Wright-Patterson AFB hired man who openly discussed child rape during job interview

news
Google Maps via FNC

A civilian worker was hired at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base and worked there for nine months while living uncomfortably close to a base child development center, despite making a series of horrific statements regarding child rape during a job interview with another federal agency, according to an Air Force Office of Special Investigations affidavit.


The 23-year-old man stated in his interview that he fantasized about raping underage girls, had communicated with underage girls, and had visited child pornography websites, according to a sworn affidavit authored by AFOSI Special Agent Teddi Rachell.

AFOSI was not notified of the interview until September 2018, the affidavit says. It's unclear with which agency he interviewed, and how or why the information was not immediately available to Wright-Patterson Air Force Base.

The existence and contents of the affidavit, which was filed in federal court on December 28, 2018, were first reported by ABC News-affiliate WCPO.

In his interview, the man allegedly stated he "was sexually attracted to girls as young as 6 years old, but preferred 10-year olds," the affidavit says. He also "detailed specific plans to engage in acts of 'rape' with minor girls" at his then-current place of work and former church.

Despite this, the man was hired in April 2018 as a health physicist, a Wright-Patterson press release states. He lived in a privatized base housing area near a child development center, according to a separate copy of the affidavit obtained by Task & Purpose.

The man had previously been under investigation by police in Fairfax County, Virginia in March 2018, but they did not proceed with criminal action because he "no longer resided or was present in their jurisdiction."

AFOSI took over the investigation in September 2018, but the man did not leave his position until January 23, 2019, according to the WPAFB press release. Upon starting the investigation, while the man was still employed, "security measures were in-place to monitor the individual's activities," the release says.

"The safety of our employees and family members at Wright-Patterson AFB is our most important responsibility. The moment our federal law enforcement teammates became aware of the situation, they took immediate and deliberate actions to investigate and ensure the safety of our family members was maintained," 88th Air Base Wing and Installation Commander Col. Tom Sherman said in the press release.

The man's name and sensitive information have been redacted from the affidavit as he has not yet been charged.

Read the redacted affidavit below:

SEE ALSO: High-Ranking Air Force Officer Faces Child Exploitation Charge After Sex Sting

This post was updated at 3:30pm, February 7th, with additional information about the employee and a statement, from a Wright-Patterson AFB press release.

Editor's Note: This article by Patricia Kime originally appeared on Military.com, a leading source of news for the military and veteran community.

The U.S. Supreme Court has upheld the Defense Department's authority to prosecute retired service members for crimes they commit, even after retirement.

The court on Tuesday chose not to hear the case of a retired Marine who was court-martialed for a sexual assault he committed three months after leaving the service in August 2015. By not accepting the case, Larrabee v. the United States, the court upheld the status quo: that military retirees are subject to the Uniform Code of Military Justice.

Read More Show Less
A formation of U.S. Army soldiers with III Corps and Fort Hood honor the American flag as they lower it during the Retreat ceremony March 27, 2014. Retreat is conducted at the end of the day, every day, to honor the flag, which is raised during the Reveille ceremony each morning. All activity on the base stops for the duration of both ceremonies as soldiers pause, face the flag, and salute. (U.S. Army photo by Sgt. Ken Scar, 7th Mobile Public Affairs Detachment) (Photo Credit: Sgt. Ken Scar)

Soldiers and their spouses told Fort Hood brass and housing officials Thursday night about horrific conditions inside on-post housing, ranging from blooms of mold and lead paint to infestations of snakes and cockroaches and dangerously faulty window screens.

Read More Show Less
c1.staticflickr.com

When President Trump spoke of Islamic State last week, he described the group as all but defeated, even in the digital realm.

"For a period of time, they used the internet better than we did. They used the internet brilliantly, but now it's not so brilliant," the president said. "And now the people on the internet that used to look up to them and say how wonderful and brilliant they are are not thinking of them as being so brilliant."

Read More Show Less
Staff Sgt. Stevon A. Booker, a 3rd Infantry Division Soldier who was assigned to Company A, 1st Battalion, 64th Armor Regiment and killed in action in Iraq in 2003, is depicted in a photo illustration alongside the Distinguished Service Cross medal, which he is slated to posthumously receive for his heroic actions during Operation Iraqi Freedom, April 5, 2018, in Pittsburgh, Pa. (U.S. Army)

Editor's Note: This article by Matthew Cox originally appeared onMilitary.com, a leading source of news for the military and veteran community.

The U.S. Army has announced it will upgrade a former 3rd Infantry Division soldier's Silver Star to a Distinguished Service Cross for his bravery during the unit's "Thunder Run" attack on Baghdad, Iraq, in 2003.

Read More Show Less
KCNA

HANOI (Reuters) - North Korean leader Kim Jong Un told the U.S. secretary of state he did not want his children to live with the burden of nuclear weapons, a former CIA officer involved in high-level diplomacy over the North's weapons was quoted as saying on Saturday.

Read More Show Less