Get Task & Purpose in your inbox
The US Military Does Not Keep A Centralized Record Of All Its Airstrikes
Earlier in the week, Military Times reported that the count of U.S. airstrikes performed since October 2001 is off by thousands. It turns out, however, that there is no service or command-wide count of airstrikes at all.
“Since we started the global war on terror, there has been no requirement to report airstrikes to Congress or to anywhere, brought on by anybody,” according to U.S. Central Command spokesman Army Maj. Josh T. Jacques.
Essentially, in order to determine the total number of airstrikes carried out by the U.S. military, you would have to submit a FOIA request for the records of airstrikes from each individual command and service and tally them together.
“Different commands, as they came in, saw fit to report how they wanted to. Some didn’t,” Jacques told Task & Purpose. “I couldn’t tell you what they were reporting on in Iraq in 2005, or how they were doing it."
In ongoing operations, in Iraq, Syria, and Afghanistan, a daily report of all sorties is kept and shared with CENTCOM, but that process is specific to this command.
“For Iraq and Syria, our counter-ISIS strike information is reported daily,” Jacques said. “They do a daily release. When they started the operation, it was all air and nothing else … so those were tracked and have been continued to be tracked up until this point.”
He added, “So now, we go into [Operation] Resolute Support where we have Afghanistan. Those strikes are tracked and do include Army helicopters and USAF.”
According to Jacques, the discrepancy in reported airstrikes versus total airstrikes comes from a lack of standard recording and reporting requirement across the military.
“It was never brought up to do, so they don’t do it. The lack of not doing something doesn’t mean it’s not tracked,” Jacques added. “There was nothing nefarious going on because there was no requirement to report.”
Editor's Note: This article originally appeared on Business Insider
If you're in the market for a bunker in the southwest, you're in luck. A decommissioned missile complex is now on sale outside of Tucson for nearly $400,000. The complex was home to an armed Titan II missile for 24 years, before it was decommissioned in the 1980s.
The structure is listed with Grant Hampton at Realty Executives. Now, the home is back on the market, and these photos show what lies underground in Arizona.
The Marine Corps will investigate whether another Marine has ties to a white supremacist group after he allegedly made racist comments on neo Nazi message boards that have since been taken down, according to a Marine Corps official.
Vice News reporters Tess Owen and Tim Hume first reported on Nov. 8 that at least three people who posted on the new defunct Iron March message boards were service members, but their story did not include any of the troops' names.
Newsweek reporters James LaPorta and Asher Stockler were able to independently confirm the identity of one of those service members as an active-duty Marine: Lance Corporal Liam J. Collins, an 0311 Rifleman assigned to 1st Battalion, 2nd Marines at Camp Lejeune, North Carolina.
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Donald Trump said on Tuesday the United States knows the location of the third in command to Islamic State leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, who killed himself last month during a U.S.-led raid.
"We have our eye on his third," Trump said during the question-and-answer session following a speech at the Economic Club of New York. "His third has got a lot of problems because we know where he is too."