Winchester Will Supply Ammo For The Army's New Service Pistol

Gear

On Feb. 28, Winchester announced that it has been selected as the ammunition supplier for the U.S. Army Modular Handgun System program. Winchester Ammunition's President Brett Flaugher said in a statement that the award represented "…a significant opportunity for Winchester to continue its steadfast support of the U.S. military, just as we have for decades.”


While the Department of Defense has not made an official contract announcement about Winchester’s involvement in the Modular Handgun System program, sources at U.S. Army Materiel Command confirmed to Task & Purpose that there would be no separate award announced. Winchester partnered with Sig Sauer, whose P320 handgun was selected to replace the M9 as the Army’s service pistol in January, during the Modular Handgun System trials.

Related: The Army Has Finally Picked Its Next Service Pistol »

As part of the contract, bidders were required to include special-purpose ammunition of their choosing in their proposals, Army officials told Military.com in 2015. Exactly how much of the $580 million award will go toward ammunition is not yet known.

Winchester, based in Illinois, will provide both standard full metal jacket ball ammunition and “special purpose” ammunition — specifically jacketed hollow-point ammunition, which would significantly increase the lethality of the service pistol. In July 2015, the Army relaxed its policy toward restricting the military's use of hollow-point ammunition, opening the door for the government to purchase the ammo under the Modular Handgun System. As Christian Beekman has previously written for Task & Purpose:

The legal argument against the use of hollow-points stems from Article IV, Section 3 of the 1899 Hague Convention, which specifically prohibits “the use of bullets which expand or flatten easily in the human body, such as bullets with a hard envelope which does not entirely cover the core, or is pierced with incisions.” Thirty-four nations to date have ratified this section of the Hague Convention; however, the U.S. only ratified the first three articles of the 1899 Hague Convention. Representatives of the U.S. never signed Article IV, and the Senate didn’t ratify any part of Article IV.

Winchester undoubtedly has the production capacity to meet the new contact and the company’s collaboration with Sig in fulfilling the Modular Handgun System contract follows up several recent large contracts for various calibers of ammunition. In February last year, Winchester won a $99.2 million contract to provide not just 9x19mm pistol ammunition but also .38 and .45 caliber ammunition to the Army, along with a $90.8 million contract awarded in January, for rifle ammunition in 5.56x45mm, 7.62x51mm and .50 BMG.

There are no details yet when the first deliveries from Winchester will made.

U.S. Army Photo by Spc. Michael Christensen

On Nov, 10, 2004, Army Staff Sgt. David Bellavia knew that he stood a good chance of dying as he tried to save his squad.

Bellavia survived the intense enemy fire and went on to single-handedly kill five insurgents as he cleared a three-story house in Fallujah during the iconic battle for the city. For his bravery that day, President Trump will present Bellavia with the Medal of Honor on Tuesday, making him the first living Iraq war veteran to receive the award.

In an interview with Task & Purpose, Bellavia recalled that the house where he fought insurgents was dark and filled with putrid water that flowed from broken pipes. The battle itself was an assault on his senses: The stench from the water, the darkness inside the home, and the sounds of footsteps that seemed to envelope him.

Read More Show Less
(U.S. Army/Pvt. Stephen Peters)

With the Imperial Japanese Army hot on his heels, Oscar Leonard says he barely slipped away from getting caught in the grueling Bataan Death March in 1942 by jumping into a choppy bay in the dark of the night, clinging to a log and paddling to the Allied-fortified island of Corregidor.

After many weeks of fighting there and at Mindanao, he was finally captured by the Japanese and spent the next several years languishing under brutal conditions in Filipino and Japanese World War II POW camps.

Now, having just turned 100 years old, the Antioch resident has been recognized for his 42-month ordeal as a prisoner of war, thanks to the efforts of his friends at the Brentwood VFW Post #10789 and Congressman Jerry McNerney.

McNerney, Brentwood VFW Commander Steve Todd and Junior Vice Commander John Bradley helped obtain a POW award after doing research and requesting records to surprise Leonard during a birthday party last month.

Read More Show Less
(U.S. Marine Corps/Staff Sgt. Andrew Ochoa)

Editor's Note: This article by Gina Harkins originally appeared on Military.com, a leading source of news for the military and veteran community.

Hundreds of Marines will join their British counterparts at a massive urban training center this summer that will test the leathernecks' ability to fight a tech-savvy enemy in a crowded city filled with innocent civilians.

The North Carolina-based Kilo Company, 3rd Battalion, 8th Marines, will test drones, robots and other high-tech equipment at Muscatatuck Urban Training Center near Butlerville, Indiana, in August.

They'll spend weeks weaving through underground tunnels and simulating fires in a mock packed downtown city center. They'll also face off against their peers, who will be equipped with off-the-shelf drones and other gadgets the enemy is now easily able to bring to the fight.

It's the start of a four-year effort, known as Project Metropolis, that leaders say will transform the way Marines train for urban battles. The effort is being led by the Marine Corps Warfighting Laboratory, based in Quantico, Virginia. It comes after service leaders identified a troubling problem following nearly two decades of war in the Middle East: adversaries have been studying their tactics and weaknesses, and now they know how to exploit them.

Read More Show Less
(Reuters/Carlos Barria)

WASHINGTON/RIYADH (Reuters) - President Donald Trump imposed new U.S. sanctions onIran on Monday following Tehran's downing of an unmanned American drone and said the measures would target Iranian Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei.

Trump told reporters he was signing an executive order for the sanctions amid tensions between the United States and Iran that have grown since May, when Washington ordered all countries to halt imports of Iranian oil.

Trump also said the sanctions would have been imposed regardless of the incident over the drone. He said the supreme leaders was ultimately responsible for what Trump called "the hostile conduct of the regime."

"Sanctions imposed through the executive order ... will deny the Supreme Leader and the Supreme Leader's office, and those closely affiliated with him and the office, access to key financial resources and support," Trump said.

Read More Show Less