Who’s The Jerk Who Hit US Troops In South Korea With A Fake Evac Order?

news
Service members of the North Korean People's Army photograph and look on as Gen. Vincent K. Brooks, United Nations Commander, Combined Forces Commander, and United States Forces Korea commander, and U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson visit the Joint Security Area inside the Korean Demilitarized Zone, Mar. 17, 2017.
U.S. Army photo by SFC Sean K. Harp

U.S. military personnel and their families were directed to to evacuate South Korea last week in what turned out to be a hoax, according to the Washington Post.


A string of phone and social media messages sent Sept. 21 under the guise of a Noncombatant Evacuation Operation (NEO) alert directed “all DoD family members and non-emergency essential DoD civilians” to evacuate the volatile peninsula.

The hoax began making the rounds to a handful of troops and their families, who quickly alerted their chain of command, according to Stars and Stripes. Within the hour, U.S. Forces Korea announced on Facebook that it “did NOT send this message,” and advised that troops, government employees, and their families living in South Korea to confirm with their chain of command that calls to evacuate were legitimate prior to pulling up stakes and heading for the hills.

“The good news here is: informed, savvy family members plus an engaged chain of command means no panic or over-reaction,” U.S. Forces Korea spokesman Col. Chad Carroll told Stars and Stripes. “We had no reports of anyone acting on message other than notifying the appropriate authorities.”

The U.S. military hasn’t said who they think sent the hoax evacuation order, and it’s still unclear whether any military networks were compromised, reports Stars and Stripes, but an Army advisory did urge recipients to pass those messages along to the service’s counterintelligence unit.

Related: North Korea Threatens To Shoot Down US Bombers After Trump’s ‘Declaration Of War’ »

American military forces in the Korean peninsula — roughly 28,500 troops, in addition to thousands of family members — rehearse these kinds of evacuations twice a year, according to the Washington Post, but the hoax comes at a precarious time. On Sept. 19, President Donald Trump threatened to destroy North Korea and dubbed dictator Kim Jong Un “Rocket Man” on the floor of the UN General Assembly before announcing another round of economic sanctions that week. In response, on Pyongyang threatened to explode a hydrogen bomb over the Pacific Ocean in response to “dotard” Trump’s provocations.

In the event of a real evacuation the military’s official plan cautions American servicemembers and civilians to pack light, prioritizing irreplaceable documents, first-aid kits, extra clothing, flashlights, and sleeping bags. It also recommends families prep ahead of a time, with a go bag containing all necessary legal documents, a few days rations, medicine, and a handheld radio. For the latter, it might be a good idea to think of a callsign ahead of time — maybe “Wolverines”?

WATCH NEXT:

Todd Rosenberg/AP

A West Point graduate received a waiver from the U.S. Army to sign with the Philadelphia Eagles on Friday, and play in the NFL while serving as an active-duty soldier.

The waiver for 2nd Lt. Brett Toth was first reported by ESPN's Adam Schefter, who said that Toth signed a three-year deal with the Eagles. Toth graduated from the U.S. Military Academy in 2018.

Read More Show Less
Indiana National Guard

The Indiana National Guard soldier who was killed on Thursday in a training accident at Fort Hood has been identified as 29-year-old Staff Sgt. Andrew Michael St. John, of Greenwood, Indiana.

Read More Show Less

QUETTA, Pakistan/KABUL (Reuters) - The brother of the leader of the Afghan Taliban was among at least four people killed in a bomb blast at a mosque in Pakistan on Friday, two Taliban sources told Reuters, an attack that could affect efforts to end the Afghan war.

Read More Show Less
(U.S. Army/Pfc. Hubert D. Delany III)

An Indiana Army National Guard soldier died Thursday night during a training accident at Fort Hood.

According to a Fort Hood press release, the soldier's injuries came from "a tactical vehicle accident in the training area." The name of the soldier is being withheld until the family is notified.

The incident, which occurred at around 10 p.m., will be investigated by the Army Combat Readiness Center at Fort Rucker, Alabama, the release said.

Nearly 32% of active-duty military deaths between 2006 and 2018 have been the result of accidents, according to an analysis from the Congressional Research Service.

The Army has had a number of vehicular deaths this year. In June, one West Point cadet was killed and 21 others were injured when a tactical vehicle rolled during training. A vehicle rollover at Fort Irwin, California killed one soldier and injured three others that same month, and in May, a rollover killed one soldier and injured a dozen others at Fort Polk, La.

Two aircraft from the Navy's Blue Angels demonstration squadron touched mid-flight during a Wednesday practice at Naval Air Station Pensacola, the Pensacola News Journal first reported.

Read More Show Less