Wright-Patterson is the third critical Air Force base walloped by extreme weather in just 8 months

news

Approximately 150 homes in the Prairies at Wright Field housing area were damaged, some significantly, during the storm that passed through the Dayton area late on May 27

(U.S. Air Force/Wes Farnsworth)

Editor's Note: This article by Oriana Pawlyk Harkins originally appeared onMilitary.com, a leading source of news for the military and veteran community.

Officials at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio, are working to determine the extent of the damage done by a major storm system, including several suspected tornadoes, that hit the Dayton area Monday night.

Officials have so far determined that approximately 150 houses in an off-base, privatized housing area were damaged, as well as numerous vehicles, according to base spokeswoman Marie Vanover.

"A handful of the homes were significantly damaged" in the Prairies at Wright Field housing area, Vanover said Tuesday in an email. "Work crews are on site to help clear the area and continue their damage assessment."


Fire department personnel, Security Forces members and chaplains are going door to door to check on the safety of all residents and the condition of the structures, she said.

The main facilities on base, including the runway and parking ramps, were not severely impacted, Vanover said. The flight line was reopened after a thorough foreign object debris (FOD) inspection. The base is home to the Air Force Life Cycle Management Center and Air Force Materiel Command.

Vanover said one section of the hangar in the National Museum of the U.S. Air Force's Early Years gallery, which displays the Wright brothers' early concepts and aircraft up to the beginning of World War II, was damaged but added that no static aircraft or artifacts were harmed.

Officials are working to establish a claims center for military personnel who sustained damage from the storm, she said.

"We are also working with the privatized housing contractor to ensure any displaced residents have the support they need," she added.

(U.S. Air Force/Wes Farnsworth)

The suspected twisters that ripped through the area were part of a larger storm pattern across the U.S.

Storm reports published by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's Storm Prediction Center showed that 14 suspected tornadoes touched down in Indiana, 11 in Colorado and nine in Ohio, according to The Associated Press. Six tornadoes were reported in Iowa, five in Nebraska, four in Illinois, three in Minnesota and one in Idaho.

The damage to the Ohio facility makes it the third Air Force base to be damaged by weather in roughly eight months.

In October, Hurricane Michael, a Category 5 storm, hit Tyndall Air Force Base, Florida; in March, massive floods damaged Offutt Air Force Base, Nebraska.

Congress has yet to approve all the requested funding for the service to complete repairs to those bases.

Last week, the Senate passed a $19 billion disaster aid bill that would give the Defense Department the funds to continue working on Tyndall and Offutt, as well as Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune, North Carolina, and other facilities across the U.S. impacted by wildfires, hurricanes and flooding.

The House, meanwhile, has been unable to pass the aid bill. Rep. Chip Roy, a Republican from Texas, on Friday blocked Democratic leaders' effort to pass the disaster measure without a recorded vote, citing immigration policy concerns.

"It's a bill that includes nothing to address the clear national emergency and humanitarian crisis on our southern border," Roy said, Defense News reported.

Rep. Thomas Massie, a Republican from Kentucky, blocked a second effort to pass the bill Tuesday.

"If the speaker of this House [Nancy Pelosi] felt that this was must-pass legislation, the speaker of this House should have called a vote on this legislation before sending its members on recess for 10 days," Massie said, as reported by Politico.

The Air Force has said that if supplemental funding is not granted soon, it will have to reallocate other funds through possibly damaging measures, such as by cutting 18,000 flight training hours starting Sept. 1."

This article originally appeared on Military.com

More articles from Military.com:

SEE ALSO: Satellite Photos Show Parts Of Tyndall Air Force Base Have Been Completely Decimated

WATCH NEXT: What Hurricane Michael Did To Tyndall Air Force Base

Pearl Harbor survivor Lauren Bruner attends the dual interment of fellow USS Arizona survivors John D. Anderson, boatswain's mate 2nd class, and Clarendon R. Hetrick, seaman 1st class, at the USS Arizona Memorial in Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, as part of the 75th anniversary of the attacks on Pearl Harbor. (U.S. Navy/Petty Officer 2nd Class Somers Steelman)

Just before 8 a.m. on a Sunday morning 78 years ago, Lauren Bruner was preparing for church services and a date that would follow with a girl he'd met outside his Navy base.

The 21-year-old sailor was stationed as a fire controlman aboard the U.S. battleship USS Arizona, overseeing the vessel's .50-caliber guns.

Then alarms rang out. A Japanese plane had bombed the ship in a surprise attack.

It took only nine minutes for the Arizona to sink after the first bomb hit. Bruner was struck by gunfire while trying to flee the inferno that consumed the ship, the second-to-last man to escape the explosion that killed 1,177, including his best friend; 335 survived.

More than 70% of Bruner's body was burned. He was hospitalized for weeks.

Now, nearly eight decades after that fateful day, Bruner's ashes will be delivered to the sea that cradled his fallen comrades, stored in an urn inside the battleship's wreckage.

Read More Show Less
Joshua Kaleb Watson (Facebook via Business Insider)

Editor's Note: This article originally appeared on Business Insider.

Joshua Kaleb Watson has been identified as one of the victims of a shooting at the Naval Air Station Pensacola, CBS News reported.

The 23-year-old Alabama native and Naval Academy graduate was named to the Academy's prestigious Commandant's and Dean's lists, and also competed on the rifle team, Alabama's WTVY reported.

Read More Show Less
Mohammed Saeed Alshamrani (Courtesy photo)

PENSACOLA, Fla. (Reuters) - The Saudi airman accused of killing three people at a U.S. Navy base in Florida appeared to have posted criticism of U.S. wars and quoted slain al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden on social media hours before the shooting spree, according to a group that monitors online extremism.

Federal investigators have not disclosed any motive behind the attack, which unfolded at dawn on Friday when the Saudi national is said to have began firing a handgun inside a classroom at the Naval Air Station Pensacola.

Read More Show Less
Saudi air force Second Lt. Mohammed Saeed al-Shamrani (NBC News)

The Saudi military officer who shot and killed 3 people at Naval Air Station Pensacola on Friday reportedly hosted a "dinner party" the week before the attack "to watch videos of mass shootings," the Associated Press reports, citing an unnamed U.S. official.

Read More Show Less
Soldiers from the 3d U.S. Infantry Regiment (The Old Guard) hold folded flags before military funeral honors. (U.S. Army/Elizabeth Fraser)

The Minnesota National Guard has released the names of the three soldiers killed in Thursday's helicopter crash.

Read More Show Less