Get Task & Purpose in your inbox
Wanted: Full-Time Associate Editor In Our NYC Office
Task & Purpose, a rapidly growing news and culture site geared toward the modern military and veterans community, is looking to add a full-time associate editor to join our New York City office.
As an associate editor with a popular military news startup, you’ll work closely with Task & Purpose’s senior editors and staff writers to help conceive and execute big ideas that are reaching millions of readers every month.
If you’re an engaged, driven, and dynamic editor, and want to join a team devoted to giving voice to the new generation of American veterans emerging after the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, this could be a great opportunity for you.
- Collaborate with Task & Purpose editors and writers to make daily coverage decisions in a small, but fast-paced environment.
- Collaborate with contributor network of 200+ writers from various military backgrounds.
- Copy edit/fact check daily articles from staff writers and broader contributor network.
- Shape style guide to ensure that language is clear and consistent.
- Ensure that stories are factually correct and maintain a Task & Purpose voice.
- Help shape social copy and headlines so that content is shareable and engaging.
- Pitch stories for the web, including news, features, human interest pieces, and well as multimedia articles within their respective verticals.
- Maintain active social media channels as an extension of your professional and/or personal life.
- Strong interest in military/veterans news and affairs; informed on current events and topics related to military and veterans space.
- Strong work ethic; ability to multi-task and take initiative with new ideas and projects is an absolute must.
- 1 to 3+ years of professional experience in copy editing and/or journalism field
- Expertise and prior experience using AP style
- Journalism experience/degree or technical writing background
- Experience working with online content management systems required
- Moderate knowledge of search engine optimization best practices
- Ability to meet deadlines and be extremely detail-oriented
- An analytical approach to major stories, and a passion for digging into everything from fine-grain policy issues to big-picture current events
- Understanding of how storytelling works in a digital age.
- Must be outgoing, self starter, and eager to pitch new ideas.
- Military experience or connection helps, but isn’t as necessary as a critical mind and a passion for news.
Applicants must be located in or able to relocate to New York City. This position full-time and includes competitive salary and health insurance benefits. Salary will commensurate with experience.
If you’re interested, please send a resume, cover letter, and links to your portfolio, or at least three relevant pieces of sample work, to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: Associate Editor — [Last name].
The 2020 National Defense Authorization Act would allow service members to seek compensation when military doctors make mistakes that harm them, but they would still be unable to file medical malpractice lawsuits against the federal government.
On Monday night, Congress announced that it had finalized the NDAA, which must be passed by the House and Senate before going to President Donald Trump. If the president signs the NDAA into law, it would mark the first time in nearly seven decades that U.S. military personnel have had legal recourse to seek payment from the military in cases of medical malpractice.
A major serving at U.S. Army Cyber Command has been charged with distributing child pornography, according to the Justice Department.
Maj. Jason Michael Musgrove, who is based at Fort Gordon, Georgia, has been remanded to the U.S. Marshals service, a news release from the U.S. Attorney's Office for the Southern District of Georgia says.
Navy senior leaders could decide whether or not to approve the new I-Boot 5 early in 2020, said Rob Carroll, director of the uniform matters office at the Chief of Naval Personnel's office.
"The I-Boot 5 is currently wrapping up its actual wear test, its evaluation," Carroll told Task & Purpose on Monday. "We're hoping that within the first quarter of calendar year 2020 that we'll be able to present leadership with the information that they need to make an informed decision."
Oklahoma Congresspeople slam private housing contractor at Tinker Air Force Base for negligence, fraud
U.S. Sen. Jim Inhofe and U.S. Rep. Kendra Horn leveled harsh criticism last week at the contractor accused of negligence and fraudulent activity while operating private housing at Tinker Air Force Base and other military installations.
Inhofe, chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee, referred to Balfour Beatty Communities as "notorious." Horn, a member of the House Armed Services Committee, told a company executive she was "incredibly disappointed you have failed to live up to your responsibility for taking care of the people that are living in these houses."
The Saudi national who killed three students on a U.S. Naval Air station in Pensacola was in the United States on a training exchange program.
On Sunday, Sen. Rick Scott said the United States should suspend that program, which brings foreign nationals to America for military training, pending a "full review."