Get Task & Purpose in your inbox
Senior commanders reportedly won’t be punished for deadly 2017 Niger ambush
Army Staff Sgt. Bryan C. Black, Staff Sgt. Jeremiah W. Johnson, Staff Sgt. Dustin M. Wright, and Sgt. La David T. Johnson were killed when their convoy was attacked by an overwhelming force of ISIS fighters near the village of Tongo, Tongo, Niger nearly two years ago.
They were part of a group of U.S. and Nigerien forces that set out in unarmored vehicles for a reconnaissance mission that morphed into a disastrous attempt to capture a terrorist.
Acting Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan has accepted the findings of a review that he ordered into the incident, which did not recommend that any high level commanders involved in the planning and execution of the mission be disciplined, according to Politico.
In fact, Army Lt. Col. David Painter, who reportedly overruled the team commander in ordering U.S. and Nigerien troops to capture a high level terrorist, has since been promoted to colonel even though he received a letter of reprimand and was also relieved as battalion commander of a unit before it deployed to Afghanistan, Politico reported.
Army Col. Bradley Moses, who was briefed on the team's missions, is still eligible for promotion and is taking a senior position in Afghanistan, according to Politico.
Defense officials did not respond to the Politico story. A person familiar with the Niger review confirmed to Task & Purpose that the review had been completed and the families of the four fallen soldiers were being briefed on its findings.
Retired Army Brig. Gen. Donald Bolduc told Task & Purpose that he believes the team's detachment and company commander have been unfairly blamed for problems that were above their pay-grade.
"We can't continue to do these investigations and hold our subordinates accountable without holding our senior guys accountable," said Bolduc, who retired as head of U.S. Special Operations Command Africa shortly before the ambush. "That's a bad message to send and we've been sending it in a number of investigations that have been done in the military and it's just plain wrong."
Last year, defense officials announced that an investigation into the ambush found serious problems with how the team was trained, equipped, and prepared for the mission that went wrong, but those are senior leaders' responsibilities, Bolduc said on Tuesday.
"It's the responsibility of the battalion commander, the group commander, the two-star Special Forces commander, and the three-star [U.S. Army Special Operations Command] commander," Bolduc said. "They're responsible to the operational commander for this and they do this all the time – particularly with teams coming to Africa: They don't think Africa is worth their time, so they short-change their teams on proper preparation. It's only a matter of time before something like this happens. Our guys paid this price and – of course – they take the brunt of the blame."
Some lawmakers also have been skeptical about the Pentagon's previous investigations into the Niger Ambush. Rep. Ruben Gallego, (D-Ariz.) has gone as far as to accuse Shanahan and general officers of launching a "cover-up."
Gallego has slammed Shanahan for not providing the families of the four fallen soldiers with redacted copies of an earlier investigation into the ambush.
"He should be worried about what lessons we could have learned from this Niger ambush and also who were the general officers that were responsible for making these big mistakes that cost these men's lives," Gallego told Task & Purpose on May 9. "We as a public have a right to know that and he is part of the problem and not the solution."
Rep. Mike Waltz (R-Fla.), who served in Special Forces, said on Tuesday that he is glad the soldiers' families will finally see the Niger review's findings, but he remains confused why some junior officers have been reprimanded for the ambush while defense officials have indicated that some of the troops involved will receive valor awards.
"So, did the team fight valiantly or did they make serious mistakes?" Waltz said in a statement to Task & Purpose. "I need more information to reach independent judgment, but we have a lot to learn from this. You're always going to have special operators out in very remote locations that need support and the missions need to be done."
Correction: An earlier version of this story said that Col. Brad Moses was to be promoted to brigadier general. The story has been updated to reflect that Moses is still eligible for the promotion, but has not yet been nominated.
WATCH NEXT: Rep. Ruben Gallego Demands Answers Regarding Niger Ambush
‘Take what’s inside and get it outside’ — Air Force psychologist reminds airmen of mental health resources
Kirtland Air Force Base isn't much different from the world beyond its gates when it comes to dealing with mental illnesses, a base clinical psychologist says.
Maj. Benjamin Carter told the Journal the most frequent diagnosis on the base is an anxiety disorder.
"It's not a surprise, but I anticipate about anytime in the population in America, about 20% of the population has some form of diagnosable anxiety disorder, and it's no different in the military," he said.
Leading the way among the anxiety disorders, he said, were post-traumatic stress disorder "or something like panic disorder or generalized anxiety disorder."
The DNA of a niece and nephew, who never met their uncle, has helped identify the remains of the Kansas Marine who died in WWII.
The Defense POW/MIA Accounting Agency announced that 21-year-old U.S. Marine Corps Reserve Pfc. Raymond Warren was identified using DNA and circumstantial evidence. Warren had been buried in a cemetery in the Gilbert Islands, where he was killed when U.S. forces tried to take secure one of the islands from the Japanese.
The Battle of Tarawa lasted from Nov. 20 to Nov. 23, 1943, and claimed the lives of 1,021 U.S. marines and sailors, more than 3,000 Japanese soldiers and an estimated 1,000 Korean laborers before the U.S. troops seized control, the agency said.
Arizona lawmakers are vowing to fight a plan by the Air Force to start retiring some of the nation's fleet of A-10 Thunderbolt II ground-attack jets — a major operation at Davis-Monthan Air Force Base — as part of a plan to drop some older, legacy weapon systems to help pay for new programs.
U.S. Sen. Martha McSally, R-Ariz., a former A-10 pilot, and U.S. Rep. Ann Kirkpatrick, D-Ariz., both vowed to fight the move to retire 44 of the oldest A-10s starting this year.
During a press briefing last week, Air Force officials unveiled plans to start mothballing several older platforms, including retiring some A-10s even as it refits others with new wings.
MOSCOW/SEOUL (Reuters) - North Korea, whose leader Kim Jong Un was filmed riding through the snow on a white stallion last year, has spent tens of thousands of dollars on 12 purebred horses from Russia, according to Russian customs data.
Accompanied by senior North Korean figures, Kim took two well-publicized rides on the snowy slopes of the sacred Paektu Mountain in October and December.
State media heralded the jaunts as important displays of strength in the face of international pressure and the photos of Kim astride a galloping white steed were seen around the world.
North Korea has a long history of buying pricey horses from Russia and customs data first reported by Seoul-based NK News suggests that North Korea may have bolstered its herd in October.
ISLAMABAD (Reuters) - A high-profile local Taliban figure who announced and justified the 2012 attack on teenage Nobel laureate Malala Yousafzai has escaped detention, Pakistan's interior minister confirmed a few days after the militant announced his breakout on social media.
Former Pakistani Taliban spokesman Ehsanullah Ehsan, who claimed responsibility on behalf of his group for scores of Taliban attacks, proclaimed his escape on Twitter and then in an audio message sent to Pakistani media earlier this month.
The Pakistani military, which had kept Ehsan in detention for three years, has declined to comment but, asked by reporters about the report, Interior Minister Ijaz Shah, said: "That is correct, that is correct."
Shah, a retired brigadier general, added that "you will hear good news" in response to questions about whether there had been progress in hunting down Ehsan.