Army Secretary nominee sides with Trump on cancelling meeting with the Taliban

popular
Jeff Starts A Twitter Beef With The Taliban

Acting Army Secretary Ryan McCarthy said he agreed with President Donald Trump's decision to cancel his meeting with the Taliban.

McCarthy, speaking at his nomination hearing on Thursday in front of the Senate Armed Services Committee, was asked by Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand (D-N.Y.). about the White House's "abrupt end" to peace talks, and if the administration's "policy of conducting diplomacy through Twitter" has made it more difficult for the Army in Afghanistan.


"With respect to the talks being ceased, I think it was clear that national command authority felt that they did not have the conditions appropriate to enter the next phase of negotiations," McCarthy said. "So I think it was the right decision to step back from the table and try to look at how do you get to a framework to bring a political end-state to the conflict."

Any lingering hopes that a peace agreement might be possible between the U.S., the Afghan government and the Taliban went up in flames on Monday when Trump said that as far as he was concerned, peace talks are "dead." This came two days after he announced on Twitter that he had planned to hold a private meeting at Camp David with "major leaders" of the Taliban, but cancelled — and called off negotiations — after the Taliban continued attacks in Afghanistan.

A total of 19 U.S. service members have died supporting operations in Afghanistan so far in 2019, of which 16 have been killed in combat and three were non-combat fatalities. One of those non-combat deaths was a sailor from the aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln, who was declared dead after falling overboard.

In April, the Defense Department initially announced that Air Force Staff Sgt. Albert J. Miller, who was killed in a non-combat incident in Qatar, was supporting Operation Freedom's Sentinel at the time of his death. One month later, the Air Force re-designated him as a casualty of the U.S-led mission against ISIS in Iraq and Syria because he was in the Operation Inherent Resolve area of responsibility when he died, an Air Force official said.

It took two hours on Thursday for McCarthy to be asked about Afghanistan — which was better than Defense Secretary Mark Esper's confirmation hearing, during which the topic never came up — emphasizing just how not-pressing the war is for Congress, almost two decades in.

McCarthy added on Thursday that it's "clear we're going to have to have an advise-and-assist capability" in Afghanistan, as well as a counterterrorism capability, until there's "a much greater maturity and strength within the Afghan government."

(Department of Defense)

Actor Mark Wahlberg will be visiting troops overseas to plug Wahlburgers, a fast-casual restaurant chain owned by the actor and his two brothers, Donnie Wahlberg, and chef Paul Wahlberg.

Read More Show Less
From left to right: Naval SEAL Chief Eddie Gallagher, Army 1st Lt. Clint Lorance, and Army Special Forces Maj. Matthew Golsteyn (DoD photos)

The U.S. military will not disintegrate into an undisciplined horde following President Donald Trump's recent intervention in three war crimes cases, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Army Gen. Mark Milley assured lawmakers on Wednesday.

Milley was testifying before the House Armed Services Committee when he was pressed by Iraq war veteran Rep. Seth Moulton (D-Mass.) about the president's actions in the cases of former Army 1st Lt. Clint Lorance, retired Army Maj. Matthew Golsteyn, and retired Navy SEAL Chief Eddie Gallagher.

Read More Show Less

Taliban fighters attempted to fight their way into Bagram Airfield on Wednesday by invading a medical facility just outside of the base's perimeter, a spokesman for Operation Resolute Support said Wednesday.

J.P. Lawrence of Stars and Stripes and Jim LaPorta of Newsweek first reported that the battle lasted for several hours after using car bombs to attack the hospital, which is near the base's northern corner. Helicopter and fixed-wing aircraft were reportedly used to drop ordnance on the hospital.

Read More Show Less
The welcome sign at Naval Air Station Corpus Christi (Facebook photo)

An armed suspect was taken into custody at Naval Air Station Corpus Christi on Wednesday morning after a brief lockdown period, according to the Texas base's Facebook account.

Though the exact nature of the incident is unclear, base officials wrote that no shots were fired and no injuries were reported.

Read More Show Less
(DoD photo)

Among the dozens of requirements outlined in the latest version of the National Defense Authorization Act is the requirement for the Secretary of Defense to create a public database for privatized housing complaints.

So, that will be... a lot.

Read More Show Less