‘Veterans For Trump’ Supporters Deny Ever Joining Group

news
AP photo by Kyodo

A number of veterans claim that they did not give presidential candidate Donald Trump permission to use their names as part of his “Veterans for Trump” coalition, according to The Guardian.


Following Trump’s comments about former prisoner of war Sen. John McCain, a Republican from Arizona, a group of veterans purportedly pledged their support to Trump.

The New Hampshire group was formed when Trump commented that McCain, who spent more than five years as a tortured prisoner of war in Vietnam, was not a war hero.

The New York Times reported that Trump said, “He’s not a war hero. He’s a war hero because he was captured. I like people who weren’t captured,” in Iowa on July 18.

However, when The Guardian reached out to the 51-member organization, three said they had never even heard of Veterans For Trump before.

“I haven’t told anyone I want to get in on that. I’m not going to do any campaigning,” said Ernie Fusi, a World War II veteran who denies signing on.

Veteran Donald Richards and his wife Connie also deny having any connection to the group.

Trump’s campaign, however, is not backing down. One campaign spokeswoman claimed to have written confirmation of support from the New Hampshire veterans.

As of now, Trump’s website still lists Fusi and Donald and Connie Richards as members of the coalition.

After more than a decade and billions spent developing the consistently troubled F-35 Joint Strike Fighter, the Air Force is eyeing a new variant of the F-15 — much to lawmakers' dismay.

Read More Show Less
Islamic state members walk in the last besieged neighborhood in the village of Baghouz, Deir Al Zor province, Syria February 18, 2019. (Reuters/Rodi Said)

NEAR BAGHOUZ, Syria (Reuters) - The Islamic State appeared closer to defeat in its last enclave in eastern Syria on Wednesday, as a civilian convoy left the besieged area where U.S.-backed forces estimate a few hundred jihadists are still holed up.

Read More Show Less
Russian President Vladimir Putin fires a fortress cannon. (Associated Press/Sputnik/Alexei Druzhinin)

Russian President Vladimir Putin warned Wednesday that Russia will target the U.S. with new weapons should Washington decide to deploy intermediate-range ballistic missiles (ICBMs) to Europe following the recent death of a Cold War-era arms control agreement, according to multiple reports.

He threatened to target not only the host countries where U.S. missiles might be stationed but also decision-making centers in the U.S.

Read More Show Less
U.S. Air Force Airmen assigned to the 317th Airlift Wing walk to waiting family members and friends after stepping off of a C-130J Super Hercules at Dyess Air Force Base, Texas, Sept. 17, 2018 (U.S. Air Force/Airman 1st Class Mercedes Porter)

Editor's Note: This article by Gina Harkins originally appeared on Military.com, a leading source of news for the military and veteran community.

The U.S. Air Force has issued new guidelines for active-duty, reserve and National Guard airmen who are considered non-deployable, and officials will immediately begin flagging those who have been unable to deploy for 12 consecutive months for separation consideration.

Read More Show Less
Pictured left to right: Pedro Pascal ("Catfish"), Garrett Hedlund ("Ben"), Charlie Hunnam ("Ironhead"), and Ben Affleck ("Redfly") Photo Courtesy of Netflix

A new trailer for Netflix's Triple Frontier dropped last week, and it looks like a gritty mash-up of post-9/11 war dramas Zero Dark Thirty and Hurt Locker and crime thrillers Narcos and The Town.

Read More Show Less