Task & Purpose, a rapidly growing news and culture site geared toward the modern military and veterans community, is looking to add to several full-time journalists to our New York City office.
As a writer with a popular military news startup, you’ll have the chance to engage in every aspect of the editorial process, from researching and writing stories, to copy-editing and managing a small network of contributors.
You’ll work closely with Task & Purpose’s senior editors to help conceive and execute the big ideas that propelled this platform to 1 million unique monthly pageviews in less than a year. In addition building your own byline, you’ll also engage with the Task & Purpose team on everything from site analytics to developing editorial strategies for building and growing our audience.
If you’re an engaged, driven, and dynamic journalist, and want to join a team devoted to giving voice to the new generation of American veterans emerging after the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, this could be a great opportunity for you.
We’re looking for writers to cover the following verticals:
- Military gear/technology
- Military spouse/family issues
- Military/veterans news
- Military transition, career, and education
- Military culture/entertainment/lifestyle
- Pitch and write stories for the web, including news, features, human interest pieces, and well as multimedia articles within their respective verticals.
- File multiple stories per week, from long-form articles, to short takes on current news and issues.
- Take a point role gathering, verifying and confirming breaking news.
- Write news stories that people want to share, matching format to topic.
- Embrace new, innovative, and fun ways to tell stories on the web.
- Manage small network of T&P contributors within respective vertical and edit high-quality pieces for publication.
- Maintain active social media channels as an extension of your professional and/or personal life.
- Strong interest in military/veterans news and affairs; informed on current events and topics related to military and veterans space.
- 2+ years experience both writing and editing in a journalistic capacity and can demonstrate experience with sample work.
- Well-honed reporting skills, with the ability to write quickly and accurately, with heart and passion.
- Demonstrated understanding of AP style and journalism fundamentals from copyediting to fact checking.
- Ability to focus on ideas, not just news, putting ideas at the center of all T&P content. We don’t chase daily news or simply relay facts, we detail how and why the news applies to the military and veterans community.
- An analytical approach to major stories, and a passion for digging into everything from fine-grain policy issues to big-picture current events
- Understanding of how storytelling works in a digital age.
- Ability to file clean copy on deadline.
- Must be outgoing, self starter, and eager to pitch new ideas.
- Military experience or connection helps, but isn’t as necessary as a critical mind and a passion for news.
Applicants must be located in or able to relocate to New York City. These positions are full-time and include competitive salary and health insurance benefits. Salary will commensurate with experience.
If you’re interested, please send a resume, cover letter, and links to your portfolio, or at least three relevant pieces of sample work, to [email protected] with the subject line: Staff Writer Application 2015 [Specific Vertical] — [Last name].