At least 7 soldiers and Marines targeted in late-night bar assaults in North Carolina, police say

news
(DoD photo)

Eleven men have been assaulted near bars in Wilmington, North Carolina, prompting police to warn those who go out drinking late at night.

The men, including seven members of the military, were attacked in downtown Wilmington in eastern North Carolina around the time bars closed for the night, the city's police department said Wednesday in a Facebook post.

"Police have now identified four victims who may have been sexually assaulted," officials say.

The attacked servicemen were in the U.S. Army and Marine Corps, WITN reports.


The assaults are believed to stretch back to January 2018, with "sporadic" timing in between, according to Wilmington police.

"The common thing about all 11 of these is a cognitive impairment where the victims don't remember anything," Chief Ralph Evangelous told the Wilmington Star News. "All they remember is being in a bar and that they end up waking up the next day somewhere in the downtown area not remembering anything that happened."

Police say "crime scene locations and other details are limited due to the condition of the victims at the time the incidents happened."

Officers have joined state and federal agencies to investigate the series of attacks, some of which were initially reported as misdemeanors, according to Wilmington police. Officials have stepped up downtown patrols, the Facebook post says.

"We are also encouraging individuals who drink in public establishments to please exercise caution, travel in groups, don't leave drinks un-monitored, don't drink and drive and never leave a bar with a stranger," the department says.

Details about the assaults were shared two days after police in a Facebook post said some of the men who were assaulted had been robbed.

———

©2019 The News & Observer (Raleigh, N.C.). Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.

The Space Force has a name tape now

popular

The U.S. Space Force has a name tape for uniforms now. Get excited people.

In a tweet from its official account, the Space Force said its uniform name tapes have "touched down in the Pentagon," sharing a photo of it on the chest of Gen. John W. Raymond, the newly-minted Chief of Space Operations for the new service branch nested in the Department of the Air Force.

Read More

PALM BEACH, Fla. (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump gave a minute-to-minute account of the U.S. drone strikes that killed Iranian military commander Qassem Soleimani in remarks to a Republican fund-raising dinner on Friday night, according to audio obtained by CNN.

With his typical dramatic flourish, Trump recounted the scene as he monitored the strikes from the White House Situation Room when Soleimani was killed.

Read More

The U.S. Navy will name its fourth Ford-class aircraft carrier after Doris Miller, an iconic World War II sailor recognized for his heroism during the Pearl Harbor attack, according to reports in The Honolulu Star-Advertiser and U.S. Naval Institute News.

Acting Navy Secretary Thomas Modly is expected to announce the naming of CVN-81 during a ceremony on Monday in Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, according to USNI. Two of Miller's nieces are expected to be there, according to the Star-Advertiser.

Read More

Two immigrants, a pastor and an Army sergeant have been convicted of conspiracy to commit marriage fraud as part of an illegal immigration scheme, according to federal prosecutors.

Rajesh Ramcharan, 45; Diann Ramcharan, 37; Sgt. Galima Murry, 31; and the Rev. Ken Harvell, 60, were found guilty Thursday after a nine-day jury trial, according to a news release from the U.S. attorney's office in Colorado.

The conspiracy involved obtaining immigration benefits for Rajesh Ramcharan, Diann Ramcharan, and one of their minor children, the release said. A married couple in 2007 came to the U.S. from Trinidad and Tobago on visitor visas. They overstayed the visas and settled in Colorado.

Read More

DUBAI (Reuters) - Iran said on Saturday it was sending to Ukraine the black boxes from a Ukrainian passenger plane that the Iranian military shot down this month, an accident that sparked unrest at home and added to pressure on Tehran from abroad.

Iran's Tasnim news agency also reported the authorities were prepared for experts from France, Canada and the United States to examine information from the data and voice recorders of the Ukraine International Airlines plane that came down on Jan. 8.

The plane disaster, in which all 176 aboard were killed, has added to international pressure on Iran as it grapples with a long running row with the United States over its nuclear program that briefly erupted into open conflict this month.

Read More