US Operator Killed In Yemen Is First To Die Under Trump’s Watch

news
DoD photo by Sgt. Daniel P. Shook

On Jan. 30, a member of SEAL Team 6 was killed and six others were injured in Yemen during the first counterterrorism raid authorized by new President Donald Trump. The fallen commando is also the first American service member killed in action while conducting operations against the al Qaeda affiliate in Yemen, which is embroiled in a bloody civil war between rebel groups and government forces.


“In a successful raid against al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) headquarters, brave US forces were instrumental in killing an estimated 14 AQAP members and capturing important intelligence that will assist the US in preventing terrorism against citizens and people around the world,” Trump said in a statement to CNN.

The operation was the culmination of a months-long planning phase that began under Obama and was handed over to the Trump administration. Trump campaigned on a promise to intensify the fight against global terrorism, and the daring raid seems to signify a commitment to doing so. Trump approved the raid last week, days after swearing in, and on the evening of Jan. 29, the SEALs were ferried into a mountainous region of Bayda Province in northern Yemen.

The surprise attack was carried out with the specific aim of gathering intelligence, CNN reports. The target was the home of an al Qaeda leader, where computer materials containing clues about future terrorist plots were believed to be held. Reaper drones and helicopter gunships provided cover for the commandos. As the operation got underway, one of the aircraft, a V-22 Osprey, made a hard landing that disabled the aircraft and injured two U.S. troops.  

According to The New York Times, the battle lasted for nearly an hour. The commandos were also assisted by warplanes, which bombed several houses in the village, causing some residents to flee. The U.S. military reports that about 14 Qaeda fighters were killed in the firefight, and that the brother-in-law of Anwar Al-Awlaki, the American-born cleric who died in a drone strike in 2011, was among the dead. Yemeni officials told the Times that women and children were killed as well.

Related: Ex-SEAL’s new memoir offers brutally honest account of Ramadi >>

Unable to evacuate the wounded, the disabled Osprey was destroyed in place by US airstrikes, and the American casualties were lifted off the battlefield by another aircraft. The names of the casualties have not yet been released, but in his statement to CNN, Trump acknowledged their sacrifice.

“Americans are saddened this morning with news that life of a heroic service members has been taken in our fight against the evil of radical Islamic terrorism,” he said. “My deepest thoughts and humblest prayers are with the family of the fallen service member. I also pray for a quick and complete recovery for the brave service members who sustained injuries.”

Every once in a while, we run across a photo in The Times-Picayune archives that's so striking that it begs a simple question: "What in the name of Momus Alexander Morgus is going on in this New Orleans photograph?" When we do, we've decided, we're going to share it — and to attempt to answer that question.

Read More Show Less
Members of the Syrian Democratic Forces control the monitor of their drone at their advanced position, during the fighting with Islamic State's fighters in Nazlat Shahada, a district of Raqqa. (Reuters/Zohra Bensemra)

MUSCAT (Reuters) - The United States should keep arming and aiding the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) following the planned U.S. withdrawal from Syria, provided the group keeps up the pressure on Islamic State, a senior U.S. general told Reuters on Friday.

Read More Show Less

President Donald Trump claims the $6.1 billion from the Defense Department's budget that he will now spend on his border wall was not going to be used for anything "important."

Trump announced on Friday that he was declaring a national emergency, allowing him to tap into military funding to help pay for barriers along the U.S.-Mexico border.

Read More Show Less

Long before Tony Stark took a load of shrapnel to the chest in a distant war zone, science fiction legend Robert Heinlein gave America the most visceral description of powered armor for the warfighter of the future. Forget the spines of extra-lethal weaponry, the heads-up display, and even the augmented strength of an Iron Man suit — the real genius, Heinlein wrote in Starship Troopers, "is that you don't have to control the suit; you just wear it, like your clothes, like skin."

"Any sort of ship you have to learn to pilot; it takes a long time, a new full set of reflexes, a different and artificial way of thinking," explains Johnny Rico. "Spaceships are for acrobats who are also mathematicians. But a suit, you just wear."

First introduced in 2013, U.S. Special Operations Command's Tactical Assault Light Operator Suit (TALOS) purported to offer this capability as America's first stab at militarized powered armor. And while SOCOM initially promised a veritable Iron Man-style tactical armor by 2018, a Navy spokesman told Task & Purpose the much-hyped exoskeleton will likely never get off the launch pad.

"The prototype itself is not currently suitable for operation in a close combat environment," SOCOM spokesman Navy Lt. Phillip Chitty told Task & Purpose, adding that JATF-TALOS has no plans for an external demonstration this year. "There is still no intent to field the TALOS Mk 5 combat suit prototype."

Read More Show Less

D-Day veteran James McCue died a hero. About 500 strangers made sure of it.

"It's beautiful," Army Sgt. Pete Rooney said of the crowd that gathered in the cold and stood on the snow Thursday during McCue's burial. "I wish it happened for every veteran's funeral."

Read More Show Less