Get Task & Purpose in your inbox
'Worse than ISIS' — Massacre victims' relatives urge Mexico to accept US help to destroy drug cartels
BAVISPE, Mexico (Reuters) - Angry kin of nine American citizens massacred in a suspected gangland ambush in northern Mexico urged the government to accept U.S. help to destroy drug cartels that one grieving relative described as being "as bad or worse than ISIS."
Funerals of the three mothers and six children began to be held in Mexico on Thursday after the government said they were caught in the crossfire of a territorial feud between the Juarez Cartel and its rival the Sinaloa Cartel on Monday.
The victims belonged to three families of dual U.S.-Mexican citizenship born to breakaway Mormon communities founded in the north of Mexico several decades ago, and mourners came from thousands of miles to pay their last respects.
BAVISPE, Mexico (Reuters) - The nine American women and children killed in northern Mexico were victims of a territorial dispute between an arm of the Sinaloa Cartel and a rival gang, officials said on Wednesday, and may have been used to lure one side into a firefight.
Members of breakaway Mormon communities that settled in Mexico decades ago, the three families were ambushed as they drove along a dirt track in Sonora state, leading to U.S. President Donald Trump urging Mexico and the United States to "wage war' together on the drug cartels.
There are no signs that President Donald Trump has ordered the U.S. military to join Mexico's war against drug cartels – at least not yet.
After nine members of an American family were brutally murdered in Mexico, Trump tweeted on Tuesday that the United States stood read to help Mexican authorities annihilate drug cartels.
MEXICO CITY — It is an extraordinary video — a behind-the-scenes look at what happened earlier this month when Mexican security forces briefly captured one of the world's most-wanted cartel leaders.
In the clip, which was released Wednesday by Mexico's defense secretary, the Sinaloa drug cartel chief Ovidio Guzman Lopez is shown surrendering to soldiers who had trapped him in a home in the northern city of Culiacan.
Instead of putting Guzman in handcuffs and immediately taking him into custody, the soldiers waited while he made a phone call.
Outside, Sinaloa cartel fighters had seized control of much of the city, taking hostages, blocking intersections with burning vehicles and surrounding a housing complex for the families of military personnel. The soldiers, who apparently knew they had no clear way out, begged Guzman to order his men to stand down.
"Tell them to leave now!" a soldier is heard shouting at 28-year-old Guzman, who is the son of notorious drug boss Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzman.
The U.S. military's seemingly never-ending mission supporting civil authorities along the southwestern border will last at least another year.
On Sept. 3, Defense Secretary Mark Esper approved a request from the Department of Homeland Security to provide a total of up to 5,500 troops along the border until Sept. 30, 2020, Lt. Gen. Laura Richardson, commander of U.S. Army North, said on Monday.
EL PASO — A federal judge ruled Friday that President Donald Trump's declaration of a national emergency at the border violates federal law.
The emergency declaration underpinned the administration's planned transfer of $6.1 billion dollars in Department of Defense funding for counter-narcotics operations and military construction projects to pay instead for a border wall.