WWII Veteran's Grandson Allegedly Drained $600,000 From His Accounts As He Lay Dying

Flickr Creative Commons/www.allenandallen.com

As a World War II veteran from Kentucky slowly succumbed to Alzheimer’s disease in a nursing home, his grandson allegedly misappropriated more than $600,000 from his accounts.

A federal grand jury in Lexington has indicted the grandson, Paul Anthony Long II, on a total of 13 charges of bank fraud and wire fraud.

Long had power of attorney to pay bills for his grandfather, who began living at the Thomson-Hood Veterans Center in Wilmore in March 2011, according to the indictment returned Nov. 1.

The indictment said the mental state of Long’s grandfather “progressively declined” at the center.

By March 2013, he could no longer repeat simple words such as ball. He died in December 2015.

The indictment did not identify the grandfather by name, but the initials and date of death in the document match those of Hoyle Franklin Long, a World War II Army veteran who died Dec. 19, 2015 at age 93.

Long’s obituary listed Paul Anthony Long II as one of three grandchildren left to “cherish his memory.”

Long allegedly took money from his grandfather’s accounts the entire time the older man was in the nursing home.

Long wrote checks to himself and his wife, paid credit-card bills and withdrew more than $100,000 from automatic teller machines, the indictment charged.

Long didn’t tell his two siblings about how he was using their grandfather’s assets, even though they were entitled to a share under his will, according to the indictment.

When Long had to account for his grandfather’s assets, he made a false statement under oath that his grandfather had approved each withdrawal and expenditure, the indictment charged.

The government intends to seek a judgment of $608,395 from Long if he is convicted, representing the amount he allegedly received as a result of the alleged offenses between 2011 and December 2015.

The most serious charges in the indictment carry a maximum prison term of 30 years.

U.S. Magistrate Judge Matthew A. Stinnett issued a summons for Long to make an initial court appearance Nov. 14.


©2018 the Lexington Herald-Leader (Lexington, Ky.). Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.



Benjamin Franklin nailed it when he said, "Fatigue is the best pillow." True story, Benny. There's nothing like pushing your body so far past exhaustion that you'd willingly, even longingly, take a nap on a concrete slab.

Take $75 off a Casper Mattress and $150 off a Wave Mattress with code TASKANDPURPOSE

And no one knows that better than military service members and we have the pictures to prove it.

Read More Show Less
U.S. Coast Guard Petty Officer 2nd Class Karl Munson pilots a 26-foot boat while Petty Officer 2nd Class Gabriel Diaz keeps an eye on a boarding team who is inspecting a 79-foot shrimp boat in the Gulf of Mexico, off the coast of New Orleans, La., on April 27, 2005

Radio transmissions to the U.S. Coast Guard are usually calls for help from boaters, but one captain got on the radio recently just to say thanks to the men and women who are currently working without pay.

Read More Show Less
REUTERS/Carlos Barria

DOVER AIR FORCE BASE, Del (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump traveled to Dover Air Force Base in Delaware on Saturday to receive the remains of four Americans killed in a suicide bombing in northern Syria.

Trump, locked in a battle with congressional Democrats that has led to a nearly month-long partial government shutdown, announced his trip via a pre-dawn tweet, saying he was going "to be with the families of 4 very special people who lost their lives in service to our Country!"

Trump told reporters on the South Lawn of the White House prior to departure that he planned to meet the families, a duty which he said "might be the toughest thing I have to do as president."

He was greeted by military staff at Dover Air Force Base after a short flight from Joint Base Andrews, but did not speak to reporters before entering his motorcade.

Flanked by military officials, Trump, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and acting Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan filed up a ramp leading onto a military transport aircraft, where a prayer was given to honor the memory of Scott Wirtz, a civilian Department of Defense employee from St. Louis.

REUTERS/Kevin Lamarque

Trump filed down the plank and saluted while six service members clad in fatigues and white gloves carried an American flag-draped casket carrying Wirtz to a waiting gray van.

The Dover base is a traditional hub for returning the remains of American troops abroad.

The United States believes the attack that killed the Americans was the work of Islamic State militants.

Trump announced last month that he planned to speedily withdraw U.S. troops from Syria, but has since said it does not need to go quickly as he tries to ensure safety of Kurdish allies in northern Syria who are at risk of attack from neighboring Turkey.

Trump told reporters on Saturday that his Syria policy has made progress but that some work remained in destroying Islamic State targets. He defended his plans for a withdrawal.

"It's moving along very well, but when I took over it was a total mess. But you do have to ask yourself, we're killing ISIS for Russia, for Iran, for Syria, for Iraq, for a lot of other places. At some point you want to bring our people back home," he said.

In addition to Wirtz, those who died during the Wednesday attack in Manbij, Syria, were Army Chief Warrant Officer Jonathan Farmer, 37, of Boynton Beach, Florida, and Navy Chief Cryptologic Technician Shannon Kent, 35, identified as being from upstate New York, the Department of Defense said in a statement.

The Pentagon did not identify the fourth person killed, a contractor working for a private company. U.S. media identified her as Ghadir Taher, a 27-year-old employee of defense contractor Valiant Integrated Services.

(Reporting by Alexandra Alper; Writing by Steve Holland and David Brunnstrom; Editing by Leslie Adler)

A low-flying C-17 gave Nashville residents a fright on Friday when the aircraft made several unannounced passes over the city's bustling downtown.

Read More Show Less
George W. Bush/Instagram

This article originally appeared on Business Insider.

Former President George W. Bush is calling for an end to the partial government shutdown, which is about to hit the one-month mark and is currently the longest shutdown in US history.

In an appeal made on Instagram, the 43rd president called on "leaders on both sides to put politics aside, come together, and end this shutdown." The caption was posted with an image of him and former First Lady Laura Bush giving pizza to their Secret Service detail.

Read More Show Less