Three U.S. military service members have been removed from their White House duties after allegedly having improper contact with foreign women during President Donald Trump’s Asia tour.
The men, who worked for the White House Communication Agency, allegedly violated their curfews during the president’s trip to Vietnam earlier this month, The Washington Post reported Tuesday.
The agency provides secure communications to the president, vice president and other officials. Vietnam was one of Trump’s stops during his 12-day tour of Asia. Service members are supposed to report their contacts for security reasons.
A Defense Department spokesman confirmed to the Post that the Pentagon is investigating the members’ behavior abroad.
“We are aware of the incident, and it is currently under investigation,” the spokesman said.
The soldiers could lose their security clearances or face court-martials if found guilty, the newspaper reported.
In August, soldiers tasked with protecting Vice President Mike Pence’s communications team were reassigned after bringing back women to their hotel while in Panama City, Panama, ABC News reported.
Pence was visiting Panama, Colombia, Argentina and Chile as part of his trips to Central and South America.
Every once in a while, we run across a photo in The Times-Picayune archives that's so striking that it begs a simple question: "What in the name of Momus Alexander Morgus is going on in this New Orleans photograph?" When we do, we've decided, we're going to share it — and to attempt to answer that question.
Members of the Syrian Democratic Forces control the monitor of their drone at their advanced position, during the fighting with Islamic State's fighters in Nazlat Shahada, a district of Raqqa. (Reuters/Zohra Bensemra)
MUSCAT (Reuters) - The United States should keep arming and aiding the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) following the planned U.S. withdrawal from Syria, provided the group keeps up the pressure on Islamic State, a senior U.S. general told Reuters on Friday.
Long before Tony Stark took a load of shrapnel to the chest in a distant war zone, science fiction legend Robert Heinlein gave America the most visceral description of powered armor for the warfighter of the future. Forget the spines of extra-lethal weaponry, the heads-up display, and even the augmented strength of an Iron Man suit — the real genius, Heinlein wrote in Starship Troopers, "is that you don't have to control the suit; you just wear it, like your clothes, like skin."
"Any sort of ship you have to learn to pilot; it takes a long time, a new full set of reflexes, a different and artificial way of thinking," explains Johnny Rico. "Spaceships are for acrobats who are also mathematicians. But a suit, you just wear."
First introduced in 2013, U.S. Special Operations Command's Tactical Assault Light Operator Suit (TALOS) purported to offer this capability as America's first stab at militarized powered armor. And while SOCOM initially promised a veritable Iron Man-style tactical armor by 2018, a Navy spokesman told Task & Purpose the much-hyped exoskeleton will likely never get off the launch pad.
"The prototype itself is not currently suitable for operation in a close combat environment," SOCOM spokesman Navy Lt. Phillip Chitty told Task & Purpose, adding that JATF-TALOS has no plans for an external demonstration this year. "There is still no intent to field the TALOS Mk 5 combat suit prototype."