West Point cadet killed, 22 others injured in vehicle accident

news

Soldiers assigned to various units head out in their Light Medium Tactical Vehicles to deliver supplies and aid to the areas affected by the effects of Hurricane Florence at Fort Bragg, North Carolina, Sept. 15, 2018.

(U.S. Army photo by Spc. Andrew McNeil / 22nd Mobile Public Affairs Detachment)

A West Point cadet was killed in a tactical vehicle rollover Thursday that injured 20 other cadets and two soldiers, the U.S. Military Academy has announced.


The injured cadets and soldiers are being treated for non-life threatening injuries, such as facial cuts and one broken arm, Col. Brett Venable, commander of Kelly Army Community Hospital, told reporters on Thursday.

Driven by two soldiers, the Light Tactical Vehicle was taking the rising seniors to a "standard training exercise" at a land navigation course when it rolled over, said West Point Superintendent Lt. Gen. Darryl Williams.

"Today was a tragic day for the West Point community and our United States Army," Williams said at a brief news conference on Thursday. "Our thoughts and prayers are with families of the deceased and our injured."

Williams declined to say where the cadet who was killed was sitting in the vehicle or what injuries the cadet sustained. Army officials are in the process of notifying the cadet's family, he said.

The superintendent also said he was not concerned that too many cadets had been loaded into the vehicle at the time of the accident.

The incident is under investigation.

"It is not common for these vehicles to turn over," Williams said. "It's very rough terrain. You can see the hills we have here. We want to make sure that our soldiers and our cadets train in a realistic training environment, so this part of our realistic training."

President Donald Trump tweeted on Thursday that he was saddened by the accident involving "GREAT West Point Cadets."

"We mourn the loss of life and pray for the injured," Trump tweeted. "God Bless them ALL!"

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo also issued a statement on Thursday saying he was heartbroken over the accident.

"These courageous cadets and soldiers represent the best of New York State and our country, and we owe them a debt of gratitude for their bravery in choosing to serve our country and protect our freedoms," Cuomo said. "This incident is made all the more heart wrenching as we commemorate the 75th anniversary of D-Day today, a day where we remember those who gave their lives for our country."

UPDATE: This story was updated on June 6 with comments from President Donald Trump, Lt. Gen. Daryl Williams ,and Col. Brett Venable.

US Marine Corps

The Marine lieutenant colonel who was removed from command of 1st Reconnaissance Battalion in May is accused of lying to investigators looking into allegations of misconduct, according to a copy of his charge sheet provided to Task & Purpose on Monday.

Read More Show Less

President Donald Trump just can't stop telling stories about former Defense Secretary James Mattis. This time, the president claims Mattis said U.S. troops were so perilously low on ammunition that it would be better to hold off launching a military operation.

"You know, when I came here, three years ago almost, Gen. Mattis told me, 'Sir, we're very low on ammunition,'" Trump recalled on Monday at the White House. "I said, 'That's a horrible thing to say.' I'm not blaming him. I'm not blaming anybody. But that's what he told me because we were in a position with a certain country, I won't say which one; we may have had conflict. And he said to me: 'Sir, if you could, delay it because we're very low on ammunition.'

"And I said: You know what, general, I never want to hear that again from another general," Trump continued. "No president should ever, ever hear that statement: 'We're low on ammunition.'"

Read More Show Less

At least one Air Force base is waging a slow battle against feral hogs — and way, way more than 30-50 of them.

A Texas trapper announced on Monday that his company had removed roughly 1,200 feral hogs from Joint Base San Antonio property at the behest of the service since 2016.

Read More Show Less

In a move that could see President Donald Trump set foot on North Korean soil again, Kim Jong Un has invited the U.S. leader to Pyongyang, a South Korean newspaper reported Monday, as the North's Foreign Ministry said it expected stalled nuclear talks to resume "in a few weeks."

A letter from Kim, the second Trump received from the North Korean leader last month, was passed to the U.S. president during the third week of August and came ahead of the North's launch of short-range projectiles on Sept. 10, the South's Joongang Ilbo newspaper reported, citing multiple people familiar with the matter.

In the letter, Kim expressed his willingness to meet the U.S. leader for another summit — a stance that echoed Trump's own remarks just days earlier.

Read More Show Less

Editor's Note: This article by Oriana Pawlyk originally appeared on Military.com, a leading source of news for the military and veteran community.

On April 14, 2018, two B-1B Lancer bombers fired off payloads of Joint Air-to-Surface Standoff Missiles against weapons storage plants in western Syria, part of a shock-and-awe response to Syrian President Bashar al-Assad's use of chemical weapons against his citizens that also included strikes from Navy destroyers and submarines.

In all, the two bombers fired 19 JASSMs, successfully eliminating their targets. But the moment would ultimately be one of the last — and certainly most publicized — strategic strikes for the aircraft before operations began to wind down for the entire fleet.

A few months after the Syria strike, Air Force Global Strike Command commander Gen. Tim Ray called the bombers back home. Ray had crunched the data, and determined the non-nuclear B-1 was pushing its capabilities limit. Between 2006 and 2016, the B-1 was the sole bomber tasked continuously in the Middle East. The assignment was spread over three Lancer squadrons that spent one year at home, then six month deployed — back and forth for a decade.

The constant deployments broke the B-1 fleet. It's no longer a question of if, but when the Air Force and Congress will send the aircraft to the Boneyard. But Air Force officials are still arguing the B-1 has value to offer, especially since it's all the service really has until newer bombers hit the flight line in the mid-2020s.

Read More Show Less