Are you a veteran? Do you want to be an MMA fighter? The World Series of Fighting is still searching for veterans to fill spots for a promotional fight card — no former fighting experience necessary.
So far, roughly 50 veterans have submitted application videos to The World Series of Fighting since the organization’s “Who’s the Toughest?” competition last May. And the final two competitors that make it to a final round will square off on NBC Sports Network over Veterans Day weekend.
Veterans who submit fighting reels showcasing training and sparring are encouraged to share their life stories and military experiences as well.
President of the organization and six-time Muay Thai world champion Ray Sefo is reviewing all applicants to decide who will move forward and who gets cut.
“We are looking forward to embarking on this venture that will allow us to give back to our armed forces that serve our country and protect our freedom,” said Sefo in a statement.
The idea for the competition originated during discussion of a potential reality show about “veterans who found MMA and used MMA as a way to get fit again … and reintegrate [into society] after tours,” CEO Carlos Silva told Military Times.
Silva hopes to turn the competition in a biannual event. Winners of the competition can even go on to sign with The World Series of Fighting and have professional MMA careers. He also hopes the program will grow and female veterans will consider applying too.
With the USS Abraham Lincoln carrier strike group and a gaggle of B-52 Stratofortress bombers flexing their muscles in the Middle East, lawmakers are mounting yet another effort to repeal the post-9/11 legislation that could be used as a potential legal justification for a military conflict with Iran.
The House Appropriations Committee on Tuesday voted along party lines to add an amendment to the annual defense budget that would roll back the 2001 Authorization for the Use of Military Force that, passed just days after the September 11th attacks, provided a legislative blank check for the U.S. military to pursue terror groups around the world.
In what appear to be his first public remarks on U.S. national security since his resignation as Secretary of Defense, retired Marine Gen. James Mattis offered a word of caution to President Donald Trump amid escalating tensions with Iran on Tuesday.
"The United States should buy time to keep peace and stability and allow diplomats to work diplomacy on how to keep peace for one more hour, one more day, one more week, a month or a year," Mattis said during remarks in the United Arab Emirates.
"Iran's behavior must change," Mattis added, "[but] the military must work to buy time for diplomats to work their magic."
To many, he was the homegrown face of terrorist treachery who left a comfortable Marin County life to train for jihad with Osama bin Laden and fight for America's foes in Afghanistan. To others, he was a wayward teenage spiritual seeker swept up in the Global War on Terror.
This week, a generation after 9/11, the "American Taliban" will be a free man.