Watch Russian Jets Buzz A US Navy Destroyer In The Baltic Sea

news
The guided missile destroyer USS Donald Cook (DDG 75) transits the Dardanelles while en route to the Black Sea April 10, 2014.
U.S. Navy photo by Mass Communication Specialist Seaman Edward Guttierrez

The Cold War-era Su-24 “Fencer” strike jet was designed to penetrate enemy air defenses at low levels. And a pair of Russian Su-24s appeared to be testing their ability to do just that when they flew a series of simulated attacks runs on the USS Donald Cook soon after it departed from the Polish port of Gdynia.


The first round of simulated attacks runs, on April 11, occurred when the USS Donald Cook, a guided missile destroyer, was approximately 70 nautical miles from port in the Baltic Sea. Two unarmed Su-24s made a total of 20 passes on the U.S. Navy warship, flying within 1,000 yards of the vessel and at an altitude of 100 feet — low enough to create wakes in the water.

The second round occurred on April 12, when, again, two unarmed Su-24s made simulated low-level attack runs on the USS Donald Cook. This time they were accompanied by a pair of Ka-27 Helix helicopters, which flew circles around the destroyer, apparently taking pictures.

The two incidents were “more aggressive than anything we’ve seen in some time,” a senior American defense official told CBS News, who first reported the story.

In a statement, the U.S. European Command (EUCOM) said: “We have deep concerns about the unsafe and unprofessional Russian flight maneuvers. These actions have the potential to unnecessarily escalate tensions between countries, and could result in a miscalculation or accident that could cause serious injury or death.”

The below footage, released by EUCOM, shows the simulated attacks from the perspective of American sailors aboard the USS Donald Cook.

Lorena Mendez hung up on a representative from the Stephen Siller Tunnel to Towers Foundation when the organization called to offer her a mortgage-free home as a widow of a serviceman.

She assumed it was a scam.

Mendez is the widow of Marine Lance Cpl. Norberto Mendez-Hernandez, who enlisted in the Marines in 2010 and was killed in action in Afghanistan in 2011. He was 22 years old.

At the time, his son Anthony was 3 years old and he had a newborn daughter, Audrey.

"I hung up on them a couple of times before I Googled them and then I called them back crying," Mendez said as she stood in the kitchen of her new home Tuesday in Horizon City. Her children, now 11 and 9, stood next to her, smiling.

Read More

KABUL/PESHAWAR, Pakistan (Reuters) - The Taliban will implement a 10-day ceasefire with U.S. troops, a reduction in violence with Afghan forces and discussions with Afghan government officials if it reaches a deal with U.S. negotiators in talks in Doha, two sources have said.

If an agreement is sealed, it could revive hopes for a long-term solution to the conflict in Afghanistan.

Read More
U.S. Navy/Chief Mass Communication Specialist Dan Mennuto

The Defense Department announced on Friday that training would resume for international military students — once some additional policies and security measures were put in place.

Read More

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A U.S. House of Representatives committee renewed a threat on Friday to subpoena Secretary of State Mike Pompeo if he does not provide information about Iran policy and President Donald Trump's ordering of the strike that killed an Iranian military commander.

Representative Eliot Engel, the Democratic chairman of the House Foreign Affairs Committee, said he scheduled a public hearing with Pompeo for Wednesday, Jan. 29.

Read More
Abu Abdul Bari (Twitter/@AliBaroodi)

Iraqi security forces earlier this week captured a larger-than-life ISIS official so massive that authorities were forced to haul him off in the bed of a police pickup truck after his arrest.

Read More