On a recent Saturday morning, residents of Skwierzyna, a sleepy town in western Poland, awoke to news that a local dentist and his two sons had been viciously assaulted during the night by a trio of English-speaking toughs.
Now, investigations are underway to determine whether the assailants were American service members.
“We take any allegations of soldier misconduct seriously and are fully cooperating with Polish authorities,” Master Sgt. Nathan Hoskins, a spokesman for the Atlantic Resolve Mission Command Element in Poznan, Poland, told Army Times in an email. “We appreciate the strong partnership we have with our Polish allies and surrounding community.”
Although the Army is refusing to disclose specific details about the incident — which occurred on the evening of Oct. 5 — until “the investigation is concluded,” local news reports cited by Stars and Stripes paint a troubling scene that unfolded after the suspects allegedly starting banging on an apartment door.
According to the reports, an attempt by the dentist and his sons to quell the raucous resulted in all three being thrashed so savagely that an ambulance was called. The culprits fled the scene.
As Stripes notes, Skwierzyna is about 60 miles from the city of Poznan, where the U.S. Army maintains a force of approximately 5,000 troops to deter potential Russian aggression along NATO’s eastern flank. The Army also garrisons armor brigade soldiers in Skwierzyna. Whether or not the suspects are stationed there, the Army will not say. No other identifying information has been released.
Polish authorities are currently spearheading the investigation, Hoskins told Stripes. “We are invited guests of Poland, and the Polish authorities have jurisdiction over any cases like this that occur within their country,” he said, adding, “I can’t speculate on whether or not they will release jurisdiction to U.S. authorities.”
To what extent the bloody ordeal will impact the strategic relationship between the U.S. and Poland remains to be seen. The latter would like the U.S. military to establish a permanent base on its soil and has even offered to pay for it.
Polish President Andrzej Duda said during a visit to the White House last month that the new garrison could be called “Fort Trump.” The proposal seemed to be well received by the American president.
Vice President Mike Pence repeated President Donald Trump's claim that "ISIS has been defeated" in Syria on Wednesday just hours after several U.S. service members were killed by an ISIS suicide bomber in Manbij, Syria.
Soldiers, family and community gathered in Morehead City to render honors and witness the transfer and memorial of U.S. Army Sgt James Slape Nov. 9-11, 2018. Slape will hold a temporary resting place in Morehead City before ultimately moving to Arlington Cemetery. Slape supported Operations Resolute Support and Freedom Sentinel in Afghanistan. (U.S. Army National Guard Photo by Staff Sgt Leticia Samuels, North Carolina National Guard)
An ISIS suicide bomber killed four Americans in Manbij, Syria, on Wednesday.
Sen. Jack Reed, D-R.I., left, and Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., center, members of the Senate Armed Services Committee, are disagreeing with President Donald Trump's sudden decision to pull all 2,000 U.S. troops out of Syria, during a news conference at the Capitol in Washington, Thursday, Dec. 20, 2018. (Associated Press/J. Scott Applewhite)
Sen. Lindsey Graham essentially laid the deaths of the unknown number of U.S. soldiers killed in a suicide bombing in Manbij, Syria, on Wednesday at the feet of President Donald Trump during a hearing on Capitol Hill, Bloomberg News reports.