Video Appears To Show American Special Operators Being Run Out Of Syrian Village

news
A Free Syrian Army fighter stands in front of a painting left by IS militants in Jarablus, Syria, Wednesday, Aug. 31, 2016. Turkish military officials say Turkish jets have struck four buildings in Syria's Islamic State group-held Zaghrah and Kuliyeh regions, destroying the edifices as well as "terrorists" inside. The officials also said Wednesday that Turkish artillery had fired 107 rounds at 25 "terrorist" targets in the villages of Zavgar and Kuliyeh since Tuesday. The villages are situated west of the key border town of Jarablus which was retaken by Turkey-backed Syrian rebels.
AP Photo

It could be years, maybe even decades, before the full details of the U.S. special operations mission in Syria comes to light.


Until then, they’ll continue to emerge only in bits and pieces in occasional fragments that surface on the internet with little or no context, as they did on Sept 16, when a video purportedly showing a convoy of American operators leaving a town in northern Syria after a confrontation with local rebels began circulating online.

According to Reuters, the incident involved between five and six American operators, and took place in the border town of al-Rai. The Americans were apparently there supporting Turkish-backed rebels battling the Islamic State as part of an operation called Euphrates Shield, which was launched last month to push ISIS from the border.

But it was a group affiliated with the U.S.-backed Free Syrian Army, and not members of ISIS, who apparently drove the Americans away.     

In the video, tanks (which appear Russian-made) and pickup trucks roll down a crowded dirt road. In the back of a few of the trucks, Caucasian men sporting helmets and body armor in the fashion of Western commandos stand or sit behind machine guns. Sitting shotgun in one truck, a commando casually throws up a “shaka” sign for the camera. The footage is bookended by footage of armed rebels chanting anti-American slogans.

At this point, it’s impossible to say what exactly drove the commandos out of the village, but a senior rebel source told Reuters that it was the protests that did it. According to the GlobalPost, threats of violence against the Americans can be heard in the video, and one of the protesters shouts, “We won’t accept any American here. We’re Muslims, not infidels.”

While the Syrian rebels may have succeeded in driving the Americans out of al-Rai, it’s important to note that they didn’t act on their threats. In the video, the chants give way to an almost ghostly silence when the commandos pass by, as if that portion was spliced in between the footage of the rebels chanting to create the illusion that the Americans were retreating, rather than simply driving away.  

Multiple sources, including the Pentagon and the Turkish military, confirmed to Reuters that U.S. forces were operating in the area at the time the incident reportedly occurred. The Wall Street Journal reports that 40 special operations soldiers are currently deployed to northern Syria to help Turkish government forces.

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Known for acting on impulse, President Donald Trump has adopted an uncharacteristically go-slow approach to whether to hold Iran responsible for attacks on Saudi oil facilities, showing little enthusiasm for confrontation as he seeks re-election next year.

After state-owned Saudi Aramco's plants were struck on Saturday, Trump didn't wait long to fire off a tweet that the United States was "locked and loaded" to respond, and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo blamed Iran.

But four days later, Trump has no timetable for action. Instead, he wants to wait and see the results of investigations into what happened and is sending Pompeo to consult counterparts in Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates this week.

Read More Show Less

That sound you're hearing is Army senior leaders exhaling a sigh of relief, because the Army has surpassed its recruiting goal for the year.

After failing to meet recruiting goals in 2018, the Army put the pedal to the metal and "did some soul searching," said Acting Army Secretary Ryan McCarthy, to ensure that they'd meet their 2019 goal. It must have paid off — the service announced on Tuesday that more than 68,000 recruits have signed on as active-duty soldiers, and more soldiers have stuck around than they expected.

Read More Show Less

Air Force Chief of Staff Gen. David Goldfein transformed into the Cigarette Smoking Man from "The X-Files" on Tuesday when explaining why UFO enthusiasts should avoid storming the mythical Area 51 installation in Nevada.

"All joking aside, we're taking it very seriously," Goldfein told reporters during the Air Force Association's annual Air, Space, and Cyber Conference. "Our nation has secrets, and those secrets deserve to be protected. The people deserve to have our nation's secrets protected."

Read More Show Less
Paul Szoldra/Task & Purpose

SAN DIEGO — A San Diego-based Navy SEAL acquitted of murder in a closely watched war crimes trial this summer has filed a lawsuit against two of his former attorneys and a military legal defense nonprofit, according to a complaint filed in federal court in Texas on Friday.

Read More Show Less

NATIONAL HARBOR, Maryland — The Air Force is reviewing whether some airmen's valor awards deserve to be upgraded to the Medal of Honor, Chief of Staff Gen. David Goldfein said on Tuesday.

Goldfein revealed that several airmen are being considered for the nation's highest military award during a press conference at the Air Force Association's annual Air, Space, and Cyber Conference. He declined to say exactly who could receive the Medal of Honor, pending the outcome of the review process.

Read More Show Less