Volunteers sought to attend funeral of Massachusetts WWII veteran with no surviving family

Community

A Lawrence, Massachusetts World War II veteran without any surviving family will be buried Thursday, and the community is asked to come together at his funeral.


James E. McCue passed away Thursday at 97 years old at Cedarview Healthcare Center in Methuen.

McCue is predeceased by his wife, Margaret, according to his obituary. He served with the Army during WWII and worked in the housekeeping department of Holy Family Hospital in Methuen before his retirement.

According to the Eagle-Tribune, Lawrence Veterans' Service Director Jaime Melendez and secretary Dawna Mackland-Rivera are looking for people to volunteer to attend his funeral.

State Secretary of Veterans Affairs Francisco Urena told the Tribune that the funeral would be a "teaching moment for younger generations — and even for those among us — to say and remember what we did for those veterans who at one point needed to be remembered."

McCue will be buried at the veteran's lot at Bellevue Cemetery in Lawrence on Thursday Feb. 14 at 1:00 p.m.

———

©2019 MassLive.com, Springfield, Mass. Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.

SEE ALSO: Hundreds Of Strangers Attend Funerals For Veterans Who Died Alone

Veterans Day at the Meuse-Argonne American Cemetery, 11 November, 2018. (U.S. Army/Erich Backes)
(Reuters/Henry Nicholls)

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. Justice Department unveiled 17 new criminal charges against WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange on Thursday, saying he unlawfully published the names of classified sources and conspired with and assisted ex-Army intelligence analyst Chelsea Manning in obtaining access to classified information.

The superseding indictment comes a little more than a month after the Justice Department unsealed a narrower criminal case against Assange.

Read More Show Less

The F-35 Joint Strike Program may be the most expensive weapons program in modern military history, but it looks as though the new border wall is giving the beleaguered aircraft a run for its money.

Read More Show Less

NAVAL BASE SAN DIEGO — Three members of the defense team for Navy SEAL Chief Edward "Eddie" Gallagher were revealed on Wednesday to have close ties to the Trump administration amid reports the president is considering the veteran Navy SEAL for a pardon on Memorial Day.

President Donald Trump's personal attorney, Marc Mukasey, 51, and longtime Trump associate Bernard Kerik, 63, a former New York City police commissioner, have joined Gallagher's defense team in recent months, both men told Task & Purpose on Wednesday.

Meanwhile, in response to a question from a reporter after a motions hearing, lead defense attorney Tim Parlatore confirmed that he had previously represented Pete Hegseth, the conservative Fox News personality who has been privately lobbying Trump since January to pardon Gallagher, according to The Daily Beast.

Read More Show Less
(DoD photo by Claudett Roulo.)

Former Navy SEAL Eric Greitens, who resigned in disgrace as governor of Missouri last year, is putting his uniform back on — just not as a Navy SEAL.

Greitens, who stepped down in May 2018 amid criminal charges related to an alleged extramarital affair, has become a reserve naval officer with Navy Operational Support Center — St. Louis, a spokeswoman for Navy Recruiting Command confirmed to Task & Purpose. The Kansas City Star first reported the news.

Read More Show Less
(Department of Veterans Affairs photo)

A Department of Veterans affairs employee allegedly placing cameras in the women's restroom of a VA office in Washington, D.C., NBC News reported on Thursday.

Read More Show Less