Get Task & Purpose in your inbox
US sabotage may be behind Iran's embarrassing rocket launch failures
Iran tried twice in the past month to launch a satellite into space. Both attempts ended in failure, and it may not be an accident.
The U.S. has been secretly sabotaging Iranian missiles and rockets, the New York Times reported Wednesday, citing half a dozen current and former officials. Since the program began a little over a decade ago, 67 percent of Iran's orbital launches have failed. The global failure rate for similar launches is only 5 percent.
Started during the George W. Bush's presidency, the top secret program reportedly slipped problematic parts and materials into essential factories and supply chains. While it is difficult to verify the effectiveness of this sabotage operation, the US has had some definitive success with these so-called "left of launch" tactics.
In one incident, a short-range Iranian-made missile landed in Baghdad's Green Zone but failed to detonate. Sabotaged components were discovered inside when experts open the weapon up to examine it, officials told the Times' David E. Sanger and William J. Broad.
Iran has long faced tough sanctions, forcing it to rely on subpar suppliers for critical components. These targets have proven easier to infiltrate.
Given the secrecy surrounding these operations, it is extremely difficult to say which failures are the result of normal malfunctions and which are caused by U.S. tampering. Either way, the U.S. remains very interested in the program.
Tensions between Washington and Tehran have been on the rise, and the program has reportedly accelerated under the Trump administration.
"This past Tuesday, the Iranian regime tested a 'space launch vehicle' — which failed — that will provide Iran with critical information — if it didn't fail — that they could use to pursue intercontinental ballistic missile capability, and a capability, actually, of reaching the United States. We're not going to have that happen," President Donald Trump said after the first of the two recent launches in January.
The president's delivered his remarks as his administration unveiled the Missile Defense Review. He stressed that the US is ready to "detect and destroy every type of missile attack against any American target, whether before or after launch."
Iran insists that its space launch activities are unrelated to its missile program. The country launched its first satellite in 2009, and it followed that up with three more successes in 2011, 2012, and 2015. Those four successful launches were out of a dozen tries, the Times reported, citing Harvard astronomer Jonathan McDowell.
In one case in 2012, a rocket exploded on the launchpad, causing extensive damage that could be seen clearly in satellite images of the launch site.
The Times previously reported that the U.S. used similar "left of launch" tactics to target North Korea's missile program. The report called attention to North Korea's version of a Soviet missile. While the Soviet weapon had only a 13 percent failure rate, the North Korean missile had a shocking failure rate of 88 percent.
There has always been skepticism, though, about whether or not the U.S. was actually behind these failed tests. That is not to say the U.S. hasn't been trying to sabotage these programs; rather, it is simply unclear to what degree these programs actually work.
The Times said government officials asked them to withhold some details from their reporting, including the identities of specific suppliers to Iran.
Read the Times' report here.
Read more from Business Insider:
- North Korea's leader Kim Jong Un is 35 — here's how he became one of the world's scariest dictators
- Investigators keep finding evidence of Russian operations through social media, so Moscow is trying to bar soldiers from posting online
- The U.S. Army built upgunned Strykers to take on Russia, but these hard-hitting armored vehicles may have a fatal flaw
- Despite its 'powerful' strikes, Israel is failing to block Iran in Syria, a former top defense strategist says
- A Marine commando won the military's 3rd-highest award for taking out one of ISIS' deadliest weapons
WATCH NEXT: Iran's New Fighter Is An Omen Of Things To Come
Army and Air Force Exchange Service officials are warning soldiers and military families to be aware of scammers using the Exchange's logo.
In a news release Wednesday, Exchange officials said scammers using the name "Exchange Inc." have "fooled" soldiers and airmen to broker the sale of used cars, trucks, motorcycles, boats and boat engines.
KABUL (Reuters) - The Islamic State (IS) militant group claimed responsibility on Sunday for a suicide blast at a wedding reception in Afghanistan that killed 63 people, underlining the dangers the country faces even if the Taliban agrees a pact with the United States.
The Saturday night attack came as the Taliban and the United States try to negotiate an agreement on the withdrawal of U.S. forces in exchange for a Taliban commitment on security and peace talks with Afghanistan's U.S.-backed government.
Islamic State fighters, who first appeared in Afghanistan in 2014 and have since made inroads in the east and north, are not involved in the talks. They are battling government and U.S.-led international forces and the Taliban.
The group, in a statement on the messaging website Telegram, claimed responsibility for the attack at a west Kabul wedding hall in a minority Shi'ite neighborhood, saying its bomber had been able to infiltrate the reception and detonate his explosives in the crowd of "infidels".
Calling aviation geeks in New York City: The British are coming.
In their first visit to the United States since 2008, the Royal Air Force "Red Arrows" will perform an aerial demonstration next week over the Hudson River, according to an Air Force news release. F-35 Joint Strike Fighters, the Air Force Thunderbirds and Navy Blue Angels demonstration teams will also be part of the show.
Frances and Efrain Santiago, natives of Puerto Rico, wanted to show their support last month for protesters back home seeking to oust the island's governor.
The couple flew the flag of Puerto Rico on the garage of their Kissimmee home. It ticked off the homeowners association.
Someone from the Rolling Hills Estates Homeowners Association left a letter at their home, citing a "flag violation" and warning: "Please rectify the listed violation or you may incur a fine."
Frances Santiago, 38, an Army veteran, demanded to know why.
A West Point graduate received a waiver from the U.S. Army to sign with the Philadelphia Eagles on Friday, and play in the NFL while serving as an active-duty soldier.
The waiver for 2nd Lt. Brett Toth was first reported by ESPN's Adam Schefter, who said that Toth signed a three-year deal with the Eagles. Toth graduated from the U.S. Military Academy in 2018.