Get Task & Purpose in your inbox
VA Will Open Emergency Rooms To Vets With 'Bad Paper' Beginning In July
The Department of Veterans Affairs announced Thursday that it would begin offering emergency mental health services starting July 5 to veterans with other-than-honorable discharges – following through on a departmental change that VA Secretary David Shulkin promised in March.
The change acknowledges the population of veterans has been denied needed care, but it doesn’t go far enough, according to a report released last week from Brown University and a statement from Vietnam Veterans of America, which has advocated for years on behalf of “bad paper” veterans.
“I applaud the VA for saying they’re not taking care of all the veterans and denying care. It’s a great first step,” said Ali Tayyeb, a Navy veteran and the co-author of Brown University’s June 20 report. “But it falls short of what the veterans community needs. It falls way short.”
Starting July 5, all VA medical centers will treat veterans who show up with an urgent need for mental health care. Veterans with other-than-honorable discharges can receive mental health care for up to 90 days, according to a VA statement. During the 90 days, the VA will determine whether the veteran’s mental health condition is the result of an injury incurred during their military service. If so, the veteran could be eligible for continued VA care.
“We want these former servicemembers to know there is someplace they can turn if they are facing a mental health emergency — whether it means urgent care at a VA emergency department, a vet center or through the Veterans Crisis Line,” Shulkin said in the statement.
During his first appearance before the House Committee on Veterans’ Affairs on March 8, Shulkin promised the change as a suicide prevention effort. He also said he’d open up the Veterans Crisis Line to veterans with other-than-honorable discharges, as well as counseling at about 300 vet centers across the country.
The March announcement drew applause from the committee, and advocates said it was a step toward righting a wrong. Some lawmakers and veterans advocates have long argued servicemembers with bad paper were, in many cases, unjustly released from the military because of mental health issues.
More than 13,000 servicemembers separated from the military for misconduct in recent years suffered from post-traumatic stress disorder, traumatic brain injury or another disorder and were prevented from receiving treatment from the VA because of their discharge status, according to a report from the Government Accountability Office released in May. Most of the servicemembers were given a “general” discharge, making them ineligible for some VA services. But 13,283 were given the more stringent “other-than-honorable” discharge, which disqualifies them from receiving VA health care.
“Previous VA secretaries have allowed the problem of denying health care to veterans with so-called ‘bad paper’ discharges [to] fester,” Vietnam Veterans of America President John Rowan said in a statement. “[Shulkin is] working to correct the VA’s self-imposed policies, which have denied care to our most vulnerable veterans for decades.”
The changes to provide emergency mental health care at medical centers, vet centers and through the Veterans Crisis Line could have already been in place at the VA, Tayyeb said.
The report from Brown University states vet centers have been open to veterans with bad paper discharges since they were first implemented in the 1970s. VA emergency rooms could’ve already provided emergency mental health care to all veterans under the VA’s rules on humanitarian care, and the Veterans Crisis Line did not previously ask veterans about their discharge status before counseling them.
Veterans can reach the Veterans Crisis Line by dialing 800-273-8255, then press 1, or text 838255.
“While Shulkin’s announcement represents a watershed moment… reforms currently on the table are far too limited, simply codifying a number of things the VA already informally does for veterans experiencing mental health crises,” the report reads. “Much more expansive changes are necessary.”
While Vietnam Veterans of America praised the changes, the group also asked for more to be done.
Along with the Veterans Legal Services Clinic at Harvard Law School and the San Francisco-based veterans organization Swords to Plowshares, Vietnam Veterans of America drafted legislation titled, the “Leave No Veteran Behind Act.”
According to a copy of the proposal shared with Stars and Stripes, the bill would expand services offered by vet centers, mandate the VA open health care to veterans who suffered military sexual trauma regardless of discharge status, and make veterans with bad paper discharges eligible for disability compensation if they honorably completed at least one enlistment.
It would also require front-line VA staff be trained on eligibility criteria and mandate the VA to publish an annual report on veterans with bad paper discharges and their ability to access VA health care, as well as to study the effect of discharge status on veterans’ risk of suicide.
