Investigators have so far been unable to substantiate a Marine's claim that he was attacked while assisting civil authorities on the U.S.-Mexico border, Task & Purpose has learned.
Breitbart first reported on May 31 that the Marine claimed he fired his sidearm after being attacked by three people, one of whom tried to grab his weapon. The bullet hit his vehicle's dashboard and the three people ran away, the Marine reported.
However, five days after the shooting, it is unclear what actually transpired.
"An investigation is underway, but initial indications show the facts and circumstances do not appear to support details we have seen reported by media citing 'official documents detailing the matter,'" U.S. Northern Command spokesman John Cornelio said on Monday.
"At this time, there are no known injuries to anyone and no additional details will be provided until the investigation is complete."
What is known is the Marine discharged his weapon while stationed at a U.S. Customs and Border Protection mobile surveillance camera near El Centro, California, Cornelio told Task & Purpose.
No further information was immediately available.