Here are all of the US troops deploying to the Middle East amid soaring tensions with Iran

news
U.S. Army Paratroopers assigned to the 173rd Airborne Brigade, along with British and Italian Army paratroopers, prepare to board a U.S. Air Force C-130 Hercules aircraft from the 86th Air Wing during airborne operations at Juliet Drop Zone, Pordenone, Italy Dec. 3, 2019. (U.S. Army/Paolo Bovo)

Soldiers with the 173rd Airborne Brigade Combat Team are deploying to the Middle East as part of an ongoing buildup in preparation for increased Iranian aggression in the region.

Army Col. Joe Scrocca, spokesman for U.S. Army Europe, confirmed to Task & Purpose that "elements of the 173rd Airborne Brigade deployed to ... bolster security, for force protection, and to be prepared for any contingency."


Maj. Chris Bradley, brigade spokesman, first told Stars and Stripes that troops from the brigade were "deploying to posture to defend U.S. personnel and property as directed." The 173rd ABCT is a rapid response force based in Vicenza, Italy. They will join thousands of troops who have already deployed, or are preparing to do so, including:

A spokeswoman for U.S. Central Command declined to provide Task & Purpose with a complete list of U.S. military units are deploying to the region in case Iran launches retaliates for the death of Maj. Gen. Qasem Soleimani, the former head of the Islamic Guard Revolutionary Guard Corps's elite Quds Force.

"We aren't going to talk about forces flowing into or out of the U.S. Central Command AOR at this time," said Army Maj. Beth Riordan.

As of now, the military buildup does not have an operational name, Riordan said.

Iran and its proxy forces in the Middle East have vowed to attack U.S. military personnel and bases as revenge for the U.S. airstrike that killed Soleimani on Friday.

"No American military staff, no American political center, no American military base, no American vessel will be safe," Iran Maj. Gen. Hossein Dehghan said in an interview with CNN on Sunday.

Iraqi lawmakers voted on Sunday to expel U.S. troops from the country, but the resolution is non-binding, meaning the prime minister would need to take further steps to finalize the move.

Update: This article has been updated to include comments from U.S. Army Europe spokesman Col. Joe Scrocca.

Roughly a dozen U.S. troops showing concussion-related symptoms are being medically evacuated from Al-Asad Air Base in Iraq to Landstuhl Regional Medical Center in Germany, a defense official told Task & Purpose on Tuesday.

Read More

In a Galaxy — err, I mean, on a military base far, far away, soldiers are standing in solidarity with galactic freedom fighters.

Sitting at the top of an Army press release from March 2019, regarding the East Africa Response Force's deployment to Gabon, the photo seems, at first glance, just like any other: Soldiers on the move.

But if you look closer at the top right, you'll find something spectacular: A Rebel Alliance flag.

Read More
The maiden flight of the first CMV-22B Osprey took place in Amarillo, Texas (Courtesy photo)

The first of the CMV-22B Osprey tiltrotor aircraft the Navy plans on adopting as its carrier onboard delivery (COD) aircraft of choice has successfully completed its first flight operations, manufacturer Boeing announced on Tuesday.

Read More
A soldier plugs his ears during a live fire mission at Yakima Training Center. Photo: Capt. Leslie Reed/U.S. Army

Another 300 lawsuits against 3M flooded federal courts this month as more military veterans accuse the behemoth manufacturer of knowingly making defective earplugs that caused vets to lose hearing during combat in Iraq or Afghanistan or while training on U.S. military bases.

On another front, 3M also is fighting lawsuits related to a class of chemicals known as PFAS, with the state of Michigan filing a lawsuit last week against the Maplewood-based company.

To date, nearly 2,000 U.S. veterans from Minnesota to California and Texas have filed more than 1,000 lawsuits.

Read More

GENEVA (Reuters) - North Korea said on Tuesday it was no longer bound by commitments to halt nuclear and missile testing, blaming the United States' failure to meet a year-end deadline for nuclear talks and "brutal and inhumane" U.S. sanctions.

North Korean leader Kim Jong Un set an end-December deadline for denuclearization talks with the United States and White House national security adviser Robert O'Brien said at the time the United States had opened channels of communication.

O'Brien said then he hoped Kim would follow through on denuclearization commitments he made at summits with U.S. President Donald Trump.

Read More