Get Task & Purpose in your inbox
Corps investigating Marine for sending boot swastika photo to 'Terminal Lance' creator
A Marine reservist is under investigation for posting a picture on Instagram that showed Marines positioning their boots in the shape of a swastika, a spokesman for Marine Forces Reserve confirmed on Monday.
"We can confirm that Pfc. Anthony D. Schroader is a member of the Selected Marine Corps Reserve and is assigned to 4th Air Naval Gunfire Liaison Company, Force Headquarters Group, Marine Forces Reserve located in West Palm Beach, Florida," Maj. Roger Hollenbeck told Task & Purpose.
Hollenbeck declined to say how many Marines in total are under investigation.
The picture came to light on April 26 when "Terminal Lance" creator and Marine veteran Maximilian Uriarte sent a tweet to the Marine Corps suggesting that Corps officials investigate. Uriarte, who is Jewish, told Task & Purpose he later deleted the tweet after he got confirmation the Corps would be looking into the matter.
"There is no place for racial hatred or extremism in the Marine Corps," Hollenbeck said. "The Terminal Lance tweet featuring derogatory behavior by Marines is currently being investigated and any further comment would be premature."
This is just the latest incident of a Marine being investigated for racist and pro-Nazi behavior. In February, Corps officials announced they were looking into Lance Cpl. Mason Mead after he allegedly posted images of explosives forming a swastika and a picture of himself in blackface with the message, "hello, fellow black men."
Lance Cpl. Vasillios Pistolis was kicked out of the Marine Corps in August after he attacked a woman at the Aug. 12, 2017 "Unite the Right" rally in Charlottesville, Virginia. He was later sentenced to brig time after being found guilty at court-martial of failure to obey an order or regulation and making a false official statement.
After being arrested for flying a white supremacist banner at a May 2017 pro-confederate rally in Graham, North Carolina, Staff Sgt. Joseph Manning was discharged that December and Sgt. Michael Chesny was administratively separated from the Marine Corps in April 2018.
WATCH NEXT: UK's Top Sergeant Major Rips Racist Soldiers A New One
A massive billing glitch in Tricare's East region, managed by Humana, on Thursday slammed about 25,000 beneficiaries with premium charges 100 times more than they owe monthly for their coverage.
A Minnesota Army National Guard UH-60 Black Hawk helicopter with three Guardsmen aboard crashed south of St. Cloud on Thursday, said National Guard spokeswoman Army Master Sgt. Blair Heusdens.
At this time, the National Guard is not releasing any information about the status of the three people aboard the helicopter, Heusdens told Task & Purpose on Thursday.
A missing Canadian ex-soldier was reportedly smuggled across the US border and is hiding with a neo-Nazi group
Editor's Note: This article originally appeared on Business Insider.
Former Canadian Army Reserve Master Cpl. Patrik Mathews, 26, was first identified as a member of The Base by Winnipeg Free Press reporter Ryan Thorpe.
Days after Thorpe's report was published, Mathews went missing and was discharged from the military for his alleged ties to the group. His car was found about 10 miles from the U.S. border soon thereafter, and police found a cache of weapons when they raided his home.
Vice reporters Ben Makuch, Mack Lamoureux, and Zachary Kamel, citing confidential sources, reported on Thursday that Mathews had been illegally smuggled across the border and is being hidden by members of The Base, which has operated in encrypted chatrooms as a largely online organization.
The Pentagon's latest attempt to twist itself in knots to deny that it is considering sending up to 14,000 troops to the Middle East has a big caveat.
Pentagon spokeswoman Alyssa Farah said there are no plans to send that many troops to the region "at this time."
Farah's statement does not rule out the possibility that the Defense Department could initially announce a smaller deployment to the region and subsequently announce that more troops are headed downrange.
The Navy could deploy a second carrier to the Middle East if Trump orders an Iran surge, top admiral says
The Navy could send a second aircraft carrier to the Middle East if President Donald Trump orders a surge of forces to the region, Chief of Naval Operations Adm. Mike Gilday said on Thursday.
Gordon Lubold and Nancy Youssef of the Wall Street Journal first reported the United States is considering sending up to 14,000 troops to the Middle East to deter Iran from attacking U.S. forces and regional allies. The surge forces could include several ships.