White House Brushes Off Calls For Updated AUMF To Place Limits On Global War on Terror

news
U.S. Army infantrymen with Company A, 1st Battalion, 8th Infantry Regiment, 3rd Armored Brigade Combat Team (“Iron Brigade”), 4th Infantry Division, conduct an air assault with the 3rd General Support Aviation Battalion, 10th Combat Aviation Brigade during the U.S. Army Europe Combined Resolve IX exercise at the 7th Army Training Command’s Grafenwoehr Training Area, Germany, Aug. 24, 2017.
Photo via DoD

Despite calls from members of both parties, President Donald Trump will not propose an updated authorization for the use of military force (AUMF) measure to cover ongoing U.S. operations against groups like al-Qaeda, the Islamic State and others, a White House National Security Council official said on Sept. 7.


White House officials have concluded they have ample legal authorities to continue conducting such military missions.

“The administration is not seeking a new AUMF, as the U.S. has sufficient legal authority to prosecute the campaign against the Taliban, al-Qaida, and associated forces, including against ISIS,” the NSC official said.

The news that the administration would not propose a new AUMF came less than hour after Speaker Paul D. Ryan said there should be a new one and the administration should take the lead on it.

“I think it’s in our interest to have a new one; I just want to make sure we have one that works for our warfighters,” the Wisconsin Republican said at his weekly news conference Thursday.

Pressed on what that would entail, Ryan said, “I think the administration should take the lead on what the AUMF looks like.”

In 2015, President Barack Obama sent a draft AUMF to Congress, but it went nowhere. Lawmakers in both chambers objected to various parts of that measure, and then were unable to agree to terms for their own authorization measure.

Ryan said he did not like Obama’s AUMF Obama sent to Congress during his tenure because he thought it tied the military’s hands.

“What matters in my opinion is that we have one that respects the fight in front of us,” he said, noting that ISIS has expanded its reach to areas like Libya and the Arabian Peninsula.

The United States has also expanded its military involvement beyond Afghanistan, which was the focus when Congress last passed an AUMF in 2001.

“We’ve got a lot of fights on our hand in order to keep the American people safe,” Ryan said.

The speaker has previously answered questions about the AUMF in saying that the existing AUMF provides the administration with the authority he needs, so his decision to suggest a new one Thursday rather than repeat that talking point was poor timing with the administration’s announcement that followed.

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi also said Thursday she thinks Congress should revisit the AUMF.

“I would hope that we would always revisit something that’s, what now? 16 years old but in a whole different world,” she said.

Pelosi said it was Speaker John A. Boehner who requested Obama send the 2015 AUMF proposal, but House Republicans then ignored it.

Pelosi said she expects the GOP-controlled Congress — if they were to craft a new AUMF — would actually give Trump more authority than he has under the existing one.

“I think we should revisit it,” she emphasized, “but I don’t see that happening soon.”

———

©2017 CQ-Roll Call, Inc., All Rights Reserved. Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.

Photo: US District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia

A former sailor who was busted buying firearms with his military discount and then reselling some of them to criminals is proving to be a wealth of information for federal investigators.

Julio Pino used his iPhone to record most, if not all, of his sales, court documents said. He even went so far as to review the buyers' driver's license on camera.

It is unclear how many of Pino's customer's now face criminal charges of their own. Federal indictments generally don't provide that level of detail and Assistant U.S. Attorney William B. Jackson declined to comment.

Read More Show Less
Photo illustration by Paul Szoldra/Task & Purpose

It all began with a medical check.

Carson Thomas, a healthy and fit 20-year-old infantryman who had joined the Army after a brief stint in college, figured he should tell the medics about the pain in his groin he had been feeling. It was Feb. 12, 2012, and the senior medic looked him over and decided to send him to sick call at the base hospital.

It seemed almost routine, something the Army doctors would be able to diagnose and fix so he could get back to being a grunt.

Now looking back on what happened some seven years later, it was anything but routine.

Read More Show Less
U.S. Army Cpt. Katrina Hopkins and Chief Warrant Officer 2 James Rogers, assigned to Task Force Warhorse, pilot a UH-60 Black Hawk helicopter during a medical evacuation (MEDEVAC) operation at Camp Taji, Iraq, Dec. 18, 2018. (U.S. Army photo by Spc. Javion Siders)

U.S. forces must now ask the Iraqi military for permission to fly in Iraqi airspace before coming to the aid of U.S. troops under fire, a top military spokesman said.

However, the mandatory approval process is not expected to slow down the time it takes the U.S. military to launch close air support and casualty evacuation missions for troops in the middle of a fight, said Army Col. James Rawlinson, a spokesman for Combined Joint Task Force-Operation Inherent Resolve.

Read More Show Less
Army Spc. Clayton James Horne

Army Spc. Clayton James Horne died in Saudi Arabia on Aug. 17, making him the eighth non-combat fatality for Operation Inherent Resolve so far this year, defense officials have announced.

Horne, 23, was assigned to the 351st Military Police Company, 160th Military Police Battalion, an Army Reserve unit based in Ocala, Florida, a Pentagon news release says.

Read More Show Less
Joshua Yabut/Twitter

The soldier who was arrested for taking an armored personnel carrier on a slow-speed police chase through Virginia has been found not guilty by reason of insanity on two charges, according to The Richmond-Times Dispatch.

Joshua Phillip Yabut, 30, entered a plea of not guilty by reason of insanity for unauthorized use of a motor vehicle — in this case, a 12-ton APC taken from Fort Pickett in June 2018 — and violating the terms of his bond, which stemmed from a trip to Iraq he took in March 2019 (which was not a military deployment).

Read More Show Less