USS Fitzgerald Saved By Crew’s ‘Heroic Efforts,’ 7th Fleet Commander Says

news
Navy Vice Adm. Joseph P. Aucoin, commander of the U.S. 7th Fleet, speaks to members of the press about the Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS Fitzgerald during a press conference in Yokosuka, Japan, June 18, 2017.
U.S. Navy photo by Petty Officer 1st Class Peter Burghart


Standing before the severely damaged USS Fitzgerald at the vessel’s home port in Yokosuka, Japan on June 18, 7th Fleet commander Vice Adm. Joseph Aucoin praised the vessel’s crew for their heroic and swift action in response to the destroyer’s collision with a commercial ship last week.

“Because of the tireless damage control efforts of a resolute and courageous team, the ship was able to make its way back to port safely on its own power last evening,” Aucoin said at a  press conference.

On June 17 at roughly 2:30 a.m. the USS Fitzgerald, a U.S. Navy Arleigh Burke-class guided missile destroyer collided with a Philippine-flagged merchant vessel, the ACX Crystal, in the Philippine Sea, roughly 64 miles southwest of Yokosuka according to a Department of Defense press release.

The remains of seven USS Fitzgerald sailors have been recovered, according to a statement from the Navy.

Even though the vessel was listing badly on the starboard side, the crew was able to navigate the damaged destroyer into the heavily-trafficked Yokosuka port with a magnetic compass and backup navigation equipment, Aucoin said.

Related: Navy Identifies 7 Sailors Killed In USS Fitzgerald Collision »

The collision was “traumatic,” Auboin said at the press briefing. The Fitzgerald suffered extensive damage and three large compartments, a machinery room and two berthing areas for the vessel’s 116-person crew, flooded rapidly.

The Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS Fitzgerald returns to Fleet Activities Yokosuka following a collision with a merchant vessel while operating southwest of Yokosuka, Japan, on June 17, 2017.U.S. Navy photo by Petty Officer 1st Class Peter Burghart

The commander’s cabin was directly hit, trapping Cmdr. Bryce Benson inside. Benson is one of three sailors who were transferred by medevac helicopter to the U.S. Naval Hospital Yokosuka for treatment. All three patients are alert and under observation, according to a Department of Defense statement.

“The Fitzgerald crew responded professionally as all sailors are expected to fight the damage sustained to their ship,” Aucoin said at the conference. “They are known as the ‘Fighting Fitz,’ and the crew lived up to that name.”

The Navy will be launching an investigation into the collision, Aucoin said, adding that “we owe it to our families and the Navy to understand what happened.”

U.S. Special Presidential Envoy for Hostage Affairs Robert C. O'Brien arrives to the district court, during the second day of ASAP Rocky's trial, in Stockholm, Sweden August 1, 2019. (Reuters/TT News Agency/Fredrik Persson)

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Donald Trump on Wednesday named U.S. hostage negotiator Robert O'Brien as his choice to replace John Bolton as his national security adviser, making him the fourth person to hold the post in the Trump administration.

Read More Show Less

Editor's Note: This article by Gina Harkins originally appeared on Military.com, a leading source of news for the military and veteran community.

QUANTICO MARINE CORPS BASE, Virginia -- Textron Systems is working with the Navy to turn a mine-sweeping unmanned surface vessel designed to work with Littoral Combat Ships into a mine-hunting craft armed with Hellfire missiles and a .50-caliber machine gun.

Textron displayed the proof-of-concept, surface-warfare mission package designed for the Common Unmanned Surface Vehicle (CUSV) at Modern Day Marine 2019.

"It's a huge capability," Wayne Prender, senior vice president for Applied Technologies and Advanced Programs at Textron Systems, told Military.com on Tuesday.

Read More Show Less
Joel Marrable (Laquna Ross via CNN)

The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs put on leave an Atlanta-based administrator and reassigned the region's chief medical officer and seven other staff members while it investigates the treatment of a veteran under its care.

Joel Marrable's daughter discovered more than 100 ant bites on her father when she visited him in early September.

The daughter, Laquna Ross, told Channel 2 Action News: "His room had ants, the ceiling, the walls, the beds. They were everywhere. The staff member says to me, 'When we walked in here, we thought Mr. Marrable was dead. We thought he wasn't even alive, because the ants were all over him.'"

Read More Show Less
he amphibious assault ship USS Makin Island (LHD 8) returns to homeport at Naval Base San Diego on February 25, 2015. (U.S. Navy/ Mass Communication Specialist 1st Class Corwin Colbert)

SAN DIEGO, Calif. — A former U.S. Navy sailor was sentenced to 20 years in prison Monday for having sexual contact with a 14-year-old Oceanside girl in 2017, federal prosecutors in San Diego said in a statement.

Read More Show Less

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Known for acting on impulse, President Donald Trump has adopted an uncharacteristically go-slow approach to whether to hold Iran responsible for attacks on Saudi oil facilities, showing little enthusiasm for confrontation as he seeks re-election next year.

After state-owned Saudi Aramco's plants were struck on Saturday, Trump didn't wait long to fire off a tweet that the United States was "locked and loaded" to respond, and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo blamed Iran.

But four days later, Trump has no timetable for action. Instead, he wants to wait and see the results of investigations into what happened and is sending Pompeo to consult counterparts in Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates this week.

Read More Show Less