Task & Purpose Is Hiring A Full-Time Military Reporter
Task & Purpose, a news and culture site that provides authentic perspectives on military and veterans issues, is looking to...
Task & Purpose, a news and culture site that provides authentic perspectives on military and veterans issues, is looking to add a full-time military reporter to our editorial team.
Task & Purpose’s mission is to provide unfiltered reporting on issues affecting current members of the military and veterans navigating transition and the Department of Veterans Affairs. We were on the ground in December 2016 during the Standing Rock protests with 4,000 other veterans; we sent journalists to Mexico to cover the deported U.S. veterans who are being recruited by drug cartels, we were one of the few publications allowed to attend the NRA’s annual conference this year, and we’ve gotten the exclusive on VA policies before they’ve been announced. We’re looking for someone who can help us produce even more groundbreaking reporting in 2018.
As a reporter with Task & Purpose, you’ll engage in every aspect of the editorial process, from researching and filing original reporting and analysis to conducting long-form investigations and high-profile interviews. You’ll also work closely with Task & Purpose’s senior editors to help conceive and execute the big ideas and exclusives. This is not a 9-to-5 job and can require long hours, but you’ll be supported by a team of committed journalists who know how to work hard and play hard. To succeed, you need to be someone who can build relationships in the community, but also be fearless in your reporting and willing to ask tough questions. If you’re an engaged, driven, and dynamic journalist, and want to join a team devoted to giving voice to the post-9/11 generation of American veterans, this could be a great opportunity for you.
We’re looking for a writer who is comfortable contributing to some or all of our existing verticals:
- News and analysis
- Veterans affairs
- Military culture/entertainment/lifestyle
If you think you have a better idea for a vertical, pitch us on it.
- Pitch and write stories for the web, including news, features and human interest pieces, as well as multimedia articles.
- File multiple stories per week, from long-form articles to short takes on current news and issues.
- Gather, verify, and confirm breaking news.
- Write news stories that people want to share.
- Embrace new, innovative, and fun ways to tell stories on the web.
- Maintain active social media channels as an extension of your professional and/or personal life.
- Strong interest in military/veterans news and affairs; informed on current events and topics related to military and veterans space
- 3+ years experience writing in a journalistic capacity and can demonstrate experience with sample work.
- Well-honed reporting skills, with the ability to write quickly and accurately, with heart and passion.
- Demonstrated understanding of AP style and journalism fundamentals from copyediting to fact checking.
- Ability to focus on ideas, not just news, putting ideas at the center of all T&P; content. We don’t chase daily news or simply relay facts, we detail how and why the news applies to the military and veterans community.
- An analytical approach to major stories, and a passion for digging into everything from fine-grain policy issues to big-picture current events.
- Understanding of how storytelling works in a digital age.
- Ability to file clean copy on deadline.
- Must be outgoing, self starter, and eager to pitch new ideas.
- Military experience or connection helps, but isn’t as necessary as a critical mind and a passion for news.
Applicants must be located in or able to relocate to New York City or Washington, D.C. This positions is full-time and includes a competitive salary and health insurance benefits. Salary will commensurate with experience.
If you’re interested, please send a resume, cover letter, and links to your portfolio, or at least three relevant pieces of sample work, to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: Military Writer Application 2017 — [Last name].