US troops left behind dick drawings at an abandoned Syrian camp they knew Russian soldiers would take over

Mandatory Fun

VIDEO: The US withdraws from Syria, Turkey invades, and the Kurds are caught in the middle

Nothing says "hello" from one fighting force to another like a bunch of crude dick drawings.


On Tuesday, Russian reporter Oleg Blokhin posted a video of himself at an abandoned U.S. military outpost in Manbij, Syria alongside Russian military police, a video that presaged the potential arrival of Wagner Group private security contractors known to operate in the war-torn country.

Army Col. Myles Caggins, the chief spokesman for Operation Inherent Resolve, confirmed to NBC News that U.S. forces has evacuated from Manbij in line with the "deliberate withdrawal from northeast Syria" that President Donald Trump had ordered days earlier.

But while Blokhin's footage from the camp appears to show a U.S. outpost stripped of any sensitive vehicles or equipment, the Russian journalist did stumble onto a different trove of, uh sensitive documents:

(Telegram/Oleg Blokhin)

Ah yes, dicks and gay jokes, the tried-and-true mark of elite warfighters since Roman soldiers scrawled dongs into Hadrian's Wall at the empire's northernmost border more than 1,800 years ago.

But while some elements aren't surprising — that Cyrillic translates directly to "faggot," which, well, how very original — some are, most notably the "ur moms favorite jtac" graffiti and this delightful bit of political symbolism.

(Telegram/Oleg Blokhin)

War, war never changes — it just gets dumber and dumber.

Gen. Chuck Horner (ret.) commanded the air campaign of Desert Storm (Task & Purpose photo illustration)

When Air Force Gen. Chuck Horner (ret.) took to the podium at the dedication of the National Desert Storm and Desert Shield Memorial site in Washington D.C. last February, he told the audience that people often ask him why a memorial is necessary for a conflict that only lasted about 40 days.

Horner, who commanded the U.S. air campaign of that war, said the first reason is to commemorate those who died in the Gulf War. Then he pointed behind him, towards the Vietnam Veterans Memorial, where the names of over 58,000 Americans who died in Vietnam are etched in granite.

"These two monuments are inexorably linked together," Horner said. "Because we had in Desert Storm a president and a secretary of defense who did the smartest thing in the world: they gave the military a mission which could be accomplished by military force."

The Desert Storm Memorial "is a place every military person that's going to war should visit, and they learn to stand up when they have to, to avoid the stupidness that led to that disaster" in Vietnam, he added.

Now, 29 years after the operation that kicked Saddam Hussein's Iraqi army out of Kuwait began, the U.S. is stuck in multiple wars that Horner says resemble the one he and his fellow commanders tried to avoid while designing Desert Storm.

Horner shared his perspective on what went right in the Gulf War, and what's gone wrong since then, in an interview last week with Task & Purpose.

Read More
Staff Sgt. Logan Melgar (U.S. Army photo)

The Navy SEAL accused of strangling Army Special Forces Staff Sgt. Logan Melgar was promoted to chief petty officer two months after Melgar's death, according to a new report from The Daily Beast.

Read More
In this March 12, 2016, file photo, Marines of the U.S., left, and South Korea, wearing blue headbands on their helmets, take positions after landing on a beach during the joint military combined amphibious exercise, called Ssangyong, part of the Key Resolve and Foal Eagle military exercises, in Pohang, South Korea. (Associated Press/Yonhap/Kim Jun-bum)

Editor's Note: This article by Richard Sisk originally appeared on Military.com, a leading source of news for the military and veteran community.

U.S. troops are still ready to "fight tonight" against North Korea despite the indefinite suspension of major military training exercises on the Korean peninsula, Pentagon officials said Tuesday.

Read More
A C-17 Globemaster III assigned to the 911th Airlift Wing is towed across the flightline at March Air Reserve Base, California, Jan. 7, 2020. (Air Force photo by Joshua J. Seybert)

March Air Reserve Base in California will host nearly 200 U.S. citizens who were flown out of Wuhan, China due to the rapidly-spreading coronavirus, a Defense Department spokeswoman announced on Wednesday.

"March Air Reserve Base and the Department of Defense (DoD) stand ready to provide housing support to Health and Human Services (HHS) as they work to handle the arrival of nearly 200 people, including Department of State employees, dependents and U.S. citizens evacuated from Wuhan, China," said Pentagon press secretary Alyssa Farah in a statement on Wednesday.

Wuhan is the epicenter of the coronavirus, which is a mild to severe respiratory illness that's associated with symptoms of fever, cough and shortness of breath, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The virus has so far killed 132 people and infected nearly 6,000 others in China, according to news reports.

Read More

The number of U.S. troops diagnosed with Traumatic Brain Injury following Iran's missile attack on Al- Asad Air Base in Iraq now stands at 50, the Defense Department announced on Tuesday.

Read More