The Pentagon Is Not Pissing Away As Much Money As You Think

Pentagon Run-Down

For years, defense officials have pleaded for more money to stop the rash of aircraft crashes and to reduce casualties if war broke out with Russia or China. But a recent story suggests the Pentagon may have had some extra $100 bills tucked away in its thong.

Bloomberg's Anthony Capaccio and Roxana Tiron first reported that the Defense Department actually had too much money. Between fiscals 2013 and 2018, the Pentagon did not spend $28 billion in money appropriated by Congress, the Defense Department's Inspector General's Office found.


Initially, your friend and humble scribe was gobsmacked. Former Defense Secretary James Mattis warned that any cuts or delays in defense spending would put troops in danger.

"As Congress' own National Defense Strategy Commission report puts it, and I quote here: 'The cost will not be measured in abstract concepts like international stability and global order; it will be measured in American lives,'" Mattis said at the Ronald Reagan Presidential Foundation.

However, the Bloomberg story made the Pentagon look less like a cash-strapped college student rolling pennies to buy stale bread from a Jimmy John's going out of business sale; rather it gave the impression that the Defense Department is the proverbial drunken billionaire who is literally rolling in his money while being fed grapes by nymphs. (This is how I imagine Saddam Hussein would celebrate Mardi Gras at Kanye West's house.)

On Wednesday, the Pentagon's top money man tried to dispel the notion that the Defense Department has more money than it can spend.

The $28 billion represents the total number of money left over from five yearly Defense Department budgets, so it averages just under 1 percent of the Pentagon's budget for each of those years, said David Norquist, the Defense Department's comptroller.

"It's money that is no longer able to be put on new contracts, but is not currently on a contract or payment," David Norquist said while discussing the Pentagon's first-ever audit, which it failed.

"This is not unusual. So, typically at the end of the year, you've spent 99.5 percent of the money. As the years go by, contracts that were awarded for $100 end up getting closed at $97 -- $3 stays with the Treasury, so that number slowly creeps up."

Norquist is serving as comptroller while he is also performing the duties of deputy defense secretary. In layman's terms, he has a money clip that holds $2.7 trillion. Someone with that much paper deserves a Gangsta nickname, so he will be referred to as D-Norq hereafter.

As your friend and humble narrator already mentioned, the Defense Department failed the first audit in its history last year. When D-Norq announced the audit's findings, he did not tell reporters exactly how the Pentagon was wasting money. Rather, he stressed that the mere fact that the Pentagon had completed its audit represented a victory. (With audits and T-ball, everyone gets a trophy.)

That explanation was not good enough for Mark Skidmore, an economics professor at Michigan State University professor, who analyzed budget data and concluded the Pentagon could not account for an astounding $21 trillion spent between 1998 and 2015.

Newly elected New York Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez – a rising star for the Democrats – tweeted in December that the $21 trillion represents two-thirds of her plan for universal healthcare.

"That means 66% of Medicare for All could have been funded already by the Pentagon," she tweeted. "And that's before our premiums."

When your mathematically-challenged reporter asked D-Norq if the $21 trillion figure is accurate, the money man threw down accountant-style.

"If you go back to 1776, when the country was founded, and you add up all the money given to national security – either the Department of the Army, the Department of War, or the Department of the Navy – until the present, we have not received $21 trillion," D-Norq replied. "I think a lot of fact checkers looked at that one and rated it as clearly false. Thank you for bringing that one up. I know it draws some attention from folks and gets confusing."

Bam! Denied!

Still, Skidmore told Task & Purpose that he stands by his findings, which were based on data provided by the Defense Department. He said he has asked U.S. government officials for further information but has not received any so far.

"The figure of $21 trillion comes from existing government reports," Skidmore said. "I guess my response to Norquist's comment that that's not possible is: These numbers actually come from our own government. We're just tallying them up over 17 years and the reports show that there are all of these transactions and adjustments that our own government says were unsupported."

Coming next week: Guest columnist Old Dirty Accountant analyzes whether cash really does rule everything around me.

SEE ALSO: This Is How I Inadvertently Angered The Pentagon Parking Gods

WATCH NEXT: Jeff Schogol Loses That Loving Feeling


Jeff Schogol covers the Pentagon for Task & Purpose. He has covered the military for 13 years and embedded with U.S. troops in Iraq and Haiti. Prior to joining T&P, he covered the Marine Corps and Air Force at Military Times. Comments or thoughts to share? Send them to Jeff Schogol via email at schogol@taskandpurpose.com or direct message @JeffSchogol on Twitter.

Editor's Note: This article by Patricia Kime originally appeared on Military.com, a leading source of news for the military and veteran community.

The U.S. Supreme Court has upheld the Defense Department's authority to prosecute retired service members for crimes they commit, even after retirement.

The court on Tuesday chose not to hear the case of a retired Marine who was court-martialed for a sexual assault he committed three months after leaving the service in August 2015. By not accepting the case, Larrabee v. the United States, the court upheld the status quo: that military retirees are subject to the Uniform Code of Military Justice.

Read More Show Less
A formation of U.S. Army soldiers with III Corps and Fort Hood honor the American flag as they lower it during the Retreat ceremony March 27, 2014. Retreat is conducted at the end of the day, every day, to honor the flag, which is raised during the Reveille ceremony each morning. All activity on the base stops for the duration of both ceremonies as soldiers pause, face the flag, and salute. (U.S. Army photo by Sgt. Ken Scar, 7th Mobile Public Affairs Detachment) (Photo Credit: Sgt. Ken Scar)

Soldiers and their spouses told Fort Hood brass and housing officials Thursday night about horrific conditions inside on-post housing, ranging from blooms of mold and lead paint to infestations of snakes and cockroaches and dangerously faulty window screens.

Read More Show Less
c1.staticflickr.com

When President Trump spoke of Islamic State last week, he described the group as all but defeated, even in the digital realm.

"For a period of time, they used the internet better than we did. They used the internet brilliantly, but now it's not so brilliant," the president said. "And now the people on the internet that used to look up to them and say how wonderful and brilliant they are are not thinking of them as being so brilliant."

Read More Show Less
Staff Sgt. Stevon A. Booker, a 3rd Infantry Division Soldier who was assigned to Company A, 1st Battalion, 64th Armor Regiment and killed in action in Iraq in 2003, is depicted in a photo illustration alongside the Distinguished Service Cross medal, which he is slated to posthumously receive for his heroic actions during Operation Iraqi Freedom, April 5, 2018, in Pittsburgh, Pa. (U.S. Army)

Editor's Note: This article by Matthew Cox originally appeared onMilitary.com, a leading source of news for the military and veteran community.

The U.S. Army has announced it will upgrade a former 3rd Infantry Division soldier's Silver Star to a Distinguished Service Cross for his bravery during the unit's "Thunder Run" attack on Baghdad, Iraq, in 2003.

Read More Show Less
KCNA

HANOI (Reuters) - North Korean leader Kim Jong Un told the U.S. secretary of state he did not want his children to live with the burden of nuclear weapons, a former CIA officer involved in high-level diplomacy over the North's weapons was quoted as saying on Saturday.

Read More Show Less