Wanted: Full-Time Associate Editor In Our NYC Office
Task & Purpose, a rapidly growing news and culture site geared toward the modern military and veterans community, is looking...
Task & Purpose, a rapidly growing news and culture site geared toward the modern military and veterans community, is looking to add a full-time associate editor to join our New York City office.
As an associate editor with a popular military news startup, you’ll work closely with Task & Purpose’s senior editors and staff writers to help conceive and execute big ideas that are reaching millions of readers every month.
If you’re an engaged, driven, and dynamic editor, and want to join a team devoted to giving voice to the new generation of American veterans emerging after the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, this could be a great opportunity for you.
- Collaborate with Task & Purpose editors and writers to make daily coverage decisions in a small, but fast-paced environment.
- Collaborate with contributor network of 200+ writers from various military backgrounds.
- Copy edit/fact check daily articles from staff writers and broader contributor network.
- Shape style guide to ensure that language is clear and consistent.
- Ensure that stories are factually correct and maintain a Task & Purpose voice.
- Help shape social copy and headlines so that content is shareable and engaging.
- Pitch stories for the web, including news, features, human interest pieces, and well as multimedia articles within their respective verticals.
- Maintain active social media channels as an extension of your professional and/or personal life.
- Strong interest in military/veterans news and affairs; informed on current events and topics related to military and veterans space.
- Strong work ethic; ability to multi-task and take initiative with new ideas and projects is an absolute must.
- 1 to 3+ years of professional experience in copy editing and/or journalism field
- Expertise and prior experience using AP style
- Journalism experience/degree or technical writing background
- Experience working with online content management systems required
- Moderate knowledge of search engine optimization best practices
- Ability to meet deadlines and be extremely detail-oriented
- An analytical approach to major stories, and a passion for digging into everything from fine-grain policy issues to big-picture current events
- Understanding of how storytelling works in a digital age.
- Must be outgoing, self starter, and eager to pitch new ideas.
- Military experience or connection helps, but isn’t as necessary as a critical mind and a passion for news.
Applicants must be located in or able to relocate to New York City. This position full-time and includes competitive salary and health insurance benefits. Salary will commensurate with experience.
If you’re interested, please send a resume, cover letter, and links to your portfolio, or at least three relevant pieces of sample work, to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: Associate Editor — [Last name].