FBI: Shooting at Naval Air Station Pensacola was ‘an act of terrorism’

news

The FBI is treating the recent shooting at Naval Air Station Pensacola, Florida, as a terrorist attack, several media outlets reported on Sunday.

"We work with the presumption that this was an act of terrorism," USA Today quoted FBI Agent Rachel Rojas as saying at a news conference.


Three sailors were killed in Friday's shooting: Ensign Joshua Kaleb Watson, Airman Mohammed Sameh Haitham, and Airman Apprentice Cameron Scott Walters.

The suspected gunman, who was also killed, has been identified as Saudi Royal Air Force 2nd Lt. Mohammed Alshamrani, who was one of the hundreds of international students at Pensacola training to become a naval aviator.

All of the international students have been accounted for and none has been arrested in connection with the incident, the Associated Press quoted Rojas as saying.

Speaking on Fox News Sunday, Defense Secretary Mark Esper said he did not know if the shooter specifically targeted Americans. Esper stressed it is important to let the investigation play out to discover the gunman's motive.

Esper confirmed that one or two fellow Saudi aviation students videotaped the shooting with their cell phones.

"What's unclear is: Were they filming it before it began or was it something where they picked up their phones and filmed it one they saw it unfolding," Esper told host Chris Wallace. "That may be a distinction with or without a difference. Again, that's why I think we need to let the investigation play out."

When Wallace noted that seemed unusual for the other Saudis to respond to the shooting by capturing it on their cell phones, Esper replied: "I don't know. I'm not trying to pass a judgment on it at this point in time. Today, people pull out their phones anything and everything that happens."

Esper has ordered a review of how the military and other government agencies conduct security background checks on foreign students that train in the United States.

UPDATE: This story was updated on Dec. 8 with comments from Defense Secretary Mark Esper.

Roughly a dozen U.S. troops showing concussion-related symptoms are being medically evacuated from Al-Asad Air Base in Iraq to Landstuhl Regional Medical Center in Germany, a defense official told Task & Purpose on Tuesday.

Read More

In a Galaxy — err, I mean, on a military base far, far away, soldiers are standing in solidarity with galactic freedom fighters.

Sitting at the top of an Army press release from March 2019, regarding the East Africa Response Force's deployment to Gabon, the photo seems, at first glance, just like any other: Soldiers on the move.

But if you look closer at the top right, you'll find something spectacular: A Rebel Alliance flag.

Read More
The maiden flight of the first CMV-22B Osprey took place in Amarillo, Texas (Courtesy photo)

The first of the CMV-22B Osprey tiltrotor aircraft the Navy plans on adopting as its carrier onboard delivery (COD) aircraft of choice has successfully completed its first flight operations, manufacturer Boeing announced on Tuesday.

Read More
A soldier plugs his ears during a live fire mission at Yakima Training Center. Photo: Capt. Leslie Reed/U.S. Army

Another 300 lawsuits against 3M flooded federal courts this month as more military veterans accuse the behemoth manufacturer of knowingly making defective earplugs that caused vets to lose hearing during combat in Iraq or Afghanistan or while training on U.S. military bases.

On another front, 3M also is fighting lawsuits related to a class of chemicals known as PFAS, with the state of Michigan filing a lawsuit last week against the Maplewood-based company.

To date, nearly 2,000 U.S. veterans from Minnesota to California and Texas have filed more than 1,000 lawsuits.

Read More

GENEVA (Reuters) - North Korea said on Tuesday it was no longer bound by commitments to halt nuclear and missile testing, blaming the United States' failure to meet a year-end deadline for nuclear talks and "brutal and inhumane" U.S. sanctions.

North Korean leader Kim Jong Un set an end-December deadline for denuclearization talks with the United States and White House national security adviser Robert O'Brien said at the time the United States had opened channels of communication.

O'Brien said then he hoped Kim would follow through on denuclearization commitments he made at summits with U.S. President Donald Trump.

Read More