Get Task & Purpose in your inbox
The Military’s Favorite Uniform Supplier Is Dropping A Major Update For Women
Forget Chanel or Louis Vuitton: For women with an eye toward safety and a willingness to kick ass, the hottest spring fashion is specially made body armor.
Since 1967, Propper has clothed American troops, growing from a single Navy contract to the primary supplier of uniforms and tactical gear for both the armed forces and civilian law enforcement. But while the company has long embraced the latest developments in durable tactical garments and body armor, it as admittedly fallen short on one major advancement on battlefields at home and abroad: the rise of women within the ranks.
To mark the company's 50th anniversary and acknowledge the transformation of the armed forces during the last five decades, Propper is finally releasing a line of defensive products tailored explicitly for women.
The Propper 4PV-FEMPhoto by Propper International
Apart from better cuts of the kinetic pants worn by female law enforcement officers across the nation, Propper also announced the 4PV-FEM vest, pictured above. As armor products chief Skip Church explained to PoliceOne, most companies make cosmetic modifications to create the vests sold “for women,” but this female-friendly adaptation of the company’s signature tactical armor line first introduced in 2014 looks to maximize both protection and mobility.
After all, the special designs are not just a matter of comfort, but combat effectiveness. According to product chief Joe Ruggeri, poorly tailored uniforms can hinder a soldier or officer downrange, particularly in uniforms which are simply adapted from male colleagues’ with similar builds.
“Women have been somewhat neglected in the tactical industry,” Ruggeri told PoliceOne. “A lot of female police officers have complained because typically uniforms are just a men’s version of the uniform. It doesn’t really help them look professional, and we wanted to address that.”
Diamonds may be a girl’s best friend, but nothing says “I love you” like woven Kevlar that really fits.
A massive billing glitch in Tricare's East region, managed by Humana, on Thursday slammed about 25,000 beneficiaries with premium charges 100 times more than they owe monthly for their coverage.
A Minnesota Army National Guard UH-60 Black Hawk helicopter with three Guardsmen aboard crashed south of St. Cloud on Thursday, said National Guard spokeswoman Army Master Sgt. Blair Heusdens.
At this time, the National Guard is not releasing any information about the status of the three people aboard the helicopter, Heusdens told Task & Purpose on Thursday.
A missing Canadian ex-soldier was reportedly smuggled across the US border and is hiding with a neo-Nazi group
Editor's Note: This article originally appeared on Business Insider.
Former Canadian Army Reserve Master Cpl. Patrik Mathews, 26, was first identified as a member of The Base by Winnipeg Free Press reporter Ryan Thorpe.
Days after Thorpe's report was published, Mathews went missing and was discharged from the military for his alleged ties to the group. His car was found about 10 miles from the U.S. border soon thereafter, and police found a cache of weapons when they raided his home.
Vice reporters Ben Makuch, Mack Lamoureux, and Zachary Kamel, citing confidential sources, reported on Thursday that Mathews had been illegally smuggled across the border and is being hidden by members of The Base, which has operated in encrypted chatrooms as a largely online organization.
The Pentagon's latest attempt to twist itself in knots to deny that it is considering sending up to 14,000 troops to the Middle East has a big caveat.
Pentagon spokeswoman Alyssa Farah said there are no plans to send that many troops to the region "at this time."
Farah's statement does not rule out the possibility that the Defense Department could initially announce a smaller deployment to the region and subsequently announce that more troops are headed downrange.
The Navy could deploy a second carrier to the Middle East if Trump orders an Iran surge, top admiral says
The Navy could send a second aircraft carrier to the Middle East if President Donald Trump orders a surge of forces to the region, Chief of Naval Operations Adm. Mike Gilday said on Thursday.
Gordon Lubold and Nancy Youssef of the Wall Street Journal first reported the United States is considering sending up to 14,000 troops to the Middle East to deter Iran from attacking U.S. forces and regional allies. The surge forces could include several ships.