Some members of Congress are finally realizing that authorizing wars without end is really bad

news
(Associated Press photo)

A small group of lawmakers is arguing that President Donald Trump does not have the power to launch a new war against Iran without first getting permission from Congress.

Chief among them is Rep. Seth Moulton (D-Mass.), who was one of six lawmakers who voiced their support on Wednesday for a proposed amendment to the fiscal 2020 National Defense Authorization Act that would prevent any federal money from funding a war with Iran unless Congress declared war or Trump secured a new authorization for the use of military force.

Only after Congress has had a "thorough debate of the facts, the findings, and the intelligence presented to us" should lawmakers decide whether the United States should go to war with Iran, said Moulton, a Marine veteran who deployed to Iraq four times.


"Look, I fought Iranians when I was in Iraq," Moulton said at a news conference. "We will fight them again if we have to. But war right now is not necessary. None of us underestimate the threat that Iran poses. None of us would hesitate to use force if it led to a lasting peace. We know war with would be bloody and young Americans in the community we represent would pay the highest price. All of us came to Congress for a debate like this one."

It is not clear whether the amendment will be part of the House of Representatives' final version of the NDAA. Lawmakers are expected to begin voting on the amendments on Thursday. A similar amendment failed in the Senate last month.

Veterans groups have long called for Congress to re-examine the authorizations for military force passed nearly 20 years ago before the Afghanistan and Iraq wars, which have been used to justify other military actions in Syria, Libya, and elsewhere.

The leaders of Concerned Veterans for America and VoteVets wrote a 2018 opinion piece arguing it is time for Congress to reclaim its war-making powers by repealing the 2001 AUMF against Al-Qaeda, which begat the "Forever Wars."

Now both groups are mobilizing their members to demand that lawmakers support the proposed amendment requiring Trump to get a new authorization for any military action against Iran, said Will Goodwin, director of government relations for VoteVets.

"If Congress believes that we should go to war with Iran then Congress had better have the courage to stand up here and demand a vote on whether or not to authorize it," Goodwin said at Wednesday's news conference. "The idea that we would send young American men and women – who swore that oath to the Constitution – into a war that is itself unconstitutional is unacceptable."

Moulton acknowledged that Congress had spent the past 18 years "neglecting its duty" to authorize wars, but a new generation of veterans now serving as lawmakers are trying to finally rein in the president's war-making powers.

"This amendment says that the president cannot unilaterally act on the bad advice of [National Security Advisor] John Bolton," said Moulton, who is one of the 25 Democrats running for president.

"He can't lead us into a war with Iran that has no endgame or strategy without Congress' authorization. It says that the decision to go to war shall be decided by the body that is the closest representative of the American people."

SEE ALSO: Pentagon: We won't reveal proof Iran is behind recent Middle East attacks, but have we ever been wrong before?

WATCH NEXT: USS Abraham Lincoln Carrier Strike Group and US Air Force Flex On Iran's Doorstep

Maj. Matthew Golsteyn in Afghanistan. (Photo courtesy of Philip Stackhouse.)

Nearly a decade after he allegedly murdered an unarmed Afghan civilian during a 2010 deployment, the case of Army Maj. Matthew Golsteyn is finally going to trial.

Read More Show Less
In this May 28, 2019 file photo, Mullah Abdul Ghani Baradar, the Taliban group's top political leader, second left, arrives with other members of the Taliban delegation for talks in Moscow, Russia. (Associated Press/Alexander Zemlianichenko)

PESHAWAR, Pakistan (Reuters) - The Taliban have sent a delegation to Russia to discuss prospects for a withdrawal of U.S. troops from Afghanistan following the collapse of talks with the United States this month, officials from the insurgent group said.

The move, days after President Donald Trump canceled a planned meeting with Taliban leaders at his Camp David retreat, came as the movement looks to bolster regional support, with visits also planned for China, Iran and Central Asian states.

Read More Show Less
Joe Heller (Legacy.com)

Per his final demands, Joe Heller was laid in his casket Thursday in a T-shirt featuring the Disney dwarf Grumpy and the middle finger of his right hand extended. He also told his daughters to make sure and place a remote control fart machine in the coffin with him.

"My father always wanted the last laugh," daughter Monique Heller said.

The Essex volunteer firefighter and self-described local "dawg kecher" died on Sept. 8 at age 82, and the off-color obituary written by his youngest daughter has become a nationwide sensation — a lead item on cable news sites, a top story on The Courant's website and a post shared far and wide on social media.

Laced with bawdy humor, the irreverent but loving obit captured Heller's highly inappropriate nature and his golden heart, friends who filled the fire station for a celebration of his life on Thursday evening said.

Read More Show Less

A 19-year-old man who planned a July mass shooting at a West Lubbock hotel that was thwarted by his grandmother was upset that he was considered "defective" by the military when he was discharged for his mental illness, according to court records.

William Patrick Williams faces federal charges for reportedly lying on an application to buy the semiautomatic rifle he planned to use in a shooting, according to a federal indictment filed Aug. 14.

He is charged with a federal felony count of making a false material statement during the purchase of a firearm on July 11, a day before he planned to lure people out of a hotel and shoot them. The charge carries a punishment of up to five years in prison.

Read More Show Less
A photograph circulated by the U.S. State Department's Twitter account to announce a $1 million USD reward for al Qaeda key leader Hamza bin Laden, son of Osama bin Laden, is seen March 1, 2019. (State Department via Reuters)

Reuters) - Hamza bin Laden, a son of slain al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden and himself a notable figure in the militant group, was killed in a U.S. counter-terrorism operation, the White House said on Saturday.

Read More Show Less