Get Task & Purpose in your inbox
USS Carl Vinson Deployment Extends By A Month As Group Sails Toward Korea
The USS Carl Vinson’s crew is getting an extra month at sea as the strike group sails toward the Korean peninsula following much confusion over its initial orders.
The announcement by the group’s commander, Rear Adm. James Kilby, came after photos showed the aircraft carrier and its fleet of warships were nowhere near the divided peninsula as tensions over North Korea’s nuclear weapons program reached a peak.
“Our deployment has been extended 30 days to provide a persistent presence in the waters off the Korean peninsula,” Kilby wrote Wednesday on the group’s Facebook page.
“While all of us look forward to being connected with our friends and families, our nation requires us to be its flexible force, the away team, and as we have done time and time again through history, we won’t let her down now,” he added.
Earlier this month, President Donald Trump ordered the strike group to return to South Korea as a deterrent during a period when fears were high that the North would conduct another nuclear test to mark the birthday of its late founding father, Kim Il Sung, on Saturday.
“We’re sending an armada,” Trump told Fox News on April 11.
That plan was thrown into doubt when photos taken last weekend showed it operating nearly 3,500 miles away, off Indonesia. The confusion was caused by miscommunications between the White House and the Defense Department, the New York Times reported Tuesday.
The carrier group was finally on its way and is expected to arrive in the region next week, the Times quoted unnamed Defense Department officials as saying.
South Korea’s Yonhap news agency, citing an unidentified military source, also reported that the strike group was expected to arrive next week. It said South Korea and the United States were discussing plans to conduct a joint exercise after it gets here.
U.S. Pacific Command said the Carl Vinson and its accompanying warships had completed a shortened, long-planned joint exercise with Australia after leaving Singapore on April 8 but had canceled a scheduled port visit to Perth.
“The USS Carl Vinson Strike Group is proceeding to the Western Pacific as ordered,” the command said in a statement on Tuesday. “The Carl Vinson Strike Group is heading north to the Western Pacific as a prudent measure.”
Navy officials declined to discuss specific timing of future operations because of security concerns.
The announcement that the crew’s deployment was being extended means the carrier will return to South Korea just over a month after it was last here to participate in annual, bilateral war games.
Trump has signaled he will take a hard line in dealing with North Korea’s defiance, and both sides have traded threats of pre-emptive military action.
North Korea didn’t conduct a nuclear test on Kim Il Sung’s birthday, which is the country’s biggest holiday. Instead it staged a massive military parade in Pyongyang that featured what appeared to be a new type of intercontinental ballistic missile.
The North also tried but failed to launch what U.S. officials said was a medium-range missile on Sunday.
Many experts warned there was still time for another “provocation” from the North as it gears up to celebrate its army’s 85th anniversary on April 25.
The USS Carl Vinson strike group includes the flagship aircraft carrier, its air wing, the destroyers USS Wayne E. Meyer and USS Michael Murphy, and the cruiser USS Lake Champlain.
“Our mission is to reassure allies and our partners of our steadfast commitment to the Indo-Asia-Pacific region,” Kilby said. “We will continue to be the centerpiece of visible maritime deterrence, providing our national command authority with flexible deterrent options, all domain access, and a visible forward presence.”
He also thanked the families of the sailors on board for their continued sacrifice, understanding and support.
©2017 the Stars and Stripes. Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.
Editor's Note: The following story highlights a veteran at Iron Mountain. Committed to including talented members of the military community in its workplace, Iron Mountain is a client of Hirepurpose, a Task & Purpose sister company. Learn more here.
Jackie Melendrez couldn't be prouder of her husband, her sons, and the fact that she works for the trucking company Iron Mountain. This regional router has been a Mountaineer since 2017, and says the support she receives as a military spouse and mother is unparalleled.
Master Sgt. Larry Hawks, a retired engineer sergeant who served with 3rd Special Forces Group, is being awarded the Distinguished Service Cross on Friday for "valorous actions" in Afghanistan in 2005.
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A 40-foot-tall (12 meters) cross-shaped war memorial standing on public land in Maryland does not constitute government endorsement of religion, the Supreme Court ruled on Thursday in a decision that leaves unanswered questions about the boundaries of the U.S. Constitution's separation of church and state.
The justices were divided on many of the legal issues but the vote was 7-2 to overturn a lower court ruling that had declared the so-called Peace Cross in Bladensburg unconstitutional in a legal challenge mounted by the American Humanist Association, a group that advocates for secular governance. The concrete cross was erected in 1925 as a memorial to troops killed in World War One.
The ruling made it clear that a long-standing monument in the shape of a Christian cross on public land was permissible but the justices were divided over whether other types of religious displays and symbols on government property would be allowed. Those issues are likely to come before the court in future cases.
A relative of the man who opened fire outside downtown Dallas' federal building this week warned the FBI in 2016 that he shouldn't be allowed to buy a gun because he was depressed and suicidal, his mother said Thursday.
Brian Clyde's half-brother called the FBI about his concerns, their mother Nubia Brede Solis said. Clyde was in the Army at the time.
On Monday, Clyde opened fire with an AR-15-style rifle at the Earle Cabell Federal Building. He was fatally shot by federal law enforcement. No one else was seriously injured. His family believes Clyde wanted to be killed.