Get Task & Purpose in your inbox
Walmart Raises Sales Age For All Firearms To 21 In Wake Of Florida Shooting
Walmart announced Wednesday that it is raising the sales age for all firearms to 21, taking matters into its own hands as gun control efforts in Congress continue to stall in the wake of a deadly Florida school shooting.
“We take seriously our obligation to be a responsible seller of firearms,” the retail giant said in a statement.
The Walmart announcement came hours after Dick’s Sporting Goods declared that it will no longer sell assault rifles at its stores while also bumping up the sales age to 21.
Walmart took it a step further, pledging to also raise the sales age for all ammunition and remove toys from its website that resemble assault-style rifles such as the AR-15 — the military-grade weapon Nikolas Cruz, 19, used to kill 17 of his former classmates and teachers at the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Fla., earlier this month.
“Our heritage as a company has always been in serving sportsmen and hunters, and we will continue to do so in a responsible way,” the company said.
Walmart stopped selling assault rifles and high-capacity magazines in 2015. It has also stopped retailing so-called bump stocks — a device that allows semiautomatic rifles to fire as automatic ones.
The Dick’s and Walmart announcements deliver a decisive blow to the National Rifle Association, which staunchly opposes all gun control efforts.
The NRA has come under serious fire in recent weeks, and even President Donald Trump took some shots at the powerful gun lobby Wednesday.
“Some of you people are petrified of the NRA. You can’t be petrified,” he told a group of NRA-backed Republican lawmakers who have made sure that some gun control legislation has been stalled or blocked.
©2018 New York Daily News. Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.
A U.S. soldier died on Friday while in Syria supporting Operation Inherent Resolve, the Defense Department announced on Saturday.
A word that could once not be mentioned in court — torture — was front and center on Friday as a military tribunal prepares to take on the long-delayed trial of Khalid Shaikh Mohammed, the confessed chief plotter of the 9/11 attacks, and four other defendants.
"I know torture's a dirty word," defense attorney Walter Ruiz told the tribunal. "I'll tell you what, judge, I'm not going to sanitize this for their concerns."
The suspect in the death of 21-year-old U.S. Marine Cpl. Tyler Wallingford, who was fatally shot in the barracks of the U.S. Marine Corps Air Station Beaufort more than nine months ago, was found guilty in military court of involuntary manslaughter earlier this month and sentenced to more than five years.
A 19-year-old Army private who died during basic training earlier this month was posthumously promoted to private first class, just before friends and family gathered for a memorial service to honor his life on Jan. 16.