Army reportedly dishes out delayed punishment to Green Beret over Niger ambush

popular
The Pentagon's Niger Ambush Recreation Video

A senior Special Forces officer has been pulled from his leadership role in a security force assistance brigade which was preparing to deploy to Afghanistan later this month, apparently over his involvement in the 2017 Niger ambush, Politico reports.


Lt. Col. David Painter had been twice cleared of wrongdoing, per Politico. But his recent removal from his duties as battalion commander of 2nd Battalion, 2nd Security Force Assistance Brigade came after then-Defense Secretary Jim Mattis "expressed dissatisfaction" with the investigations that ultimately cleared him.

Security Force Assistance Command spokeswoman Maj. Christina Wright confirmed to Task & Purpose that Painter was replaced with Lt. Col. Matthew Tucker in a ceremony on January 26, weeks before the unit deploys to Afghanistan. Wright also said Painter remains at Fort Bragg, but declined to comment on his current assignment.

On Oct. 3, 2017, a team of Special Forces soldiers — led by Painter as their battalion commander — were ordered to capture a high-value target outside Tongo Tongo, Niger, before they were ambushed by a large force of ISIS fighters. Staff Sgt. Bryan C. Black, Staff Sgt. Jeremiah W. Johnson, Staff Sgt. Dustin M. Wright, and Sgt. La David T. Johnson were killed in the battle.

The mission was beset with problems, to include lack of solid intelligence on the threat in Niger, a murky chain of command, and a lack of air support. In the aftermath, six soldiers received letters of reprimand, though Painter was not among them.

Painter approved and oversaw the first and second missions of the Special Forces team, and ordered the final capture mission, despite the team commander, Capt. Michael Perozeni, "pushing back on the operation," according to the Times.

A former senior special operations officer told Politico that Painter was punished "because of the meeting with Secretary Mattis, not because of any new information." He will be taking a "key staff position in a larger adviser headquarters," Politico reported, while some close to the situation told Politico that there was concern about a new commander taking over the brigade heading for Afghanistan so close to deployment.

"You don't change hoses midstream to a new commander who doesn't know the guys as well and what they can do," a member of the adviser brigade told Politico.

SEE ALSO: One Major General Was The Fall Guy For The Niger Ambush. The Real Fault Lies Elsewhere

WATCH NEXT: Defense Officials Brief Press on Niger Investigation Results

No motive is yet known for last week's Pearl Harbor Naval Shipyard shooting tragedy, which appears to have been a random act of violence in which the sailor who fatally shot two civilian workers and himself did not know them and did not plan his actions ahead of time, shipyard commander Capt. Greg Burton said in an "All Hands" message sent out Friday.

Machinist's Mate Auxiliary Fireman Gabriel Antonio Romero of San Antonio, an armed watch-stander on the attack submarine USS Columbia, shot three civilian workers Dec. 4 and then turned a gun on himself while the sub rested in dry dock 2 for a major overhaul, the Navy said.

"The investigation continues, but there is currently no known motive and no information to indicate the sailor knew any of the victims," Burton said.

Read More Show Less
A projectile is fired during North Korea's missile tests in this undated picture released by North Korea's Central News Agency (KCNA) on November 28, 2019. (KCNA via Reuters)

SEOUL (Reuters) - North Korea said it had successfully conducted another test at a satellite launch site, the latest in a string of developments aimed at "restraining and overpowering the nuclear threat of the U.S.", state news agency KCNA reported on Saturday.

The test was conducted on Friday at the Sohae satellite launch site, KCNA said, citing a spokesman for North Korea's Academy of Defence Science, without specifying what sort of testing occurred.

Read More Show Less

Since the Washington Post first published the "Afghanistan papers," I have been reminded of a scene from "Apocalypse Now Redux" in which Army Col. Walter Kurtz reads to the soldier assigned to kill him two Time magazine articles showing how the American people had been lied to about Vietnam by both the Lyndon Johnson and Richard Nixon administrations.

In one of the articles, a British counterinsurgency expert tells Nixon that "things felt much better and smelled much better" during his visit to Vietnam.

"How do they smell to you, soldier?" Kurtz asks.

Read More Show Less
Erik Prince arrives for the New York Young Republican Club Gala at The Yale Club of New York City in Manhattan in New York City, New York, U.S., November 7, 2019. (REUTERS/Jeenah Moon)

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Erik Prince, the controversial private security executive and prominent supporter of U.S. President Donald Trump, made a secret visit to Venezuela last month and met Vice President Delcy Rodriguez, one of socialist leader Nicolas Maduro's closest and most outspoken allies, according to five sources familiar with the matter.

Read More Show Less
Soldiers with 2nd Brigade Combat Team, 4th Infantry Division, walk in what could be mistaken for another planet. Kandahar, Afghanistan, Dec. 25, 2011 (Army photo/Sgt. Ruth Pagan)

(Reuters Health) - While army suicides have historically decreased during wartime, that trend appears to have reversed in recent decades, a new study of U.S. records finds.

Researchers poring over nearly 200 years of data found that unlike earlier times when there was a decline in suicide rates among U.S. Army soldiers during and just after wars, the rate has risen significantly since 2004, according to the report in JAMA Network Open.

Read More Show Less