Trump Tells ‘60 Minutes’ That Mattis ‘May Leave’ The Pentagon

news

President Donald Trump has stoked fresh speculation that Defense Secretary James Mattis could be leaving his administration.


During an interview with “60 Minutes” that will air on Sunday night, the president said he is unhappy with some members of his cabinet and he has “people on standby that will be phenomenal.”

Trump was noncommittal when host Leslie Stahl asked him directly if Mattis will depart as defense secretary.

“Well, I don’t know,” the president replied. “He hasn’t told me that.”

“Do you want him to leave?” Stahl pressed?

“I have a very good relationship with him,” Trump continued, speaking over her. “I had lunch with him two days ago. I have a very good relationship with him. It could be that he is. I think that he is sort of a Democrat, if you want to know the truth. But Gen. Mattis is a good guy. We get along very well. He may leave – I mean, at some point, everybody leaves. Everybody. People leave. That’s Washington.”

When asked about Trump’s comments, a Pentagon spokesman sent Task & Purpose a statement that did not address how much longer Mattis might be defense secretary.

“Secretary Mattis is laser-focused on doing his job — ensuring the US military remains the most lethal force on the planet,” said Army Col. Robert Manning.

Spokespeople for the White House did not immediately return Task & Purpose’s requests for comment on Sunday.

For months, Mattis has been dogged by persistent stories in the press that he will leave the Pentagon soon, which he has dismissed as rumors. He also unequivocally denied that he ever disparaged Trump, as Bob Woodward wrote in his book “Fear,” about the Trump administration.

"In serving in this administration, the idea that I would show contempt for the elected commander-in-chief, President Trump, or tolerate disrespect to the office of the President from within our Department of Defense, is a product of someone’s rich imagination,” Mattis said in a Sept. 4 statement.

WATCH NEXT:

UPDATE: This story was updated at 12:05 p.m. on Oct. 14 with a statement from Pentagon spokesman Army Col. Robert Manning.

On Nov, 10, 2004, Army Staff Sgt. David Bellavia knew that he stood a good chance of dying as he tried to save his squad.

Bellavia survived the intense enemy fire and went on to single-handedly kill five insurgents as he cleared a three-story house in Fallujah during the iconic battle for the city. For his bravery that day, President Trump will present Bellavia with the Medal of Honor on Tuesday, making him the first living Iraq war veteran to receive the award.

In an interview with Task & Purpose, Bellavia recalled that the house where he fought insurgents was dark and filled with putrid water that flowed from broken pipes. The battle itself was an assault on his senses: The stench from the water, the darkness inside the home, and the sounds of footsteps that seemed to envelope him.

Read More Show Less
(U.S. Army/Pvt. Stephen Peters)

With the Imperial Japanese Army hot on his heels, Oscar Leonard says he barely slipped away from getting caught in the grueling Bataan Death March in 1942 by jumping into a choppy bay in the dark of the night, clinging to a log and paddling to the Allied-fortified island of Corregidor.

After many weeks of fighting there and at Mindanao, he was finally captured by the Japanese and spent the next several years languishing under brutal conditions in Filipino and Japanese World War II POW camps.

Now, having just turned 100 years old, the Antioch resident has been recognized for his 42-month ordeal as a prisoner of war, thanks to the efforts of his friends at the Brentwood VFW Post #10789 and Congressman Jerry McNerney.

McNerney, Brentwood VFW Commander Steve Todd and Junior Vice Commander John Bradley helped obtain a POW award after doing research and requesting records to surprise Leonard during a birthday party last month.

Read More Show Less
(U.S. Marine Corps/Staff Sgt. Andrew Ochoa)

Editor's Note: This article by Gina Harkins originally appeared on Military.com, a leading source of news for the military and veteran community.

Hundreds of Marines will join their British counterparts at a massive urban training center this summer that will test the leathernecks' ability to fight a tech-savvy enemy in a crowded city filled with innocent civilians.

The North Carolina-based Kilo Company, 3rd Battalion, 8th Marines, will test drones, robots and other high-tech equipment at Muscatatuck Urban Training Center near Butlerville, Indiana, in August.

They'll spend weeks weaving through underground tunnels and simulating fires in a mock packed downtown city center. They'll also face off against their peers, who will be equipped with off-the-shelf drones and other gadgets the enemy is now easily able to bring to the fight.

It's the start of a four-year effort, known as Project Metropolis, that leaders say will transform the way Marines train for urban battles. The effort is being led by the Marine Corps Warfighting Laboratory, based in Quantico, Virginia. It comes after service leaders identified a troubling problem following nearly two decades of war in the Middle East: adversaries have been studying their tactics and weaknesses, and now they know how to exploit them.

Read More Show Less
(Reuters/Carlos Barria)

WASHINGTON/RIYADH (Reuters) - President Donald Trump imposed new U.S. sanctions onIran on Monday following Tehran's downing of an unmanned American drone and said the measures would target Iranian Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei.

Trump told reporters he was signing an executive order for the sanctions amid tensions between the United States and Iran that have grown since May, when Washington ordered all countries to halt imports of Iranian oil.

Trump also said the sanctions would have been imposed regardless of the incident over the drone. He said the supreme leaders was ultimately responsible for what Trump called "the hostile conduct of the regime."

"Sanctions imposed through the executive order ... will deny the Supreme Leader and the Supreme Leader's office, and those closely affiliated with him and the office, access to key financial resources and support," Trump said.

Read More Show Less