Get Task & Purpose in your inbox
Coast Guard To Struggling Families: Have You Considered Becoming A Dog Walker?
Coast Guard families struggling with trying to pay their bills amid a government shut down were just sent a helpful tip sheet of ways they could earn extra money, such as holding a garage sale or walking the neighbor's dogs. Well, that's nice.
First reported by Dan Lamothe at The Washington Post, the guidance titled "Managing your finances during a furlough" offered ways to supplement income for Coast Guardsmen right now, to include becoming a part-time babysitter, walking pets, or becoming a mystery shopper.
A fucking mystery shopper!
There is, of course, another way to supplement the income of the 10,000 or so members of the Coast Guard who are being screwed by this shut down: Reopen the government and stop using them as political pawns.
Coast Guardsmen were slated to not get paychecks at the end of December, but a last-minute workaround by the service's accounting wizards allowed it to pay everyone on time for Dec. 31. However, as it stands now, there's no guarantee they'll be paid next on Jan. 15, just days away.
As Lamothe notes, the document — which was posted online by the Coast Guard Support Program — was removed after the Post began asking about it. However, a search for that document's title shows similar guidance offered in a document from a company called App Risen.
Lamothe told Task & Purpose that document was not the same one mentioned in his report, but there are exact word-for-word quotes in both the Post's report and the App Risen document, such as "while it may be uncomfortable to deal with the hard facts, it's best to avoid the 'hide your head in the sand' reaction. Stay in charge of the situation by getting a clear understanding of what's happening."
So not only did the Coast Guard share tone deaf guidance to its members, but it seems to have plagiarized that guidance from some other source.
New London — Retired four-star general John Kelly said that as President Donald Trump's chief of staff, he pushed back against the proposal to deploy U.S. troops to the southern border, arguing at the time that active-duty U.S. military personnel typically don't deploy or operate domestically.
"We don't like it," Kelly said in remarks at the Coast Guard Academy on Thursday night. "We see that as someone else's job meaning law enforcement."
These 'kamikaze' drones are believed to be the culprits of the attacks on 2 Saudi oil fields. Here's what we know about them
Editor's Note: This article originally appeared on Business Insider.
Yemen's Houthi rebel group, part of a regional network of militants backed by Iran, claims to be behind the drone strikes on two Saudi oil facilities that have the potential to disrupt global oil supplies.
A report from the United Nations Security Council published in January suggests that Houthi forces have obtained more powerful drone weaponry than what was previously available to them, and that the newer drones have the capability to travel greater distances and inflict more harm.
The U.S. Air Force has selected two companies to make an extreme cold-weather boot for pilots as part of a long-term effort to better protect aviators from frostbite in emergencies.
In August the service awarded a contract worth up to $4.75 million to be split between Propel LLC and the Belleville Boot Company for boots designed keep pilots' feet warm in temperatures as low as -20 Fahrenheit without the bulk of existing extreme cold weather boots, according to Debra McLean, acquisition program manager for Clothing & Textiles Domain at Air Force Life Cycle Management Command's Agile Combat Support/Human Systems Division.
DUBAI (Reuters) - Iran rejected accusations by the United States that it was behind attacks on Saudi oil plants that risk disrupting world energy supplies and warned on Sunday that U.S. bases and aircraft carriers in the region were in range of its missiles.
Yemen's Houthi group claimed responsibility for Saturday's attacks that knocked out more than half of Saudi oil output or more than 5% of global supply, but U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said the assault was the work of Iran, a Houthi ally.
Nearly a decade after he allegedly murdered an unarmed Afghan civilian during a 2010 deployment, the case of Army Maj. Matthew Golsteyn is finally going to trial.