he's apparently not making much of an impression on the commander-and-chief.

On Sunday, Trump sent a very real tweet on "Secretary Esperanto," which is either a reference to a constructed international language developed more than 130 years ago and only spoken on the PA system in Gattaca or an egregious instance of autocorrect.

Read More Show Less

The Army says it's settled on three defense contractors to battle it out to become the service's M4 carbine and M249 Squad Automatic Weapon replacements, but at least one other company is hoping that a bit of consumer approval could help upset the competition.

Read More Show Less

The U.S. reportedly offered a long-term plan to help North Korea develop a tourist area in return for denuclearization during recent working-level talks in Stockholm that ended with the North side walking out, according to a new report.

American negotiators had drafted a plan to help build up the Kalma tourist area, the South's Hankook Ilbo newspaper reported Saturday, citing an unidentified top South Korean diplomat. The report didn't say how the North Koreans responded to the offer, but chief nuclear negotiator Kim Myong Gil portrayed the U.S. as inflexible after the talks earlier this month, blasting the Americans for not giving up "their old viewpoint and attitude."

Read More Show Less