The Pentagon has declared war on...*checks notes*... Tik Tok

news

The Pentagon's war on Tik Tok has entered its Leroy Jenkins phase.

The Defense Information Systems Agency recommended that all Defense Department employees not install the Chinese-made app on their phones or uninstall Tik Tok if they already have it on their devices, according to a Dec. 16 cyber awareness message.


A Pentagon spokesman could not say exactly what perils Tik Tok poses to national security.

"The threats posed by social media are not unique to TikTok (though they may certainly be greater on that platform), and DoD personnel must be cautious when making any public or social media post," said Air Force Lt. Col. Uriah Orland.

The cyber awareness message advises DoD employees that uninstalling Tik Tok "will not prevent already potentially compromised information from propagating, but it could keep additional information from being collected," Orland said.

DISA also urges DoD personnel to "research the company history and ownership for any suspicious foreign connections or ownership" before downloading any apps, Orland said.

It further recommends that DoD employees monitor their personal phones and their family members' devices for unusual and unsolicited texts, instant messages, calls, and emails, Orland said. Any such messages should be deleted immediately.

On Wednesday, the Air Force amn/nco/snco Facebook page posted an email from Naval Network Warfare Command in Suffolk, Virginia, telling sailors and Marines that they would be blocked from accessing Navy Marine Corps Intranet services if they have Tik Tok on their iPhones or iPads.

The message applies to sailors' and Marines' government-issued mobile devices, said Navy Cmdr. Dave Benham, a spokesman for U.S. Fleet Cyber Command/10th Fleet.

"This decision was made based on cybersecurity threat assessments, and is consistent with 10th Fleet efforts to proactively address existing and emerging threats in defense of our networks," Benham told Task & Purpose.

Roughly a dozen U.S. troops showing concussion-related symptoms are being medically evacuated from Al-Asad Air Base in Iraq to Landstuhl Regional Medical Center in Germany, a defense official told Task & Purpose on Tuesday.

Read More

In a Galaxy — err, I mean, on a military base far, far away, soldiers are standing in solidarity with galactic freedom fighters.

Sitting at the top of an Army press release from March 2019, regarding the East Africa Response Force's deployment to Gabon, the photo seems, at first glance, just like any other: Soldiers on the move.

But if you look closer at the top right, you'll find something spectacular: A Rebel Alliance flag.

Read More
The maiden flight of the first CMV-22B Osprey took place in Amarillo, Texas (Courtesy photo)

The first of the CMV-22B Osprey tiltrotor aircraft the Navy plans on adopting as its carrier onboard delivery (COD) aircraft of choice has successfully completed its first flight operations, manufacturer Boeing announced on Tuesday.

Read More
A soldier plugs his ears during a live fire mission at Yakima Training Center. Photo: Capt. Leslie Reed/U.S. Army

Another 300 lawsuits against 3M flooded federal courts this month as more military veterans accuse the behemoth manufacturer of knowingly making defective earplugs that caused vets to lose hearing during combat in Iraq or Afghanistan or while training on U.S. military bases.

On another front, 3M also is fighting lawsuits related to a class of chemicals known as PFAS, with the state of Michigan filing a lawsuit last week against the Maplewood-based company.

To date, nearly 2,000 U.S. veterans from Minnesota to California and Texas have filed more than 1,000 lawsuits.

Read More

GENEVA (Reuters) - North Korea said on Tuesday it was no longer bound by commitments to halt nuclear and missile testing, blaming the United States' failure to meet a year-end deadline for nuclear talks and "brutal and inhumane" U.S. sanctions.

North Korean leader Kim Jong Un set an end-December deadline for denuclearization talks with the United States and White House national security adviser Robert O'Brien said at the time the United States had opened channels of communication.

O'Brien said then he hoped Kim would follow through on denuclearization commitments he made at summits with U.S. President Donald Trump.

Read More