Pentagon ‘Gravely Concerned’ Russian Propaganda Signals Impending Syrian Chemical Attack

Bullet Points

The Pentagon is alarmed about Russian propaganda that indicates the Syrian government could be preparing to attack the rebel-held province of Idlib, a Defense Department spokesman said.


  • “We remain gravely concerned over potential reports of a military offensive by the Syrian regime against civilians and civilian infrastructure in Idlib, which would result in devastating humanitarian consequences,” Eric Pahon told Task & Purpose on Monday. “We also underline our concern at the potential for further – and illegal – use of chemical weapons.”
  • Russian government mouthpiece RT posted a story on Sunday claiming “foreign specialists” had arrived in Syria to stage a chemical attack that would be the pretense for the United States, France, and Britain to launch missiles at Syrian dictator Bashar al-Assad’s regime from warships currently steaming towards the Mediterranean.
  • U.S., British and French ships and planes launched 105 cruise missiles at Syria on April 13 in a response to an April 7 chlorine attack by the Assad regime killed at least 45 people. Afterward, Russian media launched an aggressive information campaign claiming that the chemical attack was actually a hoax.
  • Pahon declined to say how the U.S. military might respond if the Assad regime uses chemical weapons against its own people again.
  • “What I can tell you is that Russian reports of a U.S. military buildup in the Eastern Med are nothing more than propaganda," Pahon said. "It's not true. That does not mean, however, that we are unprepared to respond should the president direct such an action.”

WATCH NEXT:

Maj. Jason Michael Musgrove (Lincoln County Sheriff's Office)

A major serving at U.S. Army Cyber Command has been charged with distributing child pornography, according to the Justice Department.

Maj. Jason Michael Musgrove, who is based at Fort Gordon, Georgia, has been remanded to the U.S. Marshals service, a news release from the U.S. Attorney's Office for the Southern District of Georgia says.

Read More Show Less
Sailors from USS George Washington (CVN 73) wear-test the I-Boot 5 at Naval Station Norfolk. (U.S. Navy photo by Courtney Williams)

Navy senior leaders could decide whether or not to approve the new I-Boot 5 early in 2020, said Rob Carroll, director of the uniform matters office at the Chief of Naval Personnel's office.

"The I-Boot 5 is currently wrapping up its actual wear test, its evaluation," Carroll told Task & Purpose on Monday. "We're hoping that within the first quarter of calendar year 2020 that we'll be able to present leadership with the information that they need to make an informed decision."

Read More Show Less
Senator Jim Inhofe speaks with local reporters at a press conference held at the 138th Fighter Wing August 2, 2018. (U.S. National Guard/Staff Sgt. Rebecca R. Imwalle)

U.S. Sen. Jim Inhofe and U.S. Rep. Kendra Horn leveled harsh criticism last week at the contractor accused of negligence and fraudulent activity while operating private housing at Tinker Air Force Base and other military installations.

Inhofe, chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee, referred to Balfour Beatty Communities as "notorious." Horn, a member of the House Armed Services Committee, told a company executive she was "incredibly disappointed you have failed to live up to your responsibility for taking care of the people that are living in these houses."

Read More Show Less
U.S. Senator Rick Scott speaks during a press conference at Tyndall Air Force Base, Florida, April 29, 2019. (U.S. Air Force/Airman 1st Class Monica Roybal)

The Saudi national who killed three students on a U.S. Naval Air station in Pensacola was in the United States on a training exchange program.

On Sunday, Sen. Rick Scott said the United States should suspend that program, which brings foreign nationals to America for military training, pending a "full review."

Read More Show Less
Tech. Sgt. Ryan Cooper, 151st Security Forces Squadron, leads a team of security forces members as they clear a building during a simulated active shooter event October 15, 2019 at Roland R. Wright Air National Guard Base, Utah. (U.S. Air National Guard/Tech. Sgt. John Winn)

Security measures at U.S. military bases will be increased in the wake of the deadly shootings at Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam in Hawaii and Naval Air Station Pensacola in Florida.

In a message posted to Twitter, U.S. Northern Command, known as Northcom, said it has directed its installations to "immediately assess force protection measures and implement increased random security measures for their facilities."

Read More Show Less