The organizations sent the proposal to the VA and the House and Senate veterans affairs committees.
Tayyeb said the proposals in the draft would take “additional steps” to expand care. But he said Congress should also introduce legislation to limit how many bad paper discharges that the Defense Department issues.
According to a 2015 study from Swords to Plowshares, the number of other-than-honorable discharges has grown steadily since World War II, from 1 percent to nearly 6 percent of post-9/11 veterans.
“We’re trying to fix the issue after it has already happened,” Tayyeb said. “It’s like, after the meat has been put in the meat grinder, trying to put it together again. It’s best if we just didn’t put the meat in the grinder to begin with.”
View the full report from Brown University here.
©2017 the Stars and Stripes. Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.
The Marine lieutenant colonel who was removed from command of 1st Reconnaissance Battalion in May is accused of lying to investigators looking into allegations of misconduct, according to a copy of his charge sheet provided to Task & Purpose on Monday.
President Donald Trump just can't stop telling stories about former Defense Secretary James Mattis. This time, the president claims Mattis said U.S. troops were so perilously low on ammunition that it would be better to hold off launching a military operation.
"You know, when I came here, three years ago almost, Gen. Mattis told me, 'Sir, we're very low on ammunition,'" Trump recalled on Monday at the White House. "I said, 'That's a horrible thing to say.' I'm not blaming him. I'm not blaming anybody. But that's what he told me because we were in a position with a certain country, I won't say which one; we may have had conflict. And he said to me: 'Sir, if you could, delay it because we're very low on ammunition.'
"And I said: You know what, general, I never want to hear that again from another general," Trump continued. "No president should ever, ever hear that statement: 'We're low on ammunition.'"
This 400-pound feral hog is one of more than 1,200 that have invaded a Texas Air Force base since 2016
At least one Air Force base is waging a slow battle against feral hogs — and way, way more than 30-50 of them.
A Texas trapper announced on Monday that his company had removed roughly 1,200 feral hogs from Joint Base San Antonio property at the behest of the service since 2016.
In a move that could see President Donald Trump set foot on North Korean soil again, Kim Jong Un has invited the U.S. leader to Pyongyang, a South Korean newspaper reported Monday, as the North's Foreign Ministry said it expected stalled nuclear talks to resume "in a few weeks."
A letter from Kim, the second Trump received from the North Korean leader last month, was passed to the U.S. president during the third week of August and came ahead of the North's launch of short-range projectiles on Sept. 10, the South's Joongang Ilbo newspaper reported, citing multiple people familiar with the matter.
In the letter, Kim expressed his willingness to meet the U.S. leader for another summit — a stance that echoed Trump's own remarks just days earlier.
Constant deployments broke the Air Force's B-1 fleet. Now the service is facing a major bomber shortfall
On April 14, 2018, two B-1B Lancer bombers fired off payloads of Joint Air-to-Surface Standoff Missiles against weapons storage plants in western Syria, part of a shock-and-awe response to Syrian President Bashar al-Assad's use of chemical weapons against his citizens that also included strikes from Navy destroyers and submarines.
In all, the two bombers fired 19 JASSMs, successfully eliminating their targets. But the moment would ultimately be one of the last — and certainly most publicized — strategic strikes for the aircraft before operations began to wind down for the entire fleet.
A few months after the Syria strike, Air Force Global Strike Command commander Gen. Tim Ray called the bombers back home. Ray had crunched the data, and determined the non-nuclear B-1 was pushing its capabilities limit. Between 2006 and 2016, the B-1 was the sole bomber tasked continuously in the Middle East. The assignment was spread over three Lancer squadrons that spent one year at home, then six month deployed — back and forth for a decade.
The constant deployments broke the B-1 fleet. It's no longer a question of if, but when the Air Force and Congress will send the aircraft to the Boneyard. But Air Force officials are still arguing the B-1 has value to offer, especially since it's all the service really has until newer bombers hit the flight line in the mid-2020s.