Marine Col. Daniel H. Wilson (DoD photo)

A Marine colonel who walked free after a military appeals court decided it did not believe the 6-year-old girl whom he was convicted of sexually assaulting will retire as a lieutenant colonel with a less than honorable characterization of service, the Marine Corps confirmed on Wednesday.

Col. Daniel H. Wilson will receive the same full retirement benefits as any other Marine of his rank, said Marine Corps spokeswoman Maj. Melanie Salinas.

Wilson was sentenced to more than five years in prison in September 2017, but the Navy-Marine Corps Court of Criminal Appeals overturned Wilson's sexual assault conviction in July because it found the alleged victim's testimony inconsistent.

Wilson was released from the brig in October.

Read More
In this photo taken Friday, Aug. 11, 2017, multiple white nationalist groups march with torches through the UVA campus in Charlottesville, Va. (Associated Press photo)

Editor's Note: This article by Richard Sisk originally appeared on Military.com, a leading source of news for the military and veteran community.

Membership in a white supremacist or neo-Nazi group won't necessarily get a U.S. service member tossed out of the military, defense officials told a House subcommittee Tuesday.

The officials, including representatives of Naval Criminal Investigative Service and the Army's Criminal Investigation Division, appeared to make a distinction between membership in an extremist organization and "active participation" in deciding on recruitment and retention.

The officials also told a hearing of the House Armed Services subcommittee on personnel that they had no reliable data on how many service members had been administratively discharged for espousing white supremacist ideology or how many potential recruits had been barred from enlisting.

Read More
The guided-missile destroyer USS Porter (DDG 78) conducts strike operations while in the Mediterranean Sea, April 7, 2017. Porter, forward-deployed to Rota, Spain, is conducting naval operations in the U.S. 6th Fleet area of operations in support of U.S. national security interests in Europe. (U.S. Navy/Mass Communication Specialist 3rd Class Ford Williams)

The Navy and Marine Corps intend to purchase an additional 203 Tactical Tomahawk Cruise Missiles for roughly $402 million in 2021, according to the Navy's budget request for that fiscal year, with 155 of the long-range munitions going to the Navy and 48 going to the Marine Corps.

The Navy's decision to get more Tomahawks isn't all that shocking — after all, the missiles made national news as recently as 2017 after President Donald Trump approved launching dozens at targets in Syria.

However, the fact that the Corps wants to get their hands on the cruise missile is surprising.

"The Marine Corps is procuring the Tomahawk missile as part of an overall strategy to build a more lethal Fleet Marine Force," said Capt Christopher Harrison, a Marine Corps spokesman, who also confirmed to Task & Purpose that the Marine Corps' intent to procure Tomahawks is "a new development."

"This capability is in support of the Marine Corps Expeditionary Advanced Base Operations (EABO) and the National Defense Strategy (NDS) approach to build a more lethal Joint Force," Harrison said. "Further details on the capability and or employment are classified."

Read More
U.S. Marine Corps/Cpl. William Chockey

The Army wants Special Forces Warrant Officers to stay in so badly, they're willing to pay big money for it: Six-figures big.

Read More
Iraqi students, assigned to the Anbar Operations Center Security Battalion, prepare to clear a building on Al Taqaddum Air Base, Iraq, Sept. 13, 2019. (U.S. Army/Spc. DeAndre Pierce)

BRUSSELS (Reuters) - NATO is considering an increase to its training mission in Iraq to relieve the burden on the U.S.-led coalition against Islamic State, senior officials and diplomats said on Tuesday.

NATO and the coalition have non-combat "train-and-advise" missions which aim to develop Iraqi security forces but both are suspended over fears for regional stability after a U.S. drone strike killed a top Iranian commander in Baghdad on Jan. 3.

After the killing, U.S. President Donald Trump called on NATO — founded in 1949 to contain a military threat from the Soviet Union — to do more in the Middle East but he has not specified publicly what that might entail.

Read More
U.S. Soldiers, assigned to the Bravo Troop, Regimental Engineer Squadron, 2nd Cavalry Regiment, apply snow chains to a Medium Mine Protected Vehicle at the 7th Army Training Command's Grafenwoehr Training Area, Germany, Jan. 29, 2020. (U.S. Army/Spc. Javan Johnson)

The Army announced on Tuesday the activation of V Corps (or Fifth Corps), the latest development in the U.S. military's push to build up capabilities in Europe in the face of great power competition with Russia.

Read More