Shanahan says restoring US-South Korea military drills isn’t necessary

He said the troops in the region have the "required military readiness" without the exercises.

Shanahan says restoring US-South Korea military drills isn’t necessary

Acting Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan said on Sunday that he doesn't think it's “necessary” for joint military exercises between the U.S. and South Korea to be restored.

Shanahan said he'd been told that troops on the Korean peninsula “had the required military readiness despite the suspension of the exercises,” Reuters reports. When asked about restoring them, he said, “I don't think it is necessary.”

Exercises were suspended by President Donald Trump last year as a way to bolster talks with North Korea. Trump has also called the exercises too expensive. The decision was criticized as a premature concession to the regime, which has “long sought an end” to the exercises, per Reuters. The most recent meeting between Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un in February failed to generate a deal, though Trump has since said that he has “confidence that Chairman Kim will keep his promise.”

Shanahan said on Sunday that he wants “to make sure that the plan we put in place is sufficient,” according to Reuters. He plans to meet with his South Korean counterpart, along with the head of U.S. forces in the country, on Monday.

SEE ALSO: US-South Korea military exercises used to involve thousands of troops. Now it's officers in front of computers

WATCH NEXT: South Korea Conducts Precision Strike Drill

Haley Britzky

Haley Britzkyis the Army reporter for Task & Purpose, covering the daily happenings in the Army and how they impact soldiers and their families, as well as broader national security issues. Originally from Texas, Haley previously worked at Axios before joining Task & Purpose in January 2019. Contact the author here.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information