These Are The Army Units Deploying Overseas In 2019
My, how time flies. It seems like only yesterday that the first coalition bombs were falling on Kabul. 17 years … Continued
My, how time flies. It seems like only yesterday that the first coalition bombs were falling on Kabul. 17 years and trillions* of bombs later, here we still are on this crazy journey we call the War on Terror.
Up next is 2019, starring many familiar faces — expect to see the Taliban and ISIS back in action come fighting season — and some new, like Gen. Austin Miller as the commander of Operation Resolute Support. The U.S. Army’s 2nd Security Force Assistance Brigade out of Fort Bragg, North Carolina is also set to make its big battlefield debut in the spring with a deployment to Afghanistan.
Five more Army brigades and a division headquarters are preparing to head overseas, as well.
Here are the specifics, according to an Army press release.
- 1st Brigade Combat Team, 1st Infantry Division will deploy to Europe later this year, replacing 1st Armored Brigade Combat Team, 1st Cavalry Division.
- The 1st Infantry Division’s 1st Combat Aviation Brigade will deploy to Europe later this year, replacing the 4th Combat Aviation Brigade.
- The 1st Infantry Division Sustainment Brigade will deploy to Afghanistan later this year, replacing the 101st Airborne Division Sustainment Brigade.
- The 1st Cavalry Division headquarters will deploy to Afghanistan in early 2019, replacing the Army National Guard’s 40th Infantry Division headquarters.
- 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 4th Infantry Division will deploy to Kuwait in spring 2019, replacing the Mississippi National Guard’s 155th Armored Brigade Combat Team.
- 1st Brigade Combat Team, 101st Airborne Division will deploy to Iraq later this year, replacing the 3rd Cavalry Regiment.
*Well, maybe not trillions. But a lot!