Get Task & Purpose in your inbox
The VA Mishandled Nearly Half Of PTSD Claims Linked To Sexual Assault
A new report by the Veterans Affairs Inspector General found that almost half of the sexual assault post-traumatic stress disorder claims denied during a four-month period in 2017 were incorrectly processed, potentially denying benefits to more than 1,000 veterans.
The report said in almost 30 percent of the cases, evidence was sufficient to request a follow-up medical exam, but none was requested.
Other cases were denied after staff failed to request private treatment records from veterans or did not make a required phone call. Ten percent of the denied claims were done so based on contradictory or insufficient medical opinions.
The Inspector General cited a lack of specialization in the Veterans Benefits Administration, who review claims, as well as the lack of additional reviews for complex cases and inadequate training.
In the report, the Inspector General cited 2013 data from the RAND corporation that found most sexual assault victims do not seek medical care immediately. This might affects a veteran’s military medical history, which the agency uses to award benefits.
To combat this, benefits staff is supposed to look for markers in the service record which might indicate a sexual assault, such as changes in performance, increased use of leave, or pregnancy and sexually transmitted disease tests around the time of the incident.
In the 2017 fiscal year, the VBA processed approximately 12,000 sexual trauma-related claims and denied 5,500. Investigators looked at a sample of 169 of them and found 82 were improperly denied. Extrapolated for the year, that figures out to almost 2,700 mishandled denials that year.
The Inspector General made six recommendations to the VA, including that the agency review all denied military sexual assault claims from October 2016 to September 2017. It also recommended a specialized group of processors be assigned sexual trauma cases.
In its response, the VA said it was developing a plan to review all denied sexual assault claims from October 1, 2016 through June 30, 2018, as well as claims denied so far in fiscal year 2019.
The Inspector General’s office said it would monitor and follow-up with the agency.
Read the full report below:
©2018 The San Diego Union-Tribune. Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.
CAMP PENDLETON — The military prosecution of a Coast Guardsman accused of murder began Wednesday with a preliminary hearing at Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton.
Seaman Ethan W. Tucker, 21, was arrested August 28 after a seven-month Coast Guard investigation into the January death of Seaman Ethan Kelch, 19, who served on the same ship as Tucker— the Kodiak, Alaska-based high endurance cutter Douglas Munro.
ANKARA (Reuters) - President Tayyip Erdogan said on Saturday Turkey would press on with its offensive into northeastern Syria and "crush the heads of terrorists" if a deal with Washington on the withdrawal of Kurdish fighters from the area were not fully implemented.
Erdogan agreed on Thursday in talks with U.S. Vice President Mike Pence a five-day pause in the offensive to allow time for the Kurdish fighters to withdraw from a "safe zone" Turkey aims to establish in northeast Syria near the Turkish border.
President Trump stoked confusion Friday by declaring the U.S. has "secured the Oil" in the Middle East amid continued fallout from the Turkish invasion of northern Syria that he enabled by pulling American troops out of the region.
It wasn't immediately clear what the president was talking about, as there were no publicly known developments in Syria or elsewhere in the Middle East relating to oil. White House aides did not return requests for comment.
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A U.S. State Department investigation of Hillary Clinton's use of a private email server while she was secretary of state has found no evidence of deliberate mishandling of classified information by department employees.
The investigation, the results of which were released on Friday by Republican U.S. Senator Chuck Grassley's office, centered on whether Clinton, who served as the top U.S. diplomat from 2009 to 2013, jeopardized classified information by using a private email server rather than a government one.
BYESVILLE — A Meadowbrook High School student removed from class last Friday for being intoxicated is now facing a felony charge after allegedly threatening to shoot people if the previous incident harmed his chances to join a branch of the United States military.
Gabriel D. Blackledge, 18, of Cambridge, is facing one count of making terrorist threats, a third-degree felony, filed by the Guernsey County Sheriff's Office on Thursday. Blackledge remained incarcerated in the county jail on a $250,000 bond with no 10 percent allowed, according to the sheriff's office's website.