This Veteran Will Soon Receive A Groundbreaking Prosthetic Leg

news
Jace Badia, a retired U.S. Army staff sergeant, came to U.S. Naval Station Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, Feb. 12-18 with the Soldiers Undertaking Disabled Scuba nonprofit organization to dive the waters of GTMO. Badia completed the dive portion of his rescue diver certification during the weeklong dive schedule.
Army photo by Sgt. Adrian Borunda

Army Staff Sgt. Jace Badia almost died in Ramadi, Iraq, on Nov. 11, 2006. While serving in the infantry with the 1st Battalion, 18th Infantry Regiment, 2nd Brigade Combat Team, 1st Infantry Division, his vehicle was hit by an improvised explosive device. The blast cost Badia his left leg, and he suffered severe injuries to his right leg.


He received a Purple Heart, and continued to serve, deploying twice as a counterintelligence specialist with the 513th Military Intelligence Brigade. Now medically retired, Badia has had nearly 100 surgeries, but the pain from his prosthetic socket still holds him back.

“Little bit of bruising, little bit of soreness, little bit of inflammation, it’s always painful at the end of the day,” Badia told CBS Denver.

But that will change on Feb. 22, when Dr. Ronald Hugate, a former military surgeon, gives Badia the world’s first permanent prosthetic leg without using osseointegration — the fusing of bone to a prosthetic rod.

“It’s a real game changer,” Hugate said.

The first time a permanent prosthetic attempt was on a Siberian Husky named Triumph in 2005, but an infection led to the later removal of two of the dog’s legs. But Hugate has been working to make sure nothing like that happens with his implant.

After 15 years in development, the design is finally ready. It involves surgically inserting a rod into the femur bone, which will fuse with a collar made out of porous metal.

“The skin and soft tissue will actually grow into this material,” Hugate added. This is what will prevent infection.

There is risk, obviously, being that this is the first time anyone has received a permanent prosthetic, but Badia is taking it in stride.

“It’s a 50/50 draw and I’m smiling toward the optimistic side,” he added.

Seven of the twelve Soldiers participating in the Army National Guard Military Funeral Honors Level 2 course at Fort Indiantown Gap practice folding the flag April 25. (U.S. Army National Guard photo by Staff Sgt. Zane Craig)

Retired Army Master Sgt. Mark Allen has died 10 years after he was shot in the head while searching for deserter Pvt. Bowe Bergdahl in Afghanistan.

Allen died on Saturday at the age of 46, according to funeral information posted online.

Read More Show Less

For U.S. service members who have fought alongside the Kurds, President Donald Trump's decision to approve repositioning U.S. forces in Syria ahead of Turkey's invasion is a naked betrayal of valued allies.

"I am ashamed for the first time in my career," one unnamed special operator told Fox News Jennifer Griffin.

In a Twitter thread that went viral, Griffin wrote the soldier told her the Kurds were continuing to support the United States by guarding tens of thousands of ISIS prisoners even though Turkey had nullified an arrangement under which U.S. and Turkish troops were conducting joint patrols in northeastern Syria to allow the Kurdish People's Protection Units, or YPG, to withdraw.

"The Kurds are sticking by us," the soldier told Griffin. "No other partner I have ever dealt with would stand by us."

Read More Show Less
Defense Secretary Mark Esper (Associated Press photo)

Defense Secretary Mark Esper said Sunday he and the Pentagon will comply with House Democrats' impeachment inquiry subpoena, but it'll be on their own schedule.

"We will do everything we can to cooperate with the Congress," Esper said on CBS' "Face the Nation." "Just in the last week or two, my general counsel sent out a note — as we typically do in these situations — to ensure documents are retained."

Read More Show Less

Most of the U.S. troops in Syria are being moved out of the country as Turkish forces and their Arab allies push further into Kurdish territory than originally expected, Task & Purpose has learned.

Roughly 1,000 U.S. troops are withdrawing from Syria, leaving a residual force of between 100 and 150 service members at the Al Tanf garrison, a U.S. official said.

"I spoke with the president last night after discussions with the rest of the national security team and he directed that we begin a deliberate withdrawal of forces from northern Syria," Defense Secretary Mark Esper said on Sunday's edition of CBS News' "Face the Nation."'

Read More Show Less

BEIRUT/ISTANBUL (Reuters) - Women affiliated with Islamic State and their children fled en masse from a camp where they were being held in northern Syria on Sunday after shelling by Turkish forces in a five-day-old offensive, the region's Kurdish-led administration said.

Turkey's cross-border attack in northern Syria against Kurdish forces widened to target the town of Suluk which was hit by Ankara's Syrian rebel allies. There were conflicting accounts on the outcome of the fighting.

Turkey is facing threats of possible sanctions from the United States unless it calls off the incursion. Two of its NATO allies, Germany and France, have said they are halting weapons exports to Turkey. The Arab League has denounced the operation.

Read More Show Less