Get Task & Purpose in your inbox
Trump Says He Will 'Gladly' Visit Troops In Combat Zones 'At Some Point'
President Donald Trump said Tuesday that he would "gladly" visit U.S. troops at combat zones overseas "at some point" after being asked why he hasn't yet made such a trip after nearly two years in office.
"I’m doing a lot of things. But it’s something I’d do. And do gladly," Trump told the Associated Press in a wide-ranging interview.
The president has faced criticism for not visiting U.S. troops at combat zones overseas — despite such trips being a bipartisan practice going back to World War II — although, Trump argued, he would gladly make the trip even though he doesn't think it's "overly necessary."
He's arguably right. As I wrote previously on Twitter, the practice of presidential visits to war zones are often nothing more than what troops call "dog and pony shows" that are mostly photo ops, requiring the diversion of troops and resources away from a mission in order to receive the commander-in-chief.
Still, President Barack Obama visited troops in Iraq in 2008 as a senator and visited again as president after three months in office, while making four total trips to Afghanistan. President George W. Bush, meanwhile, met with troops in Baghdad about 9 months after the invasion of Iraq, ultimately making two trips to Afghanistan and four trips to Iraq, according to Business Insider.
Trump has visited stateside troops on a number of occasions, but has not yet made an appearance for troops in combat. Vice President Mike Pence, however, made an unannounced visit to meet troops at Bagram Airfield in Afghanistan before Christmas in 2017.
Here is the full question and answer:
AP: On the subject of American soldiers and military overseas, why have you not yet visited a military base in a combat zone like in Iraq and Afghanistan?
Trump: Well, I will do that at some point, but I don’t think it’s overly necessary. I’ve been very busy with everything that’s taking place here. We have the greatest economy in the history of our country. I mean, this is the greatest economy we’ve ever had, best unemployment numbers. Many groups are, you know, we’ve never even been close to these numbers. I’m doing a lot of things. I’m doing a lot of things. But it’s something I’d do. And do gladly. Nobody has been better at the military. Hey, I just got them a pay raise. I haven’t had a pay raise in 11 years. I just got them a substantial pay raise. ‘They’ meaning our military people. I just got them new equipment. They have stuff that was so old that the grandfathers used to fly it. I have done more for the military than any president in many, many years.
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Known for acting on impulse, President Donald Trump has adopted an uncharacteristically go-slow approach to whether to hold Iran responsible for attacks on Saudi oil facilities, showing little enthusiasm for confrontation as he seeks re-election next year.
After state-owned Saudi Aramco's plants were struck on Saturday, Trump didn't wait long to fire off a tweet that the United States was "locked and loaded" to respond, and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo blamed Iran.
But four days later, Trump has no timetable for action. Instead, he wants to wait and see the results of investigations into what happened and is sending Pompeo to consult counterparts in Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates this week.
That sound you're hearing is Army senior leaders exhaling a sigh of relief, because the Army has surpassed its recruiting goal for the year.
After failing to meet recruiting goals in 2018, the Army put the pedal to the metal and "did some soul searching," said Acting Army Secretary Ryan McCarthy, to ensure that they'd meet their 2019 goal. It must have paid off — the service announced on Tuesday that more than 68,000 recruits have signed on as active-duty soldiers, and more soldiers have stuck around than they expected.
Air Force Chief of Staff Gen. David Goldfein transformed into the Cigarette Smoking Man from "The X-Files" on Tuesday when explaining why UFO enthusiasts should avoid storming the mythical Area 51 installation in Nevada.
"All joking aside, we're taking it very seriously," Goldfein told reporters during the Air Force Association's annual Air, Space, and Cyber Conference. "Our nation has secrets, and those secrets deserve to be protected. The people deserve to have our nation's secrets protected."
SAN DIEGO — A San Diego-based Navy SEAL acquitted of murder in a closely watched war crimes trial this summer has filed a lawsuit against two of his former attorneys and a military legal defense nonprofit, according to a complaint filed in federal court in Texas on Friday.
NATIONAL HARBOR, Maryland — The Air Force is reviewing whether some airmen's valor awards deserve to be upgraded to the Medal of Honor, Chief of Staff Gen. David Goldfein said on Tuesday.
Goldfein revealed that several airmen are being considered for the nation's highest military award during a press conference at the Air Force Association's annual Air, Space, and Cyber Conference. He declined to say exactly who could receive the Medal of Honor, pending the outcome of the review process